Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

tune up/basic performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dkdontforget is an unknown quantity at this point
tune up/basic performance questions

Hey everyone! I'm new here (haven't yet been able to update my profile cus I'm on my phone)

But, my mom is going to be handing me down her 2000 civic dx it have 175k miles on it, and nothing has been done to it besides a few basic tune ups and oil changes every three months

I'm just starting to get into cars and I want to know what things can I do to return some lost power (with the few things she's done there has to be things that need cleaned or replaced) and just make it run a little better

Also every so often when the car starts it idles pretty high around 1500 rpms, and its not just heating up it will stay like the for like 10 min even after driving. Then it will return to normal. Other times its just normal it only does it every so often
Old 05-04-2012
Registered!!

chris00SI is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: tune up/basic performance questions

The idle air control module could be going out.
Old 05-04-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Clean the IAC valve and throttle body, that will help it idle and bring back lost power. Also check the plugs. If they are not NGK or Denzo then throw them out and get NGK or Denzo.
Old 06-06-2012
Registered!!

dkdontforget is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, will do. i will also be going to stinson beach within the next few weeks (steep, hairpin turny moutain roads) and i was wondering what i should check because i dont want to get stranded. just got an oil change a few weeks ago and coolant level is good. the car has 180k mi on it if i didnt mention

2000 civic DX all stock
Old 06-06-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a fun trip!! Check your spark plugs, air filter, all your belts, and tire pressures. If you want to make the mountain roads more fun and safe, replacing some worn suspension parts will help (ball joints, end links, control arm bushings, tie rod ends). It's up to you and how much you want to spend. If any of those things have never been replaced then they are definitely bad. Some of those suspension parts can be bad if they break (you will be stranded) but you will generally hear them clunking or knocking a long time before they give out.