Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Quiet high flow exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joemommaaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Quiet high flow exhaust?

I have an 01 ex and my cat has started to rattle internally. I am in an area where I dont have to smog so I just purchased an ebay header/downpipe that bolts up to the stock exhaust. I like the way it sounds a tad louder then stock but not loud. I would like to change the rest of the exhaust to 2.5" to match the header but is there a better flowing muffler then the stock one that is quiet? and is the resonator before the muffler just a straight thru that I could replace with a 2.5" resonator?
Old 11-23-2013
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road
Re: Quiet high flow exhaust?

The resonator will be a straight through design. Pretty much all of them are. I'd suggest getting an 18" Magnaflow one. I have one on my car. You could also look into getting a Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, which is still a straight through, but has a bigger chamber, so it cancels more sound. Only problem is some cars don't have room to hang it under the car because of its bigger size.

As far as the muffler goes, how quiet did you want? With a straight though, you will obviously get better flow, but also a much louder sound. I'd say a Magnaflow or Greddy Evo2 are the best sounding straight through mufflers. Chambered mufflers tend to be quieter, and flow better than OEM (but not as much as straight throughs). Apexi WS2, Greddy SP, or Tanabe Medallion are good options.

I have a Mugen twin loop on my car, and it combines the best of both worlds. Its a straight through design, but since it passes through twice, it is very quiet. Only downside is the price lol.....being a Mugen part. They tend to run around $400 for a used axleback.

Another thing to consider too....on a stock engine you won't even feel the difference between a straight through or chambered muffler. So I'd say go on Youtube, find what muffler you like the sound of best, and go from there.
Old 12-20-2013
Registered!!

joemommaaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Quiet high flow exhaust?

Thanks, is the stock resonator a straight through design? I am liking the sound of the flowmaster 60 series but havent found a clip without the cat yet, althought my ebay downpipe does have about a 10" resonator in place of the cat, doubt it quiets as much as the cat. Wonder if I could just re use the stock resonator if it is straight through and just cut off the piping and cut a 2.5" hole at the resonator then run all new pipe with the flow 60.