Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

ram air intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iksosiris89 is an unknown quantity at this point
ram air intake

hey. I am a relatively new civic owner. I have a 2005 honda civic lx coupe and i have been considering putting and intake on it recently. Im pretty sure i have come to the decision of getting a ram air intake because from my understanding from some forums that I have read, they take in less water and have a less chance of vaporlocking the engine but have a warmer air delivery to the engine(decreasing hp boost). And me living in new hampshire(lots of snow and a good amount of rain) this is what I have chosen. I am open to suggestions however.

Also i have read that an ebay intake and a brand name intake (such as k and n or AEM) would not make a difference in performance in my car whichever one i get and I was wondering for peoples opinions on this.

I am just interested in getting the intake for my car that will make it sound the best and give it the biggest hp boost

Any input is helpful

Thank you

Last edited by iksosiris89; 09-05-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2009
Registered!!

03civiclxcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ram air intake

i have AEM short ram intake....when i installed mine i can feel just a little hp and it sounds great! for some people they dont notice a difference....it'll good.
Old 09-05-2009
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went with the AEM short ram on my '98 LX. Installs easy, gave me a little power increase and cool sound, not to mention AEM supposedly has some of the best filters.
Old 09-06-2009
Registered!!

cloud2987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here.. AEM Short Ram air intake.. Be sure to buy the dry flow air filter too. It doesn't require re-oiling and way less amount on cleaning/drying time.. definitely recommended.

Here's mine.
Photo0274.jpg?t=1252214847
Old 09-06-2009
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iksosiris89
they take in less water and have a less chance of vaporlocking the engine but have a warmer air delivery to the engine(decreasing hp boost).

Short ram intakes don't take in any water for the most part. When an intake takes in enough water it hydrolocks your engine. Never heard the term vaporlock. But the downside to a SRI (short ram intake) is heatsoak. Because its mounted inside your engine bay it technically just sucks up hot air.

And me living in new hampshire(lots of snow and a good amount of rain) this is what I have chosen. I am open to suggestions however.

A CAI (cold air intake) with a hydro shield is the best bang for your buck for a k20. (your engine) The down side is that the CAI filter is mounted behind your bumper, so in essence it is more prone to suck up water. But technically as long as you dont gun it through deep puddles, then the hydrolock issue isn't a problem

Also i have read that an ebay intake and a brand name intake (such as k and n or AEM) would not make a difference in performance in my car whichever one i get and I was wondering for peoples opinions on this.

Whoever told you this is a liar. The brand does have a difference. For instance alot of people run Injen CAI, because for the k20 its proven to increas hp by a least 10. As compared to a generic ebay intake that only increased it by 2, and also made the engine lose power between a certain rpm range. Also usually the brand name intakes have a better fitment.

Injen >> K&N >>>> AEM >>>>>>>>>>>>> generic ebay

I am just interested in getting the intake for my car that will make it sound the best and give it the biggest hp boost
So to sum it all up, a SRI is just there for looks, sound, and throttle response on your year civic. You aren't gonna feel anything unless you go with a CAI. Your SRI will heatsoak, and thus decrease performance. SRI isn't bad in the winter but when its hot outside forget about it.

Lurk and search around on CRSX, your engine is the same as the rsx base pretty much.
Old 09-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

get a ebay pipe and use a AEM filter.
Old 09-06-2009
Registered!!

mm The 2005 LX coupe doesn't come with the K20 engine.. it comes with the D17a1 unless he swapped it.. anyways, I live in Michigan and yea the SRI does bring warm air during hot days, but since you live in New Hampshire we'll be having much more cooler days over all.. as far as if the ebay ones are better or not I think it depends on opinion.. but you should buy the dryflow filter for whatever one you choose.
Old 09-06-2009
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cloud2987
mm The 2005 LX coupe doesn't come with the K20 engine.. it comes with the D17a1 unless he swapped it.. anyways, I live in Michigan and yea the SRI does bring warm air during hot days, but since you live in New Hampshire we'll be having much more cooler days over all.. as far as if the ebay ones are better or not I think it depends on opinion.. but you should buy the dryflow filter for whatever one you choose.
CRAP!!!! Reading >>>> ME

i thought it said 2006 lol!!!
Old 09-06-2009
Registered!!

batman900 will become famous soon enough

K&N typhoon SRI on mine, sounds good, looks good. And when its spotless clean I can feel a little tiny bit of pickup from it.
Old 09-06-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

2whp to be exact. i had it dynoed when i was using that intake lol.
Old 09-07-2009
Registered!!

iksosiris89 is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know what kind of engine I have..its not a v-tech i can tell u that right now.
Old 09-07-2009
Registered!!

yeah the lx n dx didn't get the vtec engines for the 05.. So what ram did u or are u going to choose?
Old 09-08-2009
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point

AEM short ram ftw
Old 09-08-2009
Registered!!

DanielsSTEK is an unknown quantity at this point

AEM short ram... sounds sweet and I picked it up at advanced auto for 100... I felt a difference when I installed mine but I also upgraded my intake mani at the same time which I'm sure is what made any difference
Old 09-09-2009
Registered!!

DTF_Merek is an unknown quantity at this point

i too have a 2005 Honda Civic with an Automatic Transmission and have been thinking about getting a Cold Air Intake. I already have a magnaflow muffler with stock exhaust pipe and stock headers. I have read on some forums that it isnt worth it to tune the D17A1 engine unless it is with a turbo kit, i was wondering if this is true and if it is even worth it to invest into a cold air intake. I want something that isnt too loud but would give me the HP gain. Thank you
Old 09-09-2009
Registered!!

batman900 will become famous soon enough

Really gear? haha holy crap that actually makes me happy, I didnt think it was maybe even half that much :P
Old 09-11-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

unless ur live in CA where law requires u to have a CARB sticker.....jsut get an ebay SIR and pair it with a AEM filter so u get decent filtration.

otherwise, SRI wont do really jack **** for our cars......thats the truth...

but ur butt dyno will probably tell u otherwise when u hit VTACK!!!!
Old 09-11-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
2whp to be exact. i had it dynoed when i was using that intake lol.
the comparasion with the +2whp gain is only valid if u did the dyno on the same day with the same dyno (stock vs SIR intake)

if u do it on diff days, the humitity changes, temp changes, if diff dyno then we shouldnt even consider it.

but yea, thats pretty amazing u had a 2whp gain. maybe ur old stock air intake was dirty and new new one was clean. makes a difference =]
Old 09-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its the same dyno shop, same temps, both clean filters, different day but really all the conditions were the same, it was just done a week later. this was on an auto too. manual trans prolly gets more like 4whp. it was on a hot summer day too like 95F.
Old 09-23-2009
Registered!!

kingkongsmugen is an unknown quantity at this point

Injen SRI is the way to go. You can feel the difference. I got it online.