Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

This noob thinks he understands intakes! (plus some non-n00b questions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
This noob thinks he understands intakes! (plus some non-n00b questions)

Alright. I've done a ton of searches and read almost all the threads so I'll try not to ask n00b intake questions. That being said, the following is what I've gathered about our cars and intakes. Please correct any that are wrong:

-There is no major difference between similar products of the major brands (AEM, Iceman, etc)
-SRI will deliver hot air, so their strength lies in the fact that they can deliver MORE air FASTER than the stock intake
-CAI get cold air from down lower. Cooler air is superior to warmer air and therefore delivers more hp.
-AEM CAI's don't fit auto cars.
-Injen's CAI's do (but are these legal? CARB exempt or whatever it's called?)
-Intakes don't add as much power to the 7th gen Civics as they did to previous generation Civics due to our more restrictive catalytic convertor. (same goes for exhaust and headers)

Right?

Are there any aftermarket intakes out there that have been shown (real dyno or butt dyno) to produce less hp/torque than the stock intake?

The general consensus is that
This generation II K&N SRI is pretty good, right? For anyone that has it, how has it worked for you? I've been thinking stronly about ordering one.

What about that one vs. the Injen CAI? If the Injen one is illegal then nevermind.

Finally, if cold air is so much better, why hasn't anyone invented an intake cooling system that blows cold air (from a generator or something) into the intake? Just wondering.

Alright thanks. I think I'm going to order an intake soon and I want to be as informed as possible. My car is automatic, btw.

IronFist
Old 08-02-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
I'm pro stock.

just because selling out 200 dollars for something that wont do that much but make your throttle sound louder... doesnt' seem worth it. (to me.)

but, if money isn't an option, I'll go with the K&N FIPK (thats the generation 2 one you mention)
or Iceman, if thats even out.

I wouldn't go for the SRI at all, InJen or AEM or whatever else... stock is obviously better.

the CAI are better than SRI I guess, but I dont want to deal with hydrolock. I know its rare, but it does happen. I know someone first hand with that problem. He had a bypass valve on too (proves that bypass only works if the filter is submerge in water, water splashing on the filter will/may still get into the throttle body)

BUT, the FIPK and Iceman is soooo expensive! so maybe an ebay CAI is a better idea, then slap on a better filter.

edit: its obvious I'm a cheap guy. but I duno, the money you save, you can buy other stuff with it. no?
Old 08-02-2002
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
[hr]Originally posted by: EvilDave666
wtf? i didnt get if u were asking a question or telling us something.[hr]
Am I still too much of a n00b here to be an ***?

The questions were the ones that ended with "?" The statements I listed were what I believe to be true that I was asking for confirmation on. Hence the "right?" at the end. Then I was asking for opinions on the FIPK vs. CAIs.

Hmm. Hope that helped clarify

IronFist
Old 08-02-2002
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
First of all, I don't think its a good idea to refer to yourself as a noob. Second, it doesn't matter if you're a noob, a member, or a moderator, you shouldn't be an *** to the people here or anywhere else. It just isn't polite. You're not gonna notice a huge difference with an intake, you will notice some difference. But nothing insane. I plan on getting the K&N FIPK, from what I've read, they have the best product offered. I'll have it within a couple months. I thought the AEM intake didn't fit autos. But I could be mistaken. If you wanna invent a generator for your intake, be my guest. But the sheer size and weight of it would probably cancel out any gain you would receive. Don't worry about an illegal intake (although I can't see why it would be,) I've never had a cop ask me to pop my hood so he could check for illegal parts. But you seem to be very enthusiastic about your new car, and theres nothing wrong with that. Just my two cents.
Old 08-02-2002
Premium Member

EvilDave666, haha

White2k2ex, thanks for the reply. I guess it is dumb to refer to myself as a noob, but since I am I might as well joke about it. I really know almost nothing about cars so that's why I'm here. Anyway, about the AEM intake, the CAI doesn't fit autos but the SRI does. At least that's what I'm told.

IronFist
Old 08-02-2002
I sure wish my car was newer

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Did you just turn 16 or something?
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
CARB exempt is only for people in the state of California...if you live in any other state don't worry about it. Injen or AEM cold air intakes are the best (use K&N filters). Injen if you have an auto. Injen filter sits really low to the ground compared to the AEM on. You can use the AEM bypass valve on the Injen. Coolder air is denser (more packed into a sample space)that warmer air....that is the idea behind cold air intakes. Its the engine and it being and economy orianted engine that prevents massive gians from simple bolt ons. And this "generator" you talk of...its called forced induction.
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: IronFist
Finally, if cold air is so much better, why hasn't anyone invented an intake cooling system that blows cold air (from a generator or something) into the intake? Just wondering.

IronFist[hr]

Psssst......Turbo.....
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
I own a 2001 civic with aem cold,. and magnaflow exhaust, I notice a difference =)
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

SpitakHye is an unknown quantity at this point
Eh, Stick to your STOCK, you have an AT, so its not gonna really matter.
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

Silver2k1Dood is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep your stock airbox, get a K&N panel filter when they come out, then extend the intake tube all the way to the lower portion of your bumper. This is the best way of getting colder, denser air into your intake.
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

BeefMan is an unknown quantity at this point
I was actually thinking about the very same thing you were talking about injecting cold air directly into the intake. I know you can already do this with N2O and turbo setups but It seems like manufacturers would have a small tube pumping cool air into the intake when you have the AC on so the loss of power you get when the AC is on might be gained back.
Old 08-02-2002
Premium Member

Ok. Which would you pick, K&N's FIPK or an Injen CAI? I was all ready to order the FIPK when my friend said that a true CAI would be better and I should get Injen's instead. They're only $2 difference in price, so I want to get the most effective one. Although I guess I'd also have to buy an AEM bypass valve with the CAI...

