10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Jacking points

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mig21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Jacking points

Hi

On an older car the "reinforced" ridge which I've been using to jack up the vehicle is starting to collapse, so I've been thinking of ways to avoid that with the newer 2016 civic.

The last time I raised it I noticed that there are the reinforced ridges exposed on the corners, obviously intended for jacking. The rest of the ridges are covered with some sort of crappy plastic, presumably to nudge me into jacking at the corners.

Problem is - there isn't enough steel exposed to both jack it up and put it down on a stand. I either put the jack in there or the stand, but not both.

I'm assuming that it's better to have the stand in the intended jacking points, since that's where the car will spend most of its time raised.

So my quesiton is - what do you figure is the best place to put the jack for raising/lowering? On the covered parts of the reinforced ridges, closer to the middle of the car? All the way in the middle? Or closer to the corner but on some other part of the underbody?

Or should I come up with some kind of contraption to spread out the weight over a distance longer than the relatively tiny jack head?

What do you do (assuming you use the jack/stand combo as me)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jacking points

Subframe?
Old 01-23-2018
Registered!!

Is that going to keep the weight long term? I.e. after 50 jackings, years later, will it crumble?
Old 01-23-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd tell you to take a look at it but it's covered by a bunch of plastic panels.
It is strong, but if you find it crumbling I'd say it's time to get rid of the car.
Old 01-23-2018
Registered!!

Ok makes sense.

The old one cost over 40k and we need to wait a few more years to save up for a replacement.

I guess in the meantime I'll be extra careful making sure it doesn't crumble on top of my head when I'm down there

Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-24-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

in the 2002, there's an arrow in the under plastic cover to indicate where to place the jack at the front. I do check with the hand if the jack is in position at the subframe before pushing it up. On the rear, i just use the rear suspension frame.
done that, you place the jackstands under the chassis
Old 01-24-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Use ramps more. Unless your removing a tire in which they are useless lol
Old 01-24-2018

Originally Posted by GolNat
Use ramps more. Unless your removing a tire in which they are useless lol
Just use one ramp and make the car tripod LOL
Old 01-24-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
Just use one ramp and make the car tripod LOL
Lol even better!!!

Curb and ditch work also. No need to buy anything!