Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

The hell is wrong with my car? (fipk2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
The hell is wrong with my car? (fipk2)

Ok, I don't know what's up with my car ... I have a 2002 ex. The only performance mods I have on it so far is a custom 2.25'' catback with some sort of generic 5zigen fireball style muffler and I just got the K&N fipk2 today.

To sum up, when I got my exhaust installed, I drove home with it with the silencer in. There was quite a bit of power increase....in the low end. As time passed, I became comfortable with driving with my silencer off (because my muffler is VERY VERY loud) and I noticed that the low end sucks, but there is a ton of high end power ... which is what I want. I wanted lots of high end power.

Ok, so today I purchased a K&N fipk 2 and installed it. I noticed there is a LOT of low end ... but the high end sucks. Now I've read some reviews on this site and all of them seem to say that the fipk 2 takes away from low end and gives a lot of high end power (which is what I wanted) ... though my high end sucks now ... and I'm pretty disgruntled about that. I dunno ... is my car ****ed up or what? and afaik, an exhaust is supposed to give you high end power. I thought my high end would increase with the intake because of a less restrictive air intake to the throttle body.

The only thing I can think of that is taking away from the high end is the header. That is still stock, yet I don't know if that would restrict it that much. Any help ... ?
Old 03-01-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
i dont think headers would make the much of a noticeable difference. you might wanna consider getting a cat back such as greddy,tanade, or dc sports. u prolly dont have the best exhaust in the world therefore not giving you a balance that you need from the intake and exhaust.

injen
Old 03-01-2003
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
how do you know you're gaining high or low end? butt dyno?

all of those mods should kill your low end... the FIPK will probably bring it down a bit.. but not much... an exhaust will also kill the low end... 'specailly a 2.25 pipping with a stock engine...

hp and torque.

depends on the actual exhaust.

I took a look again at the ex's exhaust system today.. and aside from the cat convertor... the stock system looks pretty good to me already. though I'd think they can design a manifold (header) that puts out more power either in the low,mid,or high end.. by increasing the length of the primaries...

er... i'm getting off track.

back to first question, how do you know you're losing or gaining low/high end? you feel it?

as for the header.. replacing the upper section doesn't do much IMO. its too short, and none of the ones I've seen on the market has any difference in design changes where it'll affect hp/torque, except for bigger pipping.

if you want, you can try to swap out the top section header (assuming you got an ex) with an aftermarket one with bigger pipping.. to compliment the 2.25 custom catback you got... although the cat convertor and downpipe will still be a bottleneck.. but maybe it'll help a bit.

make sure you've resetted the ECU too, when you're done installing the FIPK.
Old 03-01-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
reset the ecu, eh? ... would that make that big of a difference ... ?

hmm... yah, I can feel the increased/decreased high/low end power fluctuations ...
Old 03-01-2003
Registered!!

GLi4dr is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]CapYoda
I took a look again at the ex's exhaust system today.. and aside from the cat convertor... the stock system looks pretty good to me already. though I'd think they can design a manifold (header) that puts out more power either in the low,mid,or high end.. by increasing the length of the primaries... [hr]
Do you have any infomation on what size, as in length or diameter piping you would use on your headers
to get hi, mid, or low end??

-Thnx
Old 03-01-2003
Registered!!

SLAMMED01CIV is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: aznboysrfr
reset the ecu, eh? ... would that make that big of a difference ... ?

hmm... yah, I can feel the increased/decreased high/low end power fluctuations ...[hr]
When you reset the ECU after installing an aftermarket intake, it compensates for the increase in airflow. Technically you do not have to reset it. It will eventually reset itself over time when it gets used to the increased airflow.
Old 03-01-2003
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: aznboysrfr
Ok, so today I purchased a K&N fipk 2 and installed it. I noticed there is a LOT of low end ... but the high end sucks. Now I've read some reviews on this site and all of them seem to say that the fipk 2 takes away from low end and gives a lot of high end power [hr]
That's exactly the opposite of what i've heard about the FIPK II. It's suppost to give you low end, not high. AEM or Injen is suppost to give high end. Just thought I might include this
Old 03-01-2003
Escaped Convict

[hr]Originally posted by: GLi4dr
[hr]CapYoda
I took a look again at the ex's exhaust system today.. and aside from the cat convertor... the stock system looks pretty good to me already. though I'd think they can design a manifold (header) that puts out more power either in the low,mid,or high end.. by increasing the length of the primaries... [hr]
Do you have any infomation on what size, as in length or diameter piping you would use on your headers
to get hi, mid, or low end??