So which is better? Anyone used both? Which did you like more?

Oh, and for whoever asked (white2k2ex i think) I'm 21, I didn't just turn 16. I've just never been interested in cars before. That's all.

IronFist
Old 08-09-2002
Registered!!

Niter1dah is an unknown quantity at this point
I just recently jumped into the world of car modding myself. I too was shopping a while ago and did alot of research on all the intakes in existance as far as I know. I bought the Injen CAI because it was a true CAI. Anyhow, Just about any intake on the market will do good for your ride as long as you take care of it.

I think the part you will like most is getting to know your car if you are new to all of this. Dont forget to take pictures while you work on it. Its like taking baby pictures
Old 08-09-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got some miles on my FIPK now and am noticing seat of the pants differences between 4000 and 6000 RPM. Accleration in the passing ranges is better. I have an EX automatic. Torque with the FIPK is a little lower in the 3000 to 3500 RPM range, but I can live with that. The power seems to be there at routine highway speeds and up. Full throttle performance between 60 to 100 MPH seems much better.

A point about cold air. Yes it is denser than hot air, but now by much, considering the difference in outside air and under the hood air. Air also heats up going through pipes. The CAI piping is twice as long as the SRI. It's also known that moist air is denser than dry air. Ever notice how well a car runs on a moderate warm humid day? So why doesn't someone make a water vapor injector for our cars? I know this has been done in racing, etc to increase power. Is that too complicated for a DIY or aftermarket add on?

Just in case of flames...........No I don't drive 100 MPH all the time, but when I get a chance I likd to try things out. Once in a while a burst of acceleration is the best way to get out of some traffic situations. Not much use putting on mods, and then plugging along at 60 or 70 MPH all the time. Might as well have a little Focus or something for that.
Old 08-28-2003
Registered!!

X-R8ED is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by nbpEMCivic
CARB exempt is only for people in the state of California...if you live in any other state don't worry about it. Injen or AEM cold air intakes are the best (use K&N filters). Injen if you have an auto. Injen filter sits really low to the ground compared to the AEM on. You can use the AEM bypass valve on the Injen. Coolder air is denser (more packed into a sample space)that warmer air....that is the idea behind cold air intakes. Its the engine and it being and economy orianted engine that prevents massive gians from simple bolt ons. And this "generator" you talk of...its called forced induction.
I think the guy talkin about the generator providing cold air(compressed air) was on to something other then turbo or nitrous.
I have been thinking of mfg a forced air induction system via bottled compressed air into the intake piping similar to a nitrous set up.
theoretically it should work similar to a turbo forcing compressed air.
has anyone ever thought about this or know anyone that has tried this or something similar?
I need somone who has some to alot of experience w/forced induction(nos,turbo, or supercargers)

Last edited by X-R8ED; 08-28-2003 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2003
Registered!!

nunzio42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Aight someone above wrote that just buy an intake off ebay and change the filter. Is this a good idea? i am just assuming that the ebay 30.00 deal, is not necessarly the best thing for my car. After all u get what u pay for right? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2003
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Ok. Intakes will make you lose some low end torque, esp with collaboration of a huge exhaust (tanabe). I just took off my Tanabe and put back on my stock until my new exhaust comes and WOW low end torque was like a gift. Even on its own teh intake will cause a loss n low end, but you will re-coop the loss in the mid-high range. Anyway, SRIs suck warm air=true. A heatshield will help you a bit on this, but not anything significant. As far as CAI, in theory it works better because it is sucking in cooler air that the air that is in the motor bay. The ratio is for every 10 degrees you can drop the temp of the air intake temp you gain 1 hp. Think of that!

FYI there are intakes that pump cool air (cyrogenics intakes) pump like -80 degrees F or something.
Old 08-28-2003

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
I definately lost low end with my CAI, I really noticed it at the track esp.
Old 08-28-2003
Registered!!

HomerSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Ironfist I have the K&N FIPK 2 on my car and love it. Like you said no intake shows much inprovement on our engines.
Old 08-28-2003
Registered!!

X-R8ED is an unknown quantity at this point
no, the piping is pretty much the same on all of them just finishes and coatings are usually what makes them more expensive(and the fact that they are name brand makes it cost more).
Like Tommy Hilfiger clothes are the same quality as no name clothes
but Hilfiger gear costs more b/c of the logo.
Just go w/ a K&N cone filter on a no name pipe.
Old 09-14-2003
Registered!!

lid6662 is an unknown quantity at this point
Heres is my thread on my ebay cold air intake for like 50 bucks! Works like a sri or a cai!
CHeck it out

Thread
Old 09-14-2003
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I had an AEM SRI and finally decided stock is better. The intakes are too loud and don't do much. They actually rob lower end power. Just get a K&N drop in OEM filter so you won't have to worry about buying any more filters or cleaning it for a while.
Old 09-14-2003
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
The reason our cars do not improve much with bolt ons is that Honda increased the efficiency of the D17.

I got the K & N FIPK II and I have enjoyed its response. I think that K & N did its homework, and I doubt just slapping a filter on the end of a tube would match what teh FIPK is.

If you don't want to spend the money, just get the drop in and forget about it.
Old 09-14-2003
Premium Member

Guys, I made that first post like a year ago I got a K&N FIPKII like 6 months ago and I like it. You can see pics in My Ride.