Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Spark Plug Assessement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bevenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Spark Plug Assessement

I have an '01 Honda Civic HX with about 132,000 miles on it. I just recently changed the spark plugs on the car. I've been looking up details on how to tell how your engine is performing based on what your spark plugs look like. I've read several descriptions, but none have come with pictures. So I'm not quite sure how to tell if my spark plugs look okay or not. I was wondering if anyone who knows what good or bad plugs looks like could take a look and let me know what they think.

I've attached two pictures of the spark plugs that I just removed. These were the original spark plugs on the car. The plugs are in the same left to right order as they came from the engine, so if one looks off I know where on the engine to match it up with.

Do these plugs look okay? If there is anything concerning, which plug is it on and any hints on what to fix?

Thanks,
Bryan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4379_lowres.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	84125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4380_lowres.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	84126  
Old 09-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spark Plug Assessement

Looks fine to me.
Almost zero wear, not an obvious oil burner.

Going by the color of the porcelain near the spark gaps, I"d guess you started the car up and shut it off, moving it like 30 feet or something. It looks like it wasn't at operating temp when it was shut off, at any rate, or it had been just idling for a while.
(The only read you can really get is what the general condition was when it was shut off. Kind of worthless for most peoples cars, unless there is a real running problem.)

I'd screw em back in and go for another 100,000 miles.
Or buy a fresh set of those NGKs and go another 100,000+ miles.

I've read several descriptions, but none have come with pictures.
Is your google broke?
Search SPARK PLUG CHART. Search google images.

HTH
Old 09-30-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

looks pretty good, the HX is a lean burn motor so it may have different burn characteristics compared to normal engine.
Old 09-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

ezone,

I don't remember what I was searching before, but those pictures never came up when I was looking before. And before I'd took the spark plugs out I'd driven the car from the side of the house into the garage, so the engine was still cold when I shut off the car.

Since I'd had the new spark plugs and had to take the old ones out to look at them, I just replaced them with some new ones. But it's good to know that everything seems to be running fine.
Old 09-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevenson
ezone,

I don't remember what I was searching before, but those pictures never came up when I was looking before.
Oh ok, your google is defective. Take it back to the store and get a refund.
And before I'd took the spark plugs out I'd driven the car from the side of the house into the garage, so the engine was still cold when I shut off the car.
Yay! I guessed right based only on crummy low res pics on the intarwebz!

LOL
Sorry, couldn't resist...
Since I'd had the new spark plugs and had to take the old ones out to look at them, I just replaced them with some new ones. But it's good to know that everything seems to be running fine.
Should be good for another 100k+ then.
Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bevenson
I have an '01 Honda Civic HX with about 132,000 miles on it. I just recently changed the spark plugs on the car. I've been looking up details on how to tell how your engine is performing based on what your spark plugs look like. I've read several descriptions, but none have come with pictures. So I'm not quite sure how to tell if my spark plugs look okay or not. I was wondering if anyone who knows what good or bad plugs looks like could take a look and let me know what they think.

I've attached two pictures of the spark plugs that I just removed. These were the original spark plugs on the car. The plugs are in the same left to right order as they came from the engine, so if one looks off I know where on the engine to match it up with.

Do these plugs look okay? If there is anything concerning, which plug is it on and any hints on what to fix?

Thanks,
Bryan
it would have been better to take a pic of the actual tip of the plug, the only part that matters is the end that sticking into the engine,

from what i see there, they look normal