Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

F1 Racing Flywheel (8.5lbs) Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VicBNimble is an unknown quantity at this point
F1 Racing Flywheel (8.5lbs) Review

Hey guys, just wanted to put a quick review out about this flywheel, since I couldn't find too much info about it before I bought it.

First let me start by saying I am pretty sure this is just a re-branded ACT Prolite flywheel, as they look exactly the same and they are the only ones that I found that claim to weight 8.5lbs. Everything else I looked at was either 11lbs or 7lbs. I weighed my F1 flywheel and it was 8.5lbs on the nose.

Impressions: This flywheel is a quality part: chromoly with the teeth cut into the wheel itself, instead of on a ring that is attached to the outside of the wheel.

Driving: The car feels a bit more 'spirited' now, almost like the tiny little D17 has less holding it back now. I think that is the best way to describe it: the car's acceleration and transmission feels "lighter" or not weighed down as much. Figure our stock flywheel is 16lbs, so cutting that in half is a pretty significant change in rotating weight!

Numbers...or not: The part itself doesn't add any horsepower, as you probably know, rather it makes more of your engine's power available to the wheels. It feels like the car's powerband has been expanded, especially in the lower half of the RPM range. Just seems to rev faster up to about 4500 RPM. Top end feels unaffected.

Daily Driving: A lot of people claim that lightened flywheels are terrible for daily use, but I commute 20 miles in heavy traffic everyday to work and it is actually easier! You do need to give it a little more gas while you let out the clutch, but the learning period is only a few days. After that, you won't even notice except when you put your foot down and the car revs faster than it used to.

Fuel economy: Unaffected so far, but theoretically my car should get better highway gas mileage since there is about 8lbs less rotating weight...but I haven't had any extended highway runs yet.

All in all, after about 300 miles, I am totally used to driving with the new lighter flywheel and I love it. If you are getting a new clutch, you really should consider replacing your flywheel at the same time: it shouldn't cost you any more in labor, and your stock flywheel needs to be re-machined anyway. Just spend a little more and get a lighter flywheel, you won't regret it.
Old 09-05-2009
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough
Re: F1 Racing Flywheel (8.5lbs) Review

nice write up! I've been considering doing this myself if I ever decide to put another clutch in. I always had my own impressions and they were exactly how you described. Good to know!
Old 09-23-2009
Registered!!

No problem, man, I just want to get the word out. I found a lot of conflicting info when I was searching and deciding whether or not to go with a lightened flywheel. Definitely an awesome mod, though not really worth the labor cost unless you're getting a new clutch!
Old 09-23-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

good stuff
Old 09-25-2009
Registered!!

Thanks, gear. Update: just over 1000 miles and still running strong!

Fuel economy still seems unaffected, but again I have mainly just been commuting. Maybe the benefit gained from having less rotating weight is offset by the fact that I let the engine rev a bit higher while I am going through the gears. Still has that "new mod feeling" and the butt dyno likes it!