Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Cat-Back Exhaust or upgrade my current Muffler??? (Video of mine below)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATMJDM01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cat-Back Exhaust or upgrade my current Muffler??? (Video of mine below)

Right now I have just the back Exhaust

It's not putting out the nice sound I want at all. I think I hear my SRI more than anything. Now I don't want some loud pitch ricer sound lol but looking for more of a meaner loud sound. I was looking at getting a whole Cat-Back Exhaust that installs after the stock Cat. and found this one: http://www.carid.com/2001-honda-civi...AID=1792754064

Is this going to do more than what I currently have on my car? Is it worth getting rid of some air flow restrictions by putting a better exhaust after the cat?

I also have a K&N SRI in my Civic.

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-08-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Question Re: Cat-Back Exhaust???

I was told some where else to maybe do a set up he has and it will sound so much better. The general consensus is to stay away from canister style mufflers like the one I have for oval type mufflers for deeper sound. He said get a Vibrant Street Power UNIVERSAL MUFFLERhttp://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1022_1031_1109 with their Vibrant Ultra quite resonatorhttp://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1022_1033_1054

What does the resonator actually do? And if I go with this set up, which muffler (inlet/outlet setup) on that list and which resonator should I go with if I need one? I chose the black mufflers because it goes better with my car theme.

Just for into, current Canister muffler I have now is
INLET: 2.5"
OUTLET: 4"
LENGTH: 12"

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-08-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-08-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cat-Back Exhaust???

I think the Magnaflow sounds good. Generally the can style are not the deepest but that is not always the case. My HKS is pretty deep. Also when you add headers, high flow cats and high flow resonators it will change the sound. Since its only a 1.7 liter it will only get so deep.

The resonator acts as a muffler but for different frequencies. You can actually run just a resonator with no muffler and it does not sound to bad, just a little quite.

The Vibrant is a nice sounding muffler.

Have you checked out YouTube videos of different exhausts on EM2's?

Here is my HKS Hi-Flow:

Last edited by GolNat; 08-08-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-08-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Originally Posted by GolNat
I think the Magnaflow sounds good. Generally the can style are not the deepest but that is not always the case. My HKS is pretty deep. Also when you add headers, high flow cats and high flow resonators it will change the sound. Since its only a 1.7 liter it will only get so deep.

The resonator acts as a muffler but for different frequencies. You can actually run just a resonator with no muffler and it does not sound to bad, just a little quite.

The Vibrant is a nice sounding muffler.

Have you checked out YouTube videos of different exhausts on EM2's?

Here is my HKS Hi-Flow:

http://youtu.be/69v0dp5GE7g
So you just have the muffler?

Yeah, Mine sounds NOTHING like that. I need something better for sure. Should I just go with the axle back still and maybe a resonator or go with a complete cat back to install to my stock cat?

I feel like I need just a better muffler then what I have now. IDK if I should even go through the whole cat back with this car because I know I won't be gaining anything. I just need it to sound much better than it does.

EDIT*** I'm going to get a video of my exhaust and post it so you all can see what mine sounds like and if I can get something better***

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-08-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Here is mine:

TRUST ME, It doesn't sound as loud/deep like it does here. What are your thoughts? Should I just upgrade this with a better muffler or get a whole cat back like I was thinking before?!
Old 08-08-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cat-Back Exhaust or upgrade my current Muffler??? (Video of mine below)

Your current muffler does not have a very good tone. It does sound deep on the video but the tone is definetly off. Part of a good muffler is having a good tone.

Yes, I just have an axel back which starts from the stock resonator.

Muffler vs Cat back is up to you. The cat back will allow for better exhaust flow but with a stock D17 it won't add much power. It's up to you if its worth spending the money on a full exhaust or just a muffler. If your exhaust from the headers back is all rusted then you would benefit even more with a cat back.
Old 08-08-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Your current muffler does not have a very good tone. It does sound deep on the video but the tone is definetly off. Part of a good muffler is having a good tone.

Yes, I just have an axel back which starts from the stock resonator.

Muffler vs Cat back is up to you. The cat back will allow for better exhaust flow but with a stock D17 it won't add much power. It's up to you if its worth spending the money on a full exhaust or just a muffler. If your exhaust from the headers back is all rusted then you would benefit even more with a cat back.
I'm glad you hear the crappy tone lol. Yeah I'm going to have to decide on if I should do just a muffler but a better one or get a full cat back. If I do another axle back, do I have to get a resonator? I wouldn't even know which to get.
Old 08-08-2013
Prelude Owner

No you wouldn't need a resonator. The axel back systems are from the stock resonator back. You could replace your resonator though with a vibrant high flow if you wanted.
Old 08-08-2013
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road

I would say just go cat-back. Might as well replace all the piping while you are at it.

