Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

AEM V2 Intake Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

Location: Rochester, NY. Only women are allowed to stalk me tho.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whilechukwuzout is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM V2 Intake Review

This is just a review of the AEM v2 intake for anyone who is looking at it as an option for an intake.

First of all, let me kill the myth that the AEM V2 is a CAI. It is neither cold air, nor a short ram. It is a league of its own. The length falls somewhere in the middle. So no, its not gonna suck in water and hydrolock your engine

Pros:
-Fit very well onto bracket.
-Increased gas mileage (not so much highway, but definitely about 2-3 mpg around town)
-a NOTICABLE power increase. Now take this for what it is. It definitely made my car faster. But if you go into this install expecting turbo boost results, you will be disappointed. However if you are expecting the gains of a conventional intake, you will be pleasantly surprised.
-No obnoxious "buzzy" sound, usually associated with "ricer" civics
-It only comes in grey, which takes out the guess work of what color will make your engine bay look prettier.

Cons:
-The vehicle specific instructions SUCKED. Find a DIY online.
-Rather expensive as compared to 50 dollar ebay intakes. (although you do get what you pay for)
-Though you do not get a buzzy sound, it will make your car louder, which I personally do not like.
-Filter requires special solution (only available from aem ) for cleaning
-Although the pipe fit perfectly, the corner of the filter touches the shifter cable. (it does nothing to it. I am just ****)

Thats about it. The conclusion is, that if you are going to buy an intake, particularly from AEM, the extra money for the V2 is worth it. You really do get what you pay for. This is a great start for anyone looking to begin the buildup of a NA daily driver.

P.S. If anyone sees Jesus around... Can you tell him he still owes me 10 bux?
Old 02-03-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
um..........dood.........if you SEARCH, you will find about 1000000 threads about the v2...
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

I should give a ****. This is just so that if anybody is interested in an intake, when people do search, they get one more point of view, from one different person. Its like the "search" response is the new noob thing to say...
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks man... great information. I am possibly planning to get an AEM V2 intake myself since ppl have been saying great things about them, even w/ ppl with rsx's. The information you have given me will nonetheless make me buy an AEM V2 intake without a doubt. Thanks for the post as this information will help me a lot in getting my intake...that is when i get the money...
Old 02-03-2007

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
if u get the V2, take the stock rubber grommet from ur stock box, and cut it in half...like a hamburger...

then put it use it as a cushion on the arm peice that hold the v2 up...

many people complain that it brakes after some usage...and the grommet acts as a shock absorber.

///////edit

lol.......you gain like 3 ponies bro (and its been dynoed).......the only reason why you "feel" its faster is because of the tone change when you WOT it....

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 02-03-2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

phantomninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i gained 4whp on my k&n typhoon intake it is niiiiiice i got it dynoed last week i have a lx but after the intake it sorta feels like i have vtec now haha
Old 02-03-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
lets keep in mind he has an SI...

for the DX.LX.EX.. let me tell you the breather hose doesnt fit as nicely as it could. its angled up a few degrees too much. Other then that, the whole story sounds about right... The instal directions arent too bad to be honest.. I had problems because there a hose or covered wire is clipped to the bottom of the air filter box- i think it was greenish... anyways, finally got that out and the rest was pretty easy. Filter fits perefectly in the engine bay and doesnt rub against the battery or any lines.

Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

b0yg0tskills is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard that intakes dont even give our 7th gens any power increase at all..maybe the mileage but no power
Old 02-03-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
they do, ive seen gains of upto 2whp on the dyno!
Old 02-03-2007

Originally Posted by gearbox
they do, ive seen gains of upto 2whp on the dyno!
i sure wish i could afford a dyno to tell me that i have gained a few wHp.......hahah

i too have a v2, and love it......

and my apologies for being so aggressive, i overlooked you had a ep3.

i remember when i had my 6thgen accord, the v2 made a alot of diff with the WOTing n such
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

b0yg0tskills is an unknown quantity at this point
really? are you sure? because on honda-tech the guys on there said that there's no gains or any difference except hearing sound from the motor with the aem v2 intake...
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

ohsnapsjay08 will become famous soon enough
bottom line, you dont get much as you suppose to on a 200plus intake when it comes to OUR 7thgen car civic. but i love mine! hehe
Old 02-03-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
2hp is easy to round down to 0.
Old 02-03-2007

haha........i wonder what the guy who wrote this has to say about it....

Originally Posted by whilechukwuzout
-Increased gas mileage (not so much highway, but definitely about 2-3 mpg around town)
-a NOTICABLE power increase. Now take this for what it is. It definitely made my car faster.
Old 02-03-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
maybe your original airbox was really restrictive... like my buddy's sentra had a black filter becuase of all the crap in it, and so when he finally got an intake it was like omg... where has all these ponies come from?? i was like the finally came running from over that hill right there cause they can now breathe
Old 02-03-2007
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
I have the aem v2 too, and I didn't get it dynoed. However, I feel no increase in power. Although it does make a nice sound. When it goes over 6000 rpms, it just screams.

Is the v2 worth the money for performance?? Nope, not in my opinion at least. You'd get the same thing from an ebay intake (performance wise).

I have the v2 because I like to waste money, like most of us on this board. I really, really like the sound of it, and that's why I'm sticking with it.

Don't buy an intake if you're looking for performance.
Old 02-03-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Originally Posted by phuviano
I have the aem v2 too, and I didn't get it dynoed. However, I feel no increase in power. Although it does make a nice sound. When it goes over 6000 rpms, it just screams.

Is the v2 worth the money for performance?? Nope, not in my opinion at least. You'd get the same thing from an ebay intake (performance wise).

I have the v2 because I like to waste money, like most of us on this board. I really, really like the sound of it, and that's why I'm sticking with it.

Don't buy an intake if you're looking for performance.
but not all ebay intakes fit well....
Old 02-03-2007
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by LT2004ever
but not all ebay intakes fit well....
I never mentioned anything about fitment. I mentioned performance wise.
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

no hard feelings sl33py, and to the people who keep saying 2-3 hp gains. Thatas fine. I think it may be a bit low, but thats fine. Maybe I just became a better driver since I put it on lol. All that I will say for a fact is that I raced my friend in his 2.5 RS subaru (DYNOED at 180 WHP) and he beat me 5 times out of 5. Not by much, but he beat me. After the intake we raced another 3 times and I beat him for 2 of them by at least a length. Could it be luck? Sure. I just dont believe AEM would be able to jack up the price for this particular intake model, without it being substantially better. People DO buy them and the vast majority note some improvement, even if its only a bit. You will not find anyone who will claim a loss in power. (unless its a porsche 944) but thats another story.

Revised conclusion: If you want to think that your car is faster (whether it is, or is not) - AEM V2

If you want ***** fast and are willing to shell out a couple bills for some dyno time to prove it - Blow it.
Old 02-03-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Originally Posted by phuviano
I never mentioned anything about fitment. I mentioned performance wise.
yea and i was stating that even tho u might get the same performance wise, you will have a hassle during installation, and or with crappy materials.
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, i have the V2 in my car with the "dry flow" filter and i like mines. i noticed a change in the RPM's when i drove my car the first time with the V2 installed. it does SOMETHING but not much i guess cause eventually you'll get used to it but you DO get what you pay for. OH, and everything fit just right!. had NO problems what so ever with the install. i have an 02 EX coupe (manual).

Old 02-03-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Originally Posted by whilechukwuzout
First of all, let me kill the myth that the AEM V2 is a CAI. It is neither cold air, nor a short ram. It is a league of its own. The length falls somewhere in the middle. So no, its not gonna suck in water and hydrolock your engine

yeah i know that its in a league of its own, but it does sit in the same place a SRI sits....
Old 02-03-2007
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
I had V2 on my 7th gen for over 3 years. Sounded like a monster at full throttle. Got many compliments from people about the sound and lots of kids on bicycles asking me of I had a turbo. Mine didn't come with a rubber grommet, but I put one on. The aluminum outer intake tube started tearing like a Pepsi can 3 1/2 years into it. Really had to be going highway speeds to notice any difference with the power delivery, though. Put my stock air box back on with a drop in K/N filter and I'm loving having my bottom end power back for driving around the town.
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

I can't believe it started to tear up and get holes in it?. how does that happen?. i'm always wiping mine down with a damp microfiber rag when i wash my car. i pop the hood and get whatever water has gotten in and under the hood. thats why my engine bay is . but i noticed my V2's paint getting these little black markings on it in some places. dont know what that is but it's not harming it. and yes, they ARE loud as hell!. especially when you hit the gas after 1st gear. every gear after 1st is much more LOUDER!. it's not a bad intake at all. it surely cleared up some engine space for me!. that was MAINLY the whole reason for buying one period!.
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
if anyone wants a V2 i have mine for sale PM me
Old 02-03-2007
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
Mine had those dark spots. Some kind of tarnish maybe. Couldn't ever get them out. Oh well.
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

yeah but it's still very strong!. no cracks, dents etc. i need to buy the AEM cleaning kit for my "dryflow" filter. it may be time, i haven't cleaned it since i installed it like 4K miles ago. they said it can go for almost 2 oil change cycles worth. or is it 1 cycle?.......? . anyways, theres this autoshop that sells aftermarket stuff and they have that kit there. maybe i should pick one up tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2007
Registered!!

BiggyQ is an unknown quantity at this point
the v2 is kinda loud for just an intake, but it does sound and feel like vtec after 3000. There is pull after it hits that rpm mark.
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

DowntownRicer is an unknown quantity at this point
Like everyone keeps saying, get a V2 if your going to buy an intake. One thing you should know about a car, if your going to mod it that is, is that first and foremost: IT IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE THE BIGGEST AND STUPIDEST WASTE OF MONEY YOU WILL EVER DO. (sry for caps) - Think about it, you have a car for one reason and one reason alone and thats to get you from point A to point B, whether its 10hp or 1000hp itll get you from point A to point B, its just that like everything in life some people like to be different and thus modding was born.

Now back on topic - get a V2 if your just upgrading your intake, you do get what you pay for and one thing that I do hate about some of the responses around here is all the negativity you get about little to no horespower gains and blah blah blah. Who cares about that, your paying for an experience - the more you pay the better experience you'll have, and lets face it - if you wanted horsepower you would have bought a 300 HP car, not a civic. So if you want a great intake, a realtively easy install and to see and feel how a simple mod can change your engine and driving experience then get a V2 ... that is all.
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

phantomninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past
whoever on honda-tech said you gain no hp on an intake on our car is retarded or had a horrible stock factory engine, I had mine dynoed last week i made 4whp from a simple k&n typhoo one and i would think the v2 would be better. Check Turbo Magazine in 2 or 3 months or something like that my car and dyno should be in there, we were testing the k&n typhoon intake, the E-RAM Supercharger intake and a dc exhaust