General 10th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Road noise 2017 civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chuffsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Road noise 2017 civic

In the past , road noise seemed to have been a low point some hondas including the civics. It certainly is noisy in my sons 2010 civic . i recently drove in a 2016 Corolla and the diiference is quite noticeable , the Corolla being being
quieter. Can someone chime in if the road noise is a better in the 2017 Civics .
Old 03-06-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Road noise 2017 civic

After the 2012 CR raking of the Civic for road noise the 2013s added sound deadening...would assume the 10th gens would have surely retained it.

After owning several Japanese autos, my 2013 is THE quietest to date.
Old 03-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone chime in if the road noise is a better in the 2017 Civics .
Take one for a test drive!
Old 03-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chuffsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks CW , Ezone , planning on a test drive.
Old 04-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beeker77 is an unknown quantity at this point

recently purchased 2017 civic sedan
the road noise is the worst that I have ever had in any car I have ever owned
including a 15 year old ford it was better than this
bery very very disappointed
Old 04-05-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beeker77
recently purchased 2017 civic sedan
the road noise is the worst that I have ever had in any car I have ever owned
including a 15 year old ford it was better than this
bery very very disappointed
You knowingly bought a car that has the worst road noise of any car you have ever owned? Tell you what, you can give me the 2017 civic and I will let you have my wife's 17 year old ford (taurus). I will even let you continue to make payments on the civic.

I bet I could make a new civic whisper quiet in a single weekend.
Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

2016Touring is an unknown quantity at this point

Seriously you find it noisy try going from a 1992 Geo Metro 2dr hatch to a 10th gen civic. Which do you think is more noisy.
Old 07-27-2017
Registered!!

the-op is an unknown quantity at this point

Just bought a 2017 civic roughly 2 months ago. Needed a good highway fuel mileage car.... the road noise is terrible. radio has to be turned up way to loud to make out any talk shows, car conversations seem like we might as well be yelling at each other. Other than that, GREAT CAR! lol
Old 08-01-2017
Registered!!

teders is an unknown quantity at this point

i've got a week old 2017 civic SI. I'm having trouble finding anything wrong with the car. The road noise may only be so much because of the stock tires. Pretty willing to bet that once i burn through these tires and get some new ones on, it will quiet down. Other than that, i would not say that what little road noise there is in the cabin, is a deal breaker for this car. So far i love mine.
Old 08-03-2017
Registered!!

the-op is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe it just seems so bad to me because I came from a truck that was silent. youre probably correct that it is the tires. It is my only complaint though. Well, I don't like having a volume **** for the radio, the touch and clicking for the volume on the display and the steering wheel is kind of annoying. But, I do like the little car.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

shanewoodsman is an unknown quantity at this point

We purchased one a few days ago and we are noticing the road noise more, now, than when we test drove it. I am not a mechanic (just a retired dude) but I am guessing it is because smaller cars are lighter and closer to the ground (and feel more bumps on the road) and possibly the tires installed on the car. Hopefully someone will read this topic one day, after they have changed their original set of tires, and they can give us suggestions on the most comfortable and quiet replacement tires for this vehicle. I also agree with previous comments about loving the car, other than the slightly annoying (at times) road noise. We are coming from an SUV that had much larger tires, and was a bigger/heavier vehicle - adjusting to the smaller vehicle, too.
Old 12-11-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Around here a lot of it is the roads themselves......

My sister lives in a town an hour away from me. The second my car crosses into their city limit, the pavement changes and my interior noise drops an amazing amount.

I think the town paved that part of highway with rubberized asphalt or something similar that is much less noisy than ordinary cement or ordinary asphalt.
Old 12-11-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Almost 1600 miles in my '18 hatch and its still a lot quieter than I'm used to. I do like the little engine rumble when I floor it. Lol.

Then again, my 2002 had a much stiffer suspension and full exhaust system
Old 07-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Necro-ing this thread a little; Go easy on me mods if you feel I'm in violation!

I'm getting new tires installed on my 2017 civic tomorrow, I'll report back and see if the stock tires are indeed a culprit in the higher-than-average road noise or not.

Might be good information for anyone who finds this thread via google.
Old 07-26-2018

Originally Posted by jordan1794
Necro-ing this thread a little; Go easy on me mods if you feel I'm in violation!

I'm getting new tires installed on my 2017 civic tomorrow, I'll report back and see if the stock tires are indeed a culprit in the higher-than-average road noise or not.

Might be good information for anyone who finds this thread via google.
Originals worn out? How many miles did they last?
Old 07-27-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read, swapping out from the stock continental tires to something good makes a world of difference in both noise and handling. As much as i would like that, im cheap af and just gonna upgrade when my stock tires wear out
Old 07-27-2018
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezone
Originals worn out? How many miles did they last?
Well, uhhh......uhhh y'see....what happened is......

Don't ask me how, but I went 40k miles without a tire rotation (haven't been rotated since the car was purchased). Fronts have no traction left in the rain (and I mean NO traction. Was quite terrifying the last few days with the heavy rain here on the east coast).
​​​​​​They have a teensy bit of tread left before the wear indicators.

The rears have quite a bit of tread left, but are incredibly noisy.

I won't have a biased comparison though; my girlfriend has the same exact car (other than color), and hers only has 12k miles. Once I get my new tires on I'm going to test (both by ear and sound meter) between the two.

Edit: when I update with my new tires I'll upload pictures of the tread left on my stock tires.

Last edited by jordan1794; 07-27-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2018
Registered!!

Results are in!

New tires are significantly quieter, and a surprise result with my old tires vs. my girlfriend's!

It would appear that the stock tires are simply loud. My old worn out ones averaged 70 dB, and my girlfriend's (which only have 12k miles and have been properly rotated) averaged.....70 dB!

Meanwhile, with my new tires (Yokohama Avid Ascend - H rated) I averaged 66 dB.

dB is a logarithmic scale, so the new tires reduced the in-cabin noise level by around 60%.

All measurements were taken on the same stretch of highway, at 70 mph (cruise control) and in the same lane. No other vehicles were around at the time of the tests
Old 07-30-2018

Is that dB meter a smartphone app?
Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

Yes, but (below 85 dB) it's fairly accurate. I'm pretty deep into car audio and have measured it alongside real high-end meters used for competition.

Under 85 dB it was always within 1-2 dB of the competition meters (Pointless for most car audio, but sufficient for this use IMO).

(Pretty sure 85 dB is the upper limit of what my phone can measure)
Old 01-08-2024
Registered!!

hogdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

I added some Kimat under the rear seat and trunk. It could use more under the carpet.