Just get a Vibrant or Magnaflow 14" resonator. They are pretty much the go-to ones. They will really reduce the rasp, while still keeping the good tone of the exhaust.

For a muffler, if you want something more aggressive, I'd say go Vibrant, or if you can find a Greddy Evo2.
Old 08-08-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Question Re: Cat-Back Exhaust or upgrade my current Muffler??? (Video of mine below)

Originally Posted by rustycivic
I would say just go cat-back. Might as well replace all the piping while you are at it.

Just get a Vibrant or Magnaflow 14" resonator. They are pretty much the go-to ones. They will really reduce the rasp, while still keeping the good tone of the exhaust.

For a muffler, if you want something more aggressive, I'd say go Vibrant, or if you can find a Greddy Evo2.
Yeah if I go with just the muffler, I'm looking at the Vibrant. Now how do I know which resonator on the Vibrant site to get with whatever muffler I get from them? I know I want the flat black series for the muffler. As for as the resonators, there are a few of them listed on the link I provided earlier. Appreciate all the help
Old 08-08-2013
Registered!!

It all depends on what size piping you get......if you go 2.5" piping, then you get a 2.5" resonator.

Same goes with the exhaust. Whatever size piping you go with, go with a muffler with the same inlet size.
Old 08-08-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Question Re: Cat-Back Exhaust or upgrade my current Muffler??? (Video of mine below)

It all depends on what size piping you get......if you go 2.5" piping, then you get a 2.5" resonator.

Same goes with the exhaust. Whatever size piping you go with, go with a muffler with the same inlet size.
Okay cool. I think I'm going to try the Vibrant muffler first and if it's too raspy, I will then get a Resonator with the same inlet as my muffler I get.

Now the current one I have now on my car has a inlet of 2.5. Can I go ahead and get a bigger inlet muffler? Or stay with 2.5? I'm sorry for the newbie crap lol. I just want to make sure I learn everything possible about everything I do with my car.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1022_1031_1109 I notice their are differnet sizes so I wasn't sure to maybe go bigger or if it matters with the inlet...

Vibrant or HKS Hi Power muffler?

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-09-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

Honestly, I would say get a resonator from the get go. No reason to spend money on labor twice for an exhaust shop to install the exhaust, and then later have to cut it, and weld up a resonator. Vibrant's are pretty loud. Here is my friend's Accord with one:
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1419& transactionid=1376031170-726745201&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube_v ideo_id=yT7NjNyuGkA[/autostream]

I wouldn't go any bigger than 2.5in piping. You have a stock motor. You will just lose low end power.
Old 08-09-2013
Prelude Owner

It would be cheaper in the long run to have a shop install both at the same time like rusty said. But if you end up not needing the Vibrant resonator because the stock one is good then you will have spent extra money then you needed to.

It might take a few try's with differrent set ups before you find one that you like.
Old 08-09-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Honestly, I would say get a resonator from the get go. No reason to spend money on labor twice for an exhaust shop to install the exhaust, and then later have to cut it, and weld up a resonator. Vibrant's are pretty loud. Here is my friend's Accord with one:
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1419& transactionid=1376031170-726745201&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube_v ideo_id=yT7NjNyuGkA[/autostream]

I wouldn't go any bigger than 2.5in piping. You have a stock motor. You will just lose low end power.
Yeah sounds good. You both are right. Okay I think I will be buying the Vibrant muffler and resonator. Now I will get the 2.5 muffler, which VERSION resonator do I get? http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1022_1033 As you see there, they have Standard bottle type and then Ultra Quiet version, I don't know which is what and whats needed with my car and the 2.5 muffler I'm getting.

Of course I don't want it VERY loud where I get stopped by Cops, but I do NOT want it quite like the crap I have now lol. I want that nice tone and noise with my muffler. Thanks guys as usual.

Besides wanting to know the difference (I was told the Ultra quiet is the one for me but IDK) Is my stock resonator good enough or would upgrading it be better?

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-09-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-09-2013
Registered!!

Honestly, look at the underside of your car. The ultra quiet resonator is a lot wider than the regular bottle type resonators, so on some cars, they wouldn't fit in the exhaust channel under the car. But on some, they fit just fine. The ultra quiet would sound best I think.

