10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Civic LX maintenance schedules

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic LX maintenance schedules

Hello,

Just got 2018 Civic LX today. I would like to know when services such as oil change, Transmission fluid change, brake fluid change, air filter, spark plugs, and etc need to be done. I will do those services myself. Someone said should be done earlier than manual suggestion.

Should I do oil change with Mobile 1 Synthetic at 7,000 miles or regular oil at 3,000 miles?

Thank you,
Tony
Old 05-14-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic LX maintenance schedules

For the most part, follow the maintenance minder

My dealership mailed me a thingy with maintenance minder code breakdown on it after I got my '18 Sport hatch. However, my owner's manual has it a bit more specific to my car, and probably the same is listed in your owners manual (if you have one).
• Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.
Main Items
  1. Replace Engine Oil (*1)
  2. • Replace the engine oil (*1) and oil filter.
    • Inspect front and rear brakes.
    • Check expiration date for Temporary Tire Repair kit bottle (if equipped).
    • Inspect these items:
    • Tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
    • Suspension components
    • Driveshaft boots
    • Brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA)
    • All fluid levels and condition of fluids
    • Exhaust system (#)
    • Fuel Lines and connections (#)
Sub Items
  1. Rotate Tires.
    • Replace air cleaner element (*2)
    • Replace dust and pollen filter (*3)
    • Inspect drive belt
  3. Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped). (*4)
    • Replace spark plugs
    • Inspect valve clearance.
  5. Replace engine coolant.
  6. Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped). [this item is omitted in my owners manual]
  7. Replace brake fluid. (*5)

(*1) If a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year
(#) See information on maintenance and emissions warranty.
(*2) If you drive in dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner elements every 15,000 miles.
(*3) If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace the dust and pollen filter every 15,000 miles.
(*4) Continuously variable transmission models Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive you vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 25,000 miles.
(*5) If a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 36 months after the display for item 7 is reset, change the brake fluid every 3 years.
Since you said miles and not km, I think it's safe to assume you're not in Canada. There's a slightly different Maintenance Minder list for Canadian vehicles.

From my limited research online and perusing various forums other than this one, I've read that you're not supposed to change engine oil early for your first change, since the oil from factory has a higher molybdenum content than off-the-shelf oils to help with engine break in or something. I'm sure someone can clarify on that one for us. I'm currently at about 5400 miles on my '18 hatch, and my first maintenance minder (A1 - Change oil, rotate tires) is on, but I have no intention on changing the oil until I hit about 20% oil life remaining. I'm currently sitting at 40% oil life remaining.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

FYI I've been seeing item #7 come up as early as the second MM suggested oil change instead of 3 years.
Old 05-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much.
Old 09-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ducebigalow is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 18 civic hatch lx as well (Canada), and the dealership told me NOT to change the oil until the reminder came on or until the percentage was about 15 - 20, due to the polymers in the oil etc etc. After the first one they said I could change it every 2 wks if I wanted.
Old 09-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducebigalow
I have a 18 civic hatch lx as well (Canada),
How many KMS on it now?
Which engine is in is?
Have you checked the oil on the dipstick yet?
Does it still look clean? Dirty?
Is it low?
Or....Is it alarmingly over the full line?

and the dealership told me NOT to change the oil until the reminder came on or until the percentage was about 15 - 20,
There are varying theories on this.
The manufacturer wants the oil to stay in there until the minder says to change it, BUT at the same time the owners manual tells you to change oil at the one year mark if the service reminder has not come on yet.
You could have 300 km showing on the odometer and yet your one year is up, Would they (your local dealer) still not change it then?

At my dealer we suggest waiting until the minder says to change it, but if the customer still wants it done we gladly change the oil and collect their money.

due to the polymers in the oil etc etc
No.
. After the first one they said I could change it every 2 wks if I wanted.
That would be a waste, for sure.