Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Cheap or expensive intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpencerCoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cheap or expensive intake?

Is there a big difference between a cheap intake and an expensive one? Ive been looking in to getting one for my 07 lx coupe and im not sure if i should spend alot or just go with a cheap one?
Old 07-21-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cheap or expensive intake?

just get a cheap one. but dont get a cold air cheap one..all the brackets will break. and change the filter out for a dry flow from AEM or a K&N filter. any short ram cheap one will do.. have fun.
Old 07-21-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^^ Yep. Tubing is tubing. Its the filter that matters.
Old 07-21-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

tell that to the poeple who buy ebay intakes and it doesnt even fit the tb or bolt on properly.
Old 07-22-2007
Registered!!

SpencerCoy is an unknown quantity at this point

can you link me to the filters and stuff? im pretty new to part searching for my car
Old 07-22-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

well aem has soem filters theyre selling on ebay and you can get a K&N, or get a Injen filter. any of those will work... but a filter less than $30 new isnt good!
Old 07-23-2007

I had to modify mine to make it fit and bolt up properly, but I guess I don't consider things like that a problem. Yeah, if you want direct bolt-on, without any fitment issues, don't get an Ebay intake. Not everyone names their favorite tools though. My die grinder is affectionately named "The Persuader".
Old 07-23-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

yea ive had the ebay intake. it doesnt fit perfect but u can make it fit for the most part and make it not move if ur not a tard... on ebay they have that guy still selling those AEM oiled filters for liek 15 bucks or sumthing..
Old 07-23-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough

I chose no intake...K&N filter was what I decided on. I'm happy with it, plus from what I hear you lose a little torque with aftermarket intakes.
Old 07-23-2007
Registered!!

Matteo will become famous soon enough

^^is that true?

i also hear that SRI is better for our cars? idk just heard some1 say that a while ago
Old 07-23-2007

You do lose lowend torque when you drop the stop airbox in favor of a CAI. About a thousand threads on this.
Old 07-23-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

do yourself a favor and do not buy an ebay intake. this was the experience i had with mine.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...d-my-hood.html
Old 07-23-2007
Registered!!

HighBoost is an unknown quantity at this point

any after market intake will make u loss some torque, just a lil bit... i would say get AEM V2.... is worth of money.. i had this intake on my car for almost 4 years....never give me any problem...i always thought intake just give u better flow... cheap or expensive doesnt really matter.. but i think it does lol
i just ****in smoke a damn 03 SI hatchback today maan... i asked him, did he just short shifted or somethin. he say no..he even ask me what i got under my hood...
im goin against my friend's 07 TC in few day .. see what that 2.4 liter 160whp gonna do.
Old 07-23-2007
Official Wish He Knew It All

HyeHonda05 will become famous soon enough

either buy a brand name intake new...or buy a used, but in good condition like i did...i bought a K&N Typhoon SRI off of a member here for 65 shipped........you just have to look around at the 8th gen civic sites for sale sections......
Old 07-23-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just an fyi, the dealers finally found out how horrible the K&N filters work and now will void engine warranty for using them. 92-96% filtration just doesnt cut it. has to be 98% or above, like the weapon-r oiled foam and aem dryflow filters, or any other oem paper filter.
Old 07-23-2007
Official Wish He Knew It All

HyeHonda05 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
just an fyi, the dealers finally found out how horrible the K&N filters work and now will void engine warranty for using them. 92-96% filtration just doesnt cut it. has to be 98% or above, like the weapon-r oiled foam and aem dryflow filters, or any other oem paper filter.
wow...i didnt know that...i think im gonna go buy an AEM filter from ebay....should i get the dry flow or the old style one?
Old 07-24-2007
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

is the warranty voiding for all k&n filters and intakes? i just had my car serviced by honda a month ago and they didnt say anything about it (i have the fipk2).
Old 07-24-2007
Premium Member

all aem sells now is the dryflow paper intake so they have the edge right now for people wanting an intake cone filter with good filtration. i suggest replacing any cotton gauze with a dryflow filter. they have all sizes so you can find one for your intake. some dealers dont know or dont care, im just saying word is out, and K&N does not actually have worlds best air filter, the lie finally got found out. K&N i would only recommend for race engines that get torn apart and rebuilt every season so more dirt wont matter, and you squeeze a few more hp out. and if you look at the aem dryflow box, the brand K filter comparison is actually the K&N filter which is quite sneaky of them, but its a true test.
Old 07-24-2007
This is Myspace

interesting.. those dry flow ones from AEM are kind of expensive arnt they? like $40+ for just the filter...lol well i guess it aint that expensive.
Old 07-25-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Hm, well, I say buy a cheap e-bay intake in the mean time and decide what you wanna do later. Beause I've driven with my 30 dollar ebay intake for thousands of miles now, and it's been perfectly fine. Of course, I had to wrestle it into place, but yeah it fits just fine after you get it to. I think it was a great investment!
Old 07-25-2007
This is Myspace

^^ thats wat i say
Old 08-07-2007
Registered!!

carter is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it worth having a Air Intake Filter for a Stock Engine? I was considering one but i hear it burns more gas but some sites says it burns less?
Old 08-07-2007

Dude. You're gonna have to search to find the answers to that question. It's been asked - and answered - literally hundreds of times on this forum alone. Don't take it personally if folks flame you for asking that question and expect the standard "search, noob!" replies. But to start you out, it does not give you worse gas mileage.
Old 08-07-2007
Registered!!

ya weapon-r filter looks sick too lol

im gonna get a new 1 soon w/the cleaner fluid (havnt cleaned it or anything for over a year now! )

hey i was wondering...can i just buy "foil tape" from home depot and wrap my intake in that to help cool it off and reflect heat?

i want to cool the intake with a wrap and insulate my TB heater tubes cuz i did a TB heater by-pass

?
Old 08-07-2007
Registered!!

also looked for inslution tubes in the plumbing section at home depot for the TB tubes (they get pretty f-in hot and r right under my weapon-r!)

i found some foam insulation tubes that r rated to like 200 degrees F

is that good enough^?
Old 08-07-2007

I would say both of those would work just fine - the wrap for the intake and the foam for the TB lines. Have never done it myself though.
Old 08-07-2007
Premium Member

the weapon-r already uses a rubber coupler that does not let the intake pipe touch the TB. unless you installed it wrong...
Old 08-07-2007
Registered!!

wait im confused gearbox...im not talking about the TB itself...im talking about the 2 tubes that go to the TB heater. I did a by-pass so those tubes dont heat up my TB anymore...but they themsleves heat up and therefore make my intake hot

thats y im going to insulate them w/foam tubing

and then wrap intake with some tape
Old 08-09-2007
Registered!!

hey speedfoos and gearbox...i did the foam insulation on the TB heater hoses and it works! area is alot cooler now and the intake isnt as hot after driving around

idk if i should just use some foil tape on the intake or paint it with high heat spray paint or what?? any help?
Old 09-04-2009
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

is it worth it buying a fipk2 or build my own? any other intake just a good and cheaper?