Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Spark plug upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99civic360 is an unknown quantity at this point
Spark plug upgrade

Will putting hks racing spark plugs in my stock engine hurt the engine or wear out the spark plugs any faster?
Old 06-10-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spark plug upgrade

Is there something wrong with the correct NGK plugs?

I don't give a F*** what the advertising says.
Spark plugs do not gain you power.
The wrong plugs will make you lose power though.

HTH
Old 06-11-2012
Registered!!

I was just wondering if there were advantages or disadvantages to racing spark plugs.
Old 06-11-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Zero advantage for you
A big waste of your hard earned loot.

The only ones coming out ahead are the ones making and selling them.

JMHO, HTH
Old 06-11-2012
Registered!!

Thanks
Old 06-11-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

regular copper ngk or denso for stock replacement, ngk or denso iridium for highest performance (no hp gain, but less electrical load to make the same spark). both will only last around 30k miles. if you want long life, stick with double platinum. you will not feel a difference in how the car runs, but iridium will be more efficient and possibly give slightly more mileage.
Old 06-12-2012

Originally Posted by gearbox
regular copper ngk or denso for stock replacement, ngk or denso iridium for highest performance (no hp gain, but less electrical load to make the same spark). both will only last around 30k miles. if you want long life, stick with double platinum. you will not feel a difference in how the car runs, but iridium will be more efficient and possibly give slightly more mileage.
Disagree on a few of these, GB.
Maybe even agree and clarify why....

Regular plain spark plugs wear the electrodes.
The spark gap increases as wear occurs.
The wear is obvious by the 30k replacement interval.
(Run them to 100k and the gap will be nearly double what it started out at. This puts a tremendous amount of extra load on the ignition system, it now has to double the amount of energy to ionize the gap.)
Coil and igniter life can suffer with the increased demands on the system.

"Performance" of the spark plug diminishes as the electrode tip gets rounded. "Performance" also diminishes as the gap changes away from specs.

Platinum and Iridium both give long life with almost zero wear of the electrodes over the expected lifetime of the plug.
Both are easily 100k plugs regardless of the engine you install them in (provided the engine doesn't foul them for other reasons).
The only "performance" advantage is in the electrodes sharper pointed design.
(Not really "performance" with the same meaning that all the kids think it should mean. That's why I'm using quote marks on the word.)

The basic electrical load is determined only by the spark gap, in this case it is spec'd at 1.1mm. The amount of energy required to ionize (spark across) the 1.1mm gap is the same regardless of the materials the plug is made of.

Variables come into play for energy required---once the engine is running (compression, mixtures, turbulence, RPM, etc.), but that's not important for this.

HTH
Old 06-12-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

makes sense. so what you are saying is over time the iridiums will keep the same performance whereas copper will constantly get worse. denso only rates the iridiums for 30k miles tho, prolly due to the ground electrode still being regular nickel and the tip being fragile. i personally would only run iridiums and i change em every 30k, because i want the best and every small mod adds up.
Old 06-12-2012

iridiums will keep the same performance whereas copper will constantly get worse.
Exactly.
The gap gets bigger as the electrodes wear. That's where the change/wear happens, in the electrodes.

denso only rates the iridiums for 30k miles tho,
Never noticed that.
I also have never read that particular manufacturers' hype.
Follow the money though, that's why they recommend early replacement I'd bet.

You can unravel many mysteries if you follow the money.

prolly due to the ground electrode still being regular nickel and the tip being fragile.
Yes, the electrode tips are fragile, that's why the average Joe isn't supposed to gap them. But once installed, there isn't anything going on to damage the tip. (If there is, then you got bigger problems!)

So far, I have never seen ground electrode wear on Denso or NGK plugs....at least on the plugs I pull out of all these cars. Can't really prove wear by measuring the gaps either.

IDK about the plugs sold at discount parts stores, they may or may not be any different. I'm only dealing with factory stuff here.

(I HAVE seen ground electrode wear on plenty of other brands over the years. GMs plugs used to be known for losing the platinum button off of the ground electrode, THEN the wear started. Wasn't a problem with OE Delco labeled NGK plugs.)

If they are charging more than $5 per plug, they had BETTER be good for 100k. LOL.

Iridium Densos are OE in like half of the 8th gens, and Iridium NGK are in the other half. They are 100k plugs in these cars, with this type of ignition system.
Replacing at 30k is a waste of money, IMO.
Unless "Sunday parts store" grade versions actually are built differently, but I just can't imagine that from that brand.
If this is actually true, then I'm all wet.

Platinum and Iridium plugs from NGK or Denso: I have never been able to discern any visible wear when I pull them at 100k+. Even at 200k+ (on the low-maintenance customers) I still can't tell there is any wear. This is why I would run them for a lifetime, unless the engine fouls them.
But I'm a cheapass like that.

----------------------------------
In my old Buick (1990 Park Avenue, 3.8L), I took a set of Delco-NGK Platinums that came OUT of a much newer GM car with 100k, and put them all IN my engine that had conventional AC-Delco plugs... Been that way for years.
I'm a cheapass like that.

------------------------------------

My opinions.
HTH
Old 06-13-2012
Premium Member

well to be fair, denso also says the iridiums will not increase hp at all. not something they would say if they were really out to make money like many other plug companies. they are actually very honest about the product. i guess i shouldve been more specific about the life. their highest performance racing plugs with smallest gap is rated for 30k. there is also a long life version that lasts well over 100k but with a larger electrode.

http://densoiridium.com/faq.php

Q. What kind of performance will I get from this plug?
A. Generally, you do not purchase spark plugs for performance enhancement. While DENSO Iridium Power spark plugs have contributed to numerous accomplishments through dyno-testing and actual use, their true benefit lies in their efficiency, durability, and improved firing power. Serious tuners modify their vehicles by increasing boost through turbo-chargers, super-chargers, and Nitrous. They are also known to add high-energy ignition systems, tinker with timing, adjust fuel mixture ratios, and increase horsepower through other means. Putting these kinds of demands on their engine increases the need for an efficient, durable spark plug that can handle these kind of harsh environments. That%u2019s where DENSO Iridium Power can make a major difference.

Q. How long will Iridium Last?
A. Iridium use represents the most significant technological advance in automotive spark plug manufacturing, since platinum was introduced in the early eighties. As vehicle manufacturers produce increasingly complex and efficient automobiles, there is a greater need for long-life plugs that can tolerate leaner fuel mixtures and improved combustion processes. DENSO has responded to this need by developing its Iridium alloy, originally for OE applications. For example, many newer Lexus%u2019 and Toyota models carry an ultra long-life Iridium plug variation (.7mm with platinum tipped ground) that is capable of up to 120,000 miles of service. DENSO Iridium Power plugs, with their .4mm center electrode, have been developed for performance applications. Because gradual wear will %u201Cround-off%u201D firing points over time, the concentrated firing power and voltage requirement benefits will be reduced. For this reason, DENSO advises replacement after 30,000 miles.