Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

K&N FIPK II

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004
I like you! do you like me?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farage is on a distinguished road
K&N FIPK II

just installed the fipk II. installation was a breeze. looks great. sound is AWESOME. but didn't feel too much gain. the car def revs easier in the higher rpm's. however, i can see that crazy sound become annoying with time. overall its a great intake. the heat shield was a great idea.
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I like it as well. Noticed more throttle response and no low end losses.
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
^^ so wuts ur current setup, I thought you posted that you went back to stock w/ a napa filter? so does ur review about intakes letting in too much dirt still stand true? or is that not the problem, or a problem?
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It's still a problem, but I've decided to just never clean it. The more dirt, the better it filters the air. I'll let it go at least 50k miles. Someone also mentioned taking apart an engine after a long time with K&N and there was no evidence of damage.

Current setup:

Engine/Performance Modifications:
-NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
-Ground Wire Upgrade
-Apexi VAFC-II
-Optima Yellow Battery
-Ceramic Header
-DH Racing Ported Head Work
-B+M Transmission cooler
-Thermal Rear Section Exhaust
-K+N fipk Air Intake
-AEM Tru Power Pulleys
-Hyper Voltage System
Old 11-23-2004

yeah def did not lose any low end power. i was scared of it happening though. hey gearbox, i would like to wrap it in some sort of tape to heatproof the tube more. any suggestions? i was thinging duct tape or electrical tape.
Old 11-23-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
get some sort of heat wrap, but why duct or electrical? soooo sticky.
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member

Yeah thermotec makes good wraps if you don't mind it looking shiny.
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member

now I almost wish I had $ for an intake, cause I do like the sound
Old 11-23-2004
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
and that would look ugly wrapped in duct tape/electric tape.. I dont think it would even reduce much heat cuz the design of the intake is with plastic or whatever already.. but i dunno!
Old 11-23-2004
Premium Member

could be my imagination but I think my catback gave me better response too.. so im sure the combo of those 2 would be nice..
Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
You don't need to wrap it. I drove for an hour and then got out and touched the intake tube and it was cool.

Did you reset your ECU? If not the computer will take 200 miles or so to adjust to the new intake (so I'm told).
Old 11-24-2004
Custom Titles are played out

RiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by IronFist
You don't need to wrap it. I drove for an hour and then got out and touched the intake tube and it