You could also look into getting a Magnaflow resonator. They make 18" ones that would be close to the ultra quiet in terms of muffling noise.
Old 08-09-2013
Prelude Owner

On a side note, if you are planning on ever installing a rear sway bar make sure whoever does the exhaust work follows how your current exhaust bends up at the rear axel.
Old 08-10-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Yeah, I'm going to look under my car tomorrow before work and see. If it fits, then I'm going with the 2.5 Ultra Quiet Resonator with their Flat Black muffler. I can't wait to get this set up soon.

Good thinking about the sway bar.
Old 08-11-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Would it make sense to still upgrade to a High performance catalytic converter and maybe a header (if I choose to do that) with just doing the Vibrant muffler and no full cat-back???
Old 08-11-2013
Prelude Owner

It would still help upgrading to the high flow cat and headers but you will still be restricted by the smaller diameter pipe from the cat to the exhaust. Your exhaust is only as efficient as the smallest diameter pipe you have.

Since there is not much space between the end of the cat to the muffler you could easily get a muffler shop to custom make a pipe of larger diameter. It would not cost much to connect the two sections together.
Old 08-11-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

It would still help upgrading to the high flow cat and headers but you will still be restricted by the smaller diameter pipe from the cat to the exhaust. Your exhaust is only as efficient as the smallest diameter pipe you have.

Since there is not much space between the end of the cat to the muffler you could easily get a muffler shop to custom make a pipe of larger diameter. It would not cost much to connect the two sections together.
I think that is what I might do. I have a great shop where I live called "Mad Hatter Auto Repair" where they do exhaust. I can get the muffler and the high flow cat and then just have them upgrade some piping.

Do you know any good high flow Cat's for my LX?

EDIT*** Was still thinking this set-up: http://www.carid.com/2001-honda-civi...r-3620079.html

Also too, Vibrant ALSO makes converters. Here is the same inlet 2.5 Oval http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=4333

and 2.5 ROUND http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=4329
And then just get a performance Header.

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-11-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2013
Prelude Owner

With an Lx you pretty much have to have a universal cat welded in or buy a Ex cat and headers. This is because the cat is built into the exhaust manifold on the Dx and Lx.

Random Technology cats are the only ones that I have heard people mention. They are around $300 and they only fit an Ex so you would have to buy Ex headers then the cat would bolt to that then a shop would connect that to the muffler.

Vibrant does make good stuff but $85 is really cheap for a cat. Maybe check reviews for Vibrant cats and see how they perform.
Old 08-11-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

With an Lx you pretty much have to have a universal cat welded in or buy a Ex cat and headers. This is because the cat is built into the exhaust manifold on the Dx and Lx.

Random Technology cats are the only ones that I have heard people mention. They are around $300 and they only fit an Ex so you would have to buy Ex headers then the cat would bolt to that then a shop would connect that to the muffler.

Vibrant does make good stuff but $85 is really cheap for a cat. Maybe check reviews for Vibrant cats and see how they perform.
So I can buy a EX Cat/Headers? Would I have to do anything special to the Exhaust system by getting those?
Old 08-11-2013
Prelude Owner

Yes you would have to get a cat back system for an Ex or har a shop connect the ends together.

Have you read this yet:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...iy-faq-11.html
Old 08-11-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Yes you would have to get a cat back system for an Ex or har a shop connect the ends together.

Have you read this yet:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...iy-faq-11.html
Thanks for that.

Ok I think my final idea about this is getting the Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust system (which goes with my stock Cat) http://www.carid.com/2001-honda-civi...s-1678773.html

Now being the tubing is 2.25", I still might buy the Vibrant 2.25" muffler and have it welded on this or keep what comes with the system... And upgrade my Cat/Header if they ever go bad.

Last edited by ATMJDM01; 08-11-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2013
Prelude Owner

Sounds like a good plan!

Waiting to get the headers and high flow cat is probably a good idea. Ill be swapping in some Ex headers and hi flow cat when my Lx cat/manifold goes.
Old 08-12-2013
Registered!!

Sounds like a good plan. I think you might like the Magnaflow. But like you said, you could always cut it off, and weld up a Vibrant muffler.
Old 08-12-2013
Respect All, Fear No One

Exactly right. I know it will be worth it and make me satisfied just getting the full Cat-Back. I really do appreciate all the help guys. Much appreciated.