-Thnx[hr]
read this:

http://www.hadamotorsport.com/tech/review/dsemc/

or this:

http://www.hondalife.com/articles/bseriesheader.htm

to get some info.

we're really restricted because our downpipe is welded onto the cat convertor... there isn't enough distance for any aftermarket header to be 4-2-1, or a different 4-1... you can go custom... cut off the pippings before the cat convertor.. and get a custom header done... i suspect we can really really tweak the power ranges then if you do that... but unfortunately we're stuck with what we got.

from our ex header system... with the short 4-1 primaries into a short, semi large diameter collector... we're looking at more peak power.

but, what with header design these days.. we should realize that:

4-1 = more peak hp with a loss in midrange torque and 4-2-1 = more midrange torque with less peak hp is an obsolete idea.

the way people design the header these days.. hybrid 4-1s and what not... changes that.

in either case doesn't apply much to us since we dont have a lot of options. lol.
Old 03-01-2003
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
Dude, I have an 02 EX too. Mozart rear-section, and K&N FIPKII. First I did the exhaust. It was only a rear section so my low end wasn't really lost but my high end slightly improved. I then put in the intake, made my low end smoother, but after about 4000rpms it started pulling a lot harder, and yes I can hear my vtec engage along with other people. Granted I don't feel a huge jump or anything it does help me a lot. I would reset your ECU and see what happens. If you read the directions it tells you to disconnect your negative terminal fromt the battery, which resets your ECU. Tisk tisk! Well good luck anyway man. You should have more high end though.
Old 03-01-2003
Registered!!

Thnx for that Cap Yoda, ill go have a look at that now...
but there is just one lil thing, I have an Aussie GLi Sedan, [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
meaning that there is the header, that bolts onto a dump pipe
that BOLTS, thats right [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] BOLTS onto my cat, would this help?? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-01-2003
Escaped Convict

[hr]Originally posted by: GLi4dr
Thnx for that Cap Yoda, ill go have a look at that now...
but there is just one lil thing, I have an Aussie GLi Sedan, [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
meaning that there is the header, that bolts onto a dump pipe
that BOLTS, thats right [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] BOLTS onto my cat, would this help?? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
oh bullshit.

do you have a 7th gen civic? as with our body chassis and D17A2 engine??

if you do, then you're a lucky guy.

the bad news is... unless there's an australian aftermarket company that makes header for your car... you'll have to go custom.

hopefully there's an australian aftermarket company... OR, some other region civics dont have welded on downpipe... will come out with an aftermarket header for you.

length and tub size is what matters... header design is pretty complicated... when you are restricted to a certain size and area (ground clearance) to get rid of the exhaust fumes as fast as possible from the engine.. as smooth as possible.. and at the right time...

maybe u should consider contacting a local performance shop...

come to think of it, that may be how the er.. philippine guys got that custom 4-2-1 setup.

if the USDM vics aren't welded on... we'll be seeing so much different header designs our head will spin.
Old 03-01-2003
Registered!!

Tis the same engine, 7th gen, sedan civic...sorry
But yeah, no australian companies are making anything to my knowledge
I was goint custom, I just thought you might have had some sort of
plan on what you wanted, as in size and length etc...
nevermind, thnx heaps for your help..
oh and another thing seing that our dollar is soooo crap, why couldnt you ring
a jap spares place*I have two good places if you want to know more* and order
the dump pipe with the flange on the end...no no nevermind, would prolly be easier
for you to have it made up then to order one, then the cat would be the wrong one for you
just a thought...
Old 03-01-2003
Escaped Convict

good idea.. but yeah be cheaper if I just cut it and flange it at the shop.. might get wrong cat too.

no I was still figuring out whats the best tube size and length... those sites and some of the sites they also link to have some good info...

in either case I have no plans right now to do anything... thin wallet.