Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

power increase going with a CROWER STG-1 cam with stock everything else

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pmjr0987 will become famous soon enough
power increase going with a CROWER STG-1 cam with stock everything else

in the maintenance section i have a thread about me doing a small cheap rebuild on my D17a2. doing new rings and new valve seals and re seating the valves. thats about it.

i have the cam sitting on my work bench so this upgrade will cost me zero additional labor.

what if any gains could i realistically expect with this cam on a stock intake/exhaust car???

I might be willing to do a set of headers but i would be running a stock cat-back and stock intake.

id like some more power and i do not want to sound like a ricer flying down the street with a whopping 140 or so hp so i want it to sound as stock as can be, but what HP would i be looking at from the stock 127?

also, how is the torque curve? this engine can use some serious help in the low rpm so im hoping the stg 1 cam can add some real world gains down low, while allowing the motor to breath out some more horses on the top end
Old 05-03-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: power increase going with a CROWER STG-1 cam with stock everything else

Have you read the stage 1 cam thread?

I believe, one of the dynos I have posted on the final page of it shows around a 15hp gain on a car with only an intake.
Old 05-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pmjr0987 will become famous soon enough

i was looking around and saw nothing about it, thought it was weird ill go back and recheck
Old 05-03-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I should prolly dyno mine, but then again, I have an intake and full exhaust system, and I'd finally put my AEM FI/C to good use.. lol.. I doubt that you'd reach 140 with just the cam and a header.

If I remember correctly, a stock D17A2 with a manual tranny dynos at about 110 at the wheels.
The dyno sheet I saw was about 125whp, but it was a D17A1 bottom, -a2 head, intake, header, and a catless exhaust sytem.
Realistically, with just the cam, you'd probably get into low 120's.
Old 05-03-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I'm there with you, I'm trying to get a dyno done too.