Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

need info on aem pullies

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
need info on aem pullies

Well I've had em on for 5-6 months, now the alternator is dead and I need warranty work. So I need to know for sure that the pullies didn't cause this. Does anyone have these, and if you do please tell me how long you've had em. All I have is a small amp under 100rms watts max (never have the radio even turned past 1/3 volume), and I doubt that would cause alternator failure. I need help for tomorrow thanks.
Old 04-24-2005
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rockhound124 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have only had mine on for about 2 weeks now. No problems yet. Although this makes me want to get the charging system checked. I don't have a stereo system, no extra electrical accessories.
If it is the alternator, try to get a higher output one? Could it be the battery?
The pulley would only make it turn fractionally slower then normal. It would take a little longer to charge the battery, but not too much. It should still have the same output power no matter the speed.
Then, going along with this, will the power steering pump fail?? It is also turning slower than normal. It would have to have a bypass pressure relief or it would explode.
Do these two systems work at a minimal speed? Like idle speed? Anything over the idle speed would be extra and not really matter that it is turning slower?
Do you understand what I am trying to convey here?? Just my thoughts.
Old 04-24-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Well kinda. I mean the battery is an optima yellow fairly new and the charging system has been fine for months now (just like stock). Now out of nowhere the battery light comes on, and I'm in the parking lot revving and the voltmeter stays at 12.4v and starts dropping on the way home. I wonder if I can make it to the dealer 20mins on battery power? Or will this damage components that need 12v to work properly like ECU.

The basic idea behind underdrive pulleys is that a slightly larger diameter will mean more rotations are required to obtain the same amount of power as before. If the aem alt pulley could not do this, I would've gotten the battery light the first day due to it not operating at full capacity. Now this should not cause problems because the alternator is actually working less than before and should last longer I would think. Everything was fine and all of a sudden it stops working.

I've been watching voltage changes after aem pulleys, and the patterns are the same as stock. After warming up the car, at certain times the voltage would drop to 12v just as before, indicating that the alt has been shut off since there is no need for extra power. This means even with the aem pullyey there is more than enough power being produced.

As for the ps, the speed of the pulley determines how fast the system works. I noticed no diference in steering ability compared to stock.
Old 04-25-2005
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
I have had em for about 6 mo. no problems. original battery and alt.
voltage only drops at low idle.
Old 04-25-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
i have had them for about a year now. i dont like the pullies at all. dont even know why i bought them. i paid 50 bucks. after i bought them, i had mad idling issues with my car. i have 2 12" subs, 2 1200 watt amps, and in dash dvd. for some reason aem says dont use alot of power with these but I did and so far no problem yet. the idling issues somehow went away. Im definately sure it was the pulleys that caused this because the idling issues started next day after installation. I dont recommend these pullies cause they are ****
Old 04-25-2005
Premium Member

hmm well my idle was unchanged after install and car pulled more. I like em, but not if it caused alternator to fail. But djmota is right. I only get a voltage drop at idle. After touching the gas it goes to normal. So I'm okay using it on the new alt I hope??
Old 04-25-2005
02 Civic EX

Chowmane is an unknown quantity at this point
So is it worth the money?

I too was going to get the AEM Tru Power Pulleys Kit.

I have a automatic so any extra horse will help. I'm also going to get the Greddy EVO2 exhaust and can get the Pulleys at the same time for free s/h.

Is $150 for the AEM Tru Power Pulleys Kit worth it and how hard is it to install - I might just take it to this local guy who will probably install them for $50 bucks. I don't mind doing the work myself - just rather pay $50 then spend 3 hours doing it myself. My weekends are now really precious to me and can't afford to waste too much time. (I have a newborn).

So far - I here it's a good investment as long as you don't run a 1000 watt stereo system.

Later,
Mike
2002 Civic EX 2-door coupe automatic.
Old 04-25-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
I got mine cheap from a member here. I would advise you to do the same. At full price they are just not worth the $ .
Old 04-25-2005
Premium Member

I also have an auto and they do help. The ps doesn't get affected at all, and alternator only goes low at idle. Should have a dyno this summer again to show more. I'm just gonna say the honda alternator sucks ( I've seen so many posts about it), cause I really can't see how a pulley would do anything.

btw, the shop (not dealer) said the ext warranty covers the work so I should be getting a new one in a few days. I just told em to swap the pulley on the new one.
Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
I had to change my alternator last year, fortunately covered by warranty, and was told by Honda mechanic that alt failures are common. Thanks for feedback on pulleys which may be my next cheapo mod.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

memorex is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my alternator on my 2004, after 13k miles make loud supercharger sounds during acceleration.

Honda warrentied it and it's been replaced..
Old 05-01-2005
Premium Member

Yup I got a new one and the owner of the shop convinced me not to put the pulley back on. He said underdriving it doesn't hurt, but this will cause the alt to work non stop to keep the battery chargerd. The less you use up with accessories, the longer it takes to wear out the alt. So I'm only running the ps pulley. He assured me that the system has pressure release so underdriving won't hurt anything like the pump, just make it a bit harder to turn wheel at idle (I didn't even notice). So there you go. The aem pulley is at home now on the vcr next to the dh pulley
Old 05-01-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Hmm.... now I get to yell at my brother for letting my car idle for 30 minutes with the headlights on! But I have no encountered any problems.... but then again most of my driving is on the highway.
Old 05-01-2005
Premium Member

Ya we don't know for sureif the pulley caused it, cause these alternators just go out all the time. I didn't want to void my new alt warranty tho by installing it again.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
Hows the battery connection? Voltage drops can cause premature alternater failure...
Old 05-01-2005
Premium Member

i have a good voltage system with an in line regulator, which should extend alt life more than normal. Its the sun hyper voltage system and it monitors and dampens voltage fluctuations.