Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

SRI: K&N vs. AEM

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White05EXSE is an unknown quantity at this point
SRI: K&N vs. AEM

I'm fed up with my stock engine. I sit here and read about everyone's hooked up cars for like 8 hours at a time (I do NOTHING at work). So I decided today will be the day I buy an intake. I've heard alot of negativity about CAIs in 7thgens, so tell me what I should get. AEM SRI or K&N SRI. I've got an 05 a/t ex coupe
Old 06-12-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by White05EXSE
I'm fed up with my stock engine. I sit here and read about everyone's hooked up cars for like 8 hours at a time (I do NOTHING at work). So I decided today will be the day I buy an intake. I've heard alot of negativity about CAIs in 7thgens, so tell me what I should get. AEM SRI or K&N SRI. I've got an 05 a/t ex coupe

K&N, heatshield
Old 06-12-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
first, what is your goal and/or what are you trying to achieve?
if its performance, intakes yield .5-2 hp at most, which many will argue is worthless.

K&N, simply because it comes with a heat shield. gearbox, a member here, loved his K&N FIRK II and he said nothing but good comments on that piece. on the d17, intakes in general take away the low end (torque) while giving the high end powerband a little juice.

if you live in an well heated area, definately K&N because overtime, you cars engine bay will get really heated and the intake will be "heat soaking" which is basically intaking real hot air into your TB/motor.
Old 06-12-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
the heatshiled on the k&n is worthless, you will notice no difference with it on or off. only real way to block heat would be to enclose the filter in a box with an air duct coming from somewhere heat isn't.
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

flqu05 is an unknown quantity at this point

The best.
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by flqu05

The best.

^^^^ that's some ghetto **** right there...lol
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
omg...never ever ever make a intake on your own. thats just really stupid.
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

joelwastaken is an unknown quantity at this point
actually that looks like it would work really well...
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
correction there..

apparently, gearbox right now is on the side for k&n typhoon, not FIPKII...lol..

he really likes it, apparently...lol
Old 06-12-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by flqu05

The best.
dude, seriously u post that pic in every single thread about intakes, it's ghetto, gay, and ugly
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
^WORD> lol
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

joelwastaken is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by booba5185
dude, seriously u post that pic in every single thread about intakes, it's ghetto, gay, and ugly
ya it looks ghetto, gay, and ugly

but it does look like it would work pretty well still
Old 06-12-2005
Won By One

teamPR0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Intakes are good for gas mileage, I have an AEM SRI and I can notice the difference. K&N is overpriced.
Old 06-12-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Here is my advice, since I've owned all of the following intakes.

1. AEM SRI

I paid alot for this when it first came out. This is the absolute worst intake ever made, maybe better than generic. It's a 2 piece tube connected by hose coupler and stupid aem filter. I lost tons of low end especially when hot out. Top end might have been better, I couldn't really tell. Overall garbage.

2. K&N FIPKII

Its a plastic intake tube instead of metal, so it doesn't get very hot. Also has a longer filter and heat shield, but as stated above the shield won't do much. I was impressed with similar to stock low end while gaining some high end. Unfortunately, this is a noisy intake, which is why I decided the small gains weren't worth keeping it.

3. K&N Typhoon SRI

This is their performance and show line of intakes. Aluminum painted tube with a filter on the end. All one piece, perfect fit. I've been driving around with this for a while and wow. Even when it was 90F outside and intake tube was literally too hot to touch, it still performed comparable to stock. At lower temps, the intake has greatly reduced torque and also more hp up top past 4500k. You can definately feel it pull when its around 60F outside. I can't imagine how much gain in winter. Heat doesn't seem to affect it much imo. Also this is a quieter intake than the fipk. It has a low rumble sound below 4k. Just accelerating up to 4k you won't hear much unless you push the gas harder. Then it makes the usual intake sound. In the higher rpms, you can hear it, but there have been times where I would have to turn down the radio. Around 65mph, almost no sound. Push the gas in gear while passing and you get the sound again. Its neat because it has different sounds at low/hi rpms. Also made the stock exhaust a bit louder. Overall great intake, I got the silver one, very clean and lots of gain. Dyno coming in one week. I'm keeping this and the stock intake is permanently stowed in the closet.

Oh also I drove 90% highway miles around 65mph and got a 4mpg gain in gas mileage with the typhoon and fp60 fuel system cleaner. From my old 38mpg to new 42 mpg.
Old 06-12-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by joelwastaken
ya it looks ghetto, gay, and ugly

but it does look like it would work pretty well still
except for i live in az so that would instantly become an easy bake oven
Old 06-12-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya that's a bad idea imo. Most heat shields will do more harm because they keep heat around the filter. At least with the filter open, air is blowing around the engine bay when you're driving.
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Get the Injen CAI. Ive had both SRI and CAI. Injen CAI is the way to go for auto Ex's from my experience
Old 06-13-2005
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
i got the K&N typhoon SRI like gearbox's but mines the blue one... seems good to me