Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Intake question, again! Why are K&N intakes rated so high (and so expensive)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tronixx is an unknown quantity at this point
Intake question, again! Why are K&N intakes rated so high (and so expensive)?

I've been reading everything I can on intakes, and this site has been a great help. I can't find any other Honda/Civic web site out there that is more informative. I used to be on "Temple of Vtec" all the time when I had my CRX, but this site has way more information.

Anyway, I had been planning on getting an AEM CAI for my '04 EX Coupe, but I'm finding out that it is probably too risky (I live in Florida where it rains frequently), and won't give you that much power anyway. Apparently, the
V2 isn't even that great, I've read that they break (crack) a lot and are pretty noisy. And I haven't read anything good about their standard short ram.

So, reading posts regarding the K&N Typhoon short ram, and FIPK II seem to be very positive. Both are short ram, the Typhoon doesn't even look much different from the AEM short ram, but somehow, it is getting a much better rating from everybody. Supposedly, it doesn't lose you any low-end hp, and gives the biggest gain at a lower rpm than any other intake, even the cold airs. How does the Typhoon manage to be that good, as it isn't cold air, it has an aluminum pipe (not rubber) and no heat shield like the FIPK II?

I don't want something that is extremely loud. Does the Typhoon give you a better sound than other intakes? What about the FIPK II? Both, are very expensive as well. The cheapest I've seen the Typhoon is about $150 on Ebay, and for the FIPK II, about $180. Pretty expensive for a short ram. Does anyone have any experience with one of these, and are they worth it?
Old 12-09-2005
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
calling GEARBOX!!!!! i wouldnt spend over 200 bucks on a AEM cold air. you gotta d17 motor just like a lot of people here. our motor isnt mod friendly. some people spent almost a grand on I/H/E and got like what...5 or 6 hp gain maybe? i dont know. but it sucks. a lot of people will tell you to save up and do a k20 swap or turbo. i dont know why the typhoon intake is so good but it is. i thnk i will be selling my aem short ram away and getting this.
Old 12-09-2005
EK Hatch

Ser1N is an unknown quantity at this point
K engines are going down in prices pretty fast it seems, better off just saving and getting a big gain
Old 12-09-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well i'm back to stock cause i like to hear the engine and not air noises. but i'll admit the typhoon was the best i've tried out of 3. it has a different shape compared to the others and gives more low end, up to 10wtq in some places like 2500rpm. but hi end only 1-2hp.
Old 12-09-2005
Registered!!

aw man...you should keep all your stuff on your car. i thought you had big plans for your car?
Old 12-09-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well my first plan is getting the stock head put back. after that the only mods i plan to keep are exhaust and ported tb.
Old 12-09-2005
I like you! do you like me?

Farage is on a distinguished road
i have the FIPKII and ITS FOR SALE!!! pics in my gallery. asking $100.
Old 12-09-2005
Premium Member

good price.
Old 12-09-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
ok i bought the K&N typhoon SRI off of gearbox and i love it to death. the sound it sweet. but not too loud. at WOT it totally sounds like a different engine altogether. mileage has gone down but only a little. i was gettin 40mpg but now its like 35. no biggie. there is a difference in pull, definitley pulls better. there ya go
to answer your question, its definitley worth it to get the typoon. i don't know about the FIPK but i love my freakin intake.

Last edited by MajinB; 12-10-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2005
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
I have the V2 and it is way better than the AEM CAI, great sound and price was good too, bought it for $190 at ebay.
Old 12-11-2005
Registered!!

Daso is an unknown quantity at this point
until I see an actual dyno plot back to back of stock vs X intake... it's all butt-dyno and placebo effect. Not worth the price for the performance increase/decrease. Till then, I'd suggest you get the cheapest/nicest one you can find and just go with that if you absolutely need one. You will never feel 1-2 extra whp.

If you're getting it for sound that's another story.
Old 12-11-2005
Premium Member

before/after dyno on 2k2 ex civic automatic, stock vs K&N typhoon SRI. the blue is the typhoon. i realize they weren't done back to back, but the temps were pretty close and the same dyno was used.

Old 12-11-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Originally Posted by boricua_civic
I have the V2 and it is way better than the AEM CAI, great sound and price was good too, bought it for $190 at ebay.
if thats new, thats a very good price
Old 12-11-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
before/after dyno on 2k2 ex civic automatic, stock vs K&N typhoon SRI. the blue is the typhoon. i realize they weren't done back to back, but the temps were pretty close and the same dyno was used.
Good work gearbox!
Lets everyone see the fact that aftermarket air filtes help 7th gen!
From the dyno run I see 3% of health increase in power.
Old 12-11-2005
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light
Volant Intake

Has anyone ever seen or used the Volant Intake System w/ Box? It looks very clean and high class. I'm not to certain of it's benefits but it beats the looks of those ugly tube intakes in our engine bays. The manuf. claims 5 horse from it but who knows?

I can't post direct links because I don't have enough points or some **** so here's the links go look: Look at the install view, it's nice.

//volantperformance.com/pdetail.asp?ID=156
Old 12-11-2005
Registered!!

dont thread jack man. just make a new thread about this or search for it. but no i never used the volant intake system. never seen it before. never hurd of it.
Old 12-11-2005
Premium Member

oh boy haha they are terrible. they had a production model and a member here volunteered his car but they were dicks abouts it and ended up not even making one for us.
Old 12-11-2005
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light
Don't Thread Jack?

Your What Hurts Biatch? SHUT UP!
Old 12-12-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gearbox
see the dyno you posted prooves that my "butt-dyno" is not a placebo. yours is an ex auto. mine is an ex stick. so if you lost like 1hp and gained 4 tq then i was right when i said i felt a better pull. stick > auto. i didn't dyno my car with it but since it is your intake, i should expect like 1 or 2 hp or tq increase. im pretty sure you can feel 5 extra foot pounds of tourqe. idk though.
Old 12-12-2005
Premium Member

at 2800rpm, its more like 10ft/lbs almost which is noticable for sure when you accelerate
Old 12-12-2005
Registered!!

Tronixx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: K&N intakes

Thanks for the info, I decided to go ahead and buy a Typhoon on the weekend, found a new one on Ebay for $145. Bought myself a Christmas present I guess, now I'll just have to see how fast the shipping's going to be at this time in the year.