I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment - Audio) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Good way to prevent overload?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emaxxx4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good way to prevent overload?

Hello again. I was able to hook up an Android stereo head to my Civic, and in doing so I used a terminal strip I attached to the stereo mount. With this I have one of the sets of wires connected to the strip which includes, black, red, yellow, brown, and blue. these go to the associated wires on the harness and to the smaller amp connector. On the strip there are one or two connectors that don't go anywhere. While not 100% accurate it sort of looks like this:

I just purchased a camera I'd like to possibly use under the side view mirror, but it too needs power. It has a power adapter with red and white wires. These I already have connected to the associated parts of the terminal strip. The camera itself gets attached to an RCA cable that has red wires on both ends, waiting to be attached to a power source. The camera lights up as-is, but no video, so I have to connect those two red wires to a power source. Because of my existing setup with the terminal strip, I'm afraid of overloading the main power line on the strip. Would it be useful to route the red wire to another empty terminal on the strip on one side, then connect the other red wires from the camera to the opposite side, or does it not make any difference whatsoever? I wanted to do something like the following:

Old 09-12-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: Good way to prevent overload?

i would just be concerned that the power wire feeding your strip is of adequate gauge and gets power from a good connection, not something lazy and dangerous like a "tap-a-fuse" and free of shady connectors like the one in the picture below i found on my beater.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	112497  
Old 09-12-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

How many amps is the strip rated for? How many amps is the camera and other equipment plugged into the strip? Where is the power to the strip coming from?

Cars dont have terminal strips in them...
Old 09-12-2018
Registered!!

Correct. The terminal strip is something I added as I wasn't sure if I were going to make permanent connections.. I did a search for the SWM 8802 but didn't find power specs. I'll did a little deeper.. Also not sure of the amperage of the camera.. I'll search for that and get back to you.
Old 09-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by emaxxx4
Would it be useful to route the red wire to another empty terminal on the strip on one side, then connect the other red wires from the camera to the opposite side, or does it not make any difference whatsoever?
Only if it's a pain in the butt to get all the wire under the terminal. Hopefully you have some fork connectors crimped onto the end of the wire so it's a little cleaner and will prevent a stray wire from touching the other wires. I just looked up a Pioneer camera and it uses 100mAmps or less so I don't think you have to worry about anything. A double din touch screen radio says it could have a max consumption of 10Amps so the camera is pretty insignificant by comparison.
Old 09-13-2018
Registered!!

Yes, I do. The terminal has little dividers between each set of connections (dunno if that's normal or not). And yes I have each wire crimped to a fork connection. Some like permanent ground and power connections I have crimped with a ring terminal on the end. But others like the blue amp wire from the small harness I have a fork connector so it can be easily removed if I have to remove the head unit and dash panel.

I had a hard time finding any power consumption data on the head and camera, so I appreciate your input.
Old 09-13-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You should be fine tapping into that power for the camera.

Is the terminal strip mounted to the car or just hanging out somewhere? I ask as a concern for vibration and one of the screws coming loose.
Old 09-13-2018
Registered!!

With all the holes in the stereo mount that came with the dash piece, I have it attached to the inside of the plastic mounting plate via a nut and bolt. It swings out if needed but is tightened securely. (Actually one of the things I took pride in doing, haha).