Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

2003 Civic EX: Catalytic Converter Replacement Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pollycranopolis is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic EX: Catalytic Converter Replacement Issue

Cat is shot, and car sounds like a truck. Additionally, I keep getting CEL with code pointing to cat.

I've checked with local dealers (Autozone, Advanced, Miller's, etc) who have this cat they say should fit my Civic: Walker #93268 http://www.mypartsgarage.com/walker-...ter-93268.html

This cat has an arrow stamped on it (I'm assuming pointing in the direction of exhaust flow). However, when mounted in the direction of the arrow, the O2 sensor plug ends up on the wrong side of the cat, out of the reach of the sensor.

Does anyone know if these cats HAVE to be installed in certain direction? Looking through I can't see any difference end to end. If I can mount it with the arrow facing the engine, the sensor wire should reach. My alternatives are to buy a cat with down pipe attached for about $100-150 more. I called a Honda dealership for ***** and giggles, and they quoted me over $1,000 for a cat with down pipe, and stated I may still get CEL trips by installing the sensor on an aftermarket cat.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 Civic EX: Catalytic Converter Replacement Issue

There's a reason that aftermarket cat is so cheap.
Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
There's a reason that aftermarket cat is so cheap.
Yes, I realize it's a cheap cat. I'm even willing to live with the CEL if it comes down to it. I just need something to get me through the next year or so before I sell it. Any advice on the install issue I mentioned?
Old 08-09-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to have a much better chance of the cat lasting a while, get a cat that is California C.A.R.B. approved if you can't afford OE. Especially if you have to pass an emissions test, no matter what area you live in. Many states follow Californias guidelines.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...california.asp

And figure out what caused the first cat to fail....so you don't ruin the next one right away.

As a professional, I would not install a cheapo cat for a customer. If they want cheap, they are free to go to some other shop.....and be mad at them when it fails way too early.
Because chances are very good that it will fail way too early.

I get paid to solve problems, not create more problems.

My first guess would be to orient the cat so your O2 sensor is pointing the same location and same direction as the original.
Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

If you want to have a much better chance of the cat lasting a while, get a cat that is California C.A.R.B. approved if you can't afford OE. Especially if you have to pass an emissions test, no matter what area you live in. Many states follow Californias guidelines.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...california.asp

And figure out what caused the first cat to fail....so you don't ruin the next one right away.

As a professional, I would not install a cheapo cat for a customer. If they want cheap, they are free to go to some other shop.....and be mad at them when it fails way too early.
Because chances are very good that it will fail way too early.

I get paid to solve problems, not create more problems.

My first guess would be to orient the cat so your O2 sensor is pointing the same location and same direction as the original.
Thanks for the advice. The car's only worth $2,500 give or take, so I won't be putting anything in it over a few hundred dollars. She still runs like a champ (5spd), but with close to 200k, and body rust creeping in, I 'll be retiring her to a round the-town beater until the wheels fall off. I just wanted to make sure cats in general are not designed or required to be fit in one direction v.s the other. If this is not the case, and they can be installed either way, I'll just have my exhaust guy flip it and hit it with a good weld in a position where the sensor wire will reach the cat plug (like the original). As far as the failure, it appears as if it's simply rusted out. It was previously leaking, and I had the holes brazed shut when I replaced everything behind it. It rusted some more over the next year or so until it got some more holes. At this point it's just shot (we have bad salty winters where I'm from).

Last edited by pollycranopolis; 08-09-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2013

Originally Posted by pollycranopolis
I just wanted to make sure cats in general are not designed or required to be fit in one direction v.s the other. If this is not the case, and they can be installed either way, I'll just have my exhaust guy flip it and hit it with a good weld in a position where the sensor wire will reach the cat plug (like the original)
This might be a question for the manufacturers' customer assistance hotline. IMO, it probably depends on the construction design of the internals and placement of the sensor. Many factory cats have more than one substrate package within the shell and do not work properly when installed reversed (and OE can't be bolted up that way anyway). I can't tell you if your aftermarket cat would be similar or not......but I doubt it. I bet it only has a single bed and orientation would make no difference other than you need the O2 sensor placed as far rearward as possible.
Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

This might be a question for the manufacturers' customer assistance hotline. IMO, it probably depends on the construction design of the internals and placement of the sensor. Many factory cats have more than one substrate package within the shell and do not work properly when installed reversed (and OE can't be bolted up that way anyway). I can't tell you if your aftermarket cat would be similar or not......but I doubt it. I bet it only has a single bed and orientation would make no difference other than you need the O2 sensor placed as far rearward as possible.
You were right. Per manufacturer support:
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/contact-info
1-734-384-7830

These are designed to flow in either direction, despite the stamped flow arrows. In fact most all of their cats are similar bed spec, multi flow, for generic applications. Obviously not ideal in terms of quality or longevity, but should work in a pinch.
Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

jess21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pollycranopolis
Yes, I realize it's a cheap cat. I'm even willing to live with the CEL if it comes down to it. I just need something to get me through the next year or so before I sell it. Any advice on the install issue I mentioned?
The owner before me on my car, just cut it off completely and I still average 36mpg. Since you said you were willing to deal with the CEL...
Old 08-13-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

There are some CARB legal cats for the EX here that are WAYYY less than $1,000: http://www.discountcatalyticconverte...nts=partfinder