Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

cam gears 7th gen civics (d17)

Old 08-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7thgencivic-rs is an unknown quantity at this point
cam gears 7th gen civics (d17)

What are the best cam gears for a 7th gen civic....

or

What are the worst cam gears?

I just bought a set of OBX cam gears for about $75.00 after shipping, and put about 30 miles on them....

The result.... It made a quite a bit more noise than stock, which was some what expected, but still made more noise than I liked, and had to zero out the cam timing quite a few times before we could get it right.... It was a real pain in the butt to get tuned properly.... The gear didn't seem to have a true balance to it...

Started driving it.... felt great! could feel a difference in torque and horse, no slip.... I retarded the timing about 4 degrees... the result... improved top end power-................

......I got back on the high way and as soon as I shifted gears and accelrated my car failed to accelerate...

Had to pull over, and my car would not rev over 3,500 rpm and was having trouble starting.... the OBD2 diagnostics reader came back showing that there is no signal from the camshaft sensor.. I tried advancing the timing 4 degrees.... no change..... I tried putting the timing back to zero... no change... I had to get my car towed-

After my car was looked at we found the Cheap OBX cam gear sprocket that supposedly comes with lifetime warranty BROKE. It broke in 2 halves. 30 Miles of Driving broke the darn thing and cost me much more than the amount of money I spent on the product.

MY ADVICE: DO NOT PURCHASE OBX CAM GEARS!!! They are Horrible- I should have spent the extra $60 dollars for an AEM true time cam gear and saved myself the headache, TIME, and Money!! I am going back to stock- Honda Genuine Parts are reliable as they get- maybe an AEM or Unorthodox Racing cam gear later when I have the money, now that Im broke due to towing and repairs.

Does anybody know if unorthodox racing makes cam gears for 2001 civic lx d17a1? If so how much? Has anyone also had a bad experience with cam gears? Please post and share your experience!
Old 08-18-2009
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough
Re: cam gears 7th gen civics (d17)

Well this is news to me! I thought the only way to put a cam gear on a D17 was to get Hondata Kpro. I see AEM has a adjustable cam gear for the D17 now, I'd roll with them before OBX anyday. OBX has always offered performance parts cheaper, which is fine but I think the quality lags because of it. If I were you, since you already spent the money on it, I'd have them replace it and see what happens. If it breaks again i'd go for the AEM.
Old 08-18-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

even a good cam gear like the aem 5-bolt model will not give you more than 1-2hp with dyno tuning unless you have serious mods. leave it stock.
Old 08-18-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

even a good cam gear like the aem 5-bolt model will not give you more than 1-2hp with dyno tuning unless you have serious mods. leave it stock.
Old 08-19-2009
Registered!!

xXlucasXx is an unknown quantity at this point

Although they do look good for an engine dress up.
Old 08-19-2009
Premium Member

yeah but what happens when a rock or debris gets caught in the belt since your dust covers arent on anymore (nor will they fit even if you wanted)?
Old 08-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

cam gear won't give you any power on a d17 cause it is a single cam. you can't change the overlap between the exhaust and the intake which is were you would pick up any power if you could. you advance or retard one side of the cam it takes away from the other. A number of people have tried to squeeze out extra power with the cam gear the result is you if you advance it 1 degree you loose 3 hp you retard it one degree you loose 3 hp the only setting were you actually get anything is stock. I wish they would take all the adjustable cam gears off the market for the d17 it is only good for show and IMO it is just a scam.

on another note aem makes 2 cam gears for the d17. one for the stock d17 and then they make the modified one for hondata k-pro.
Old 10-29-2010
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

i got a stage 2 valvetrain and cam for cheap so im gonna install in stock stock d17a2 engine, anything else i should do? its a 2002 ex with 2003 engine and i have jet d17a2 ecu is that good enough for cam or should i upgrade to something better?
Old 10-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

more than a year old thread.
Woops.
old member... sorry, thought it was another noob...
the only cam that can work with only the stock ECU is the stage 1.
Most recommend k-pro to use anything above stage1, from what i hear and read.
What maker cams?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 10-29-2010 at 05:40 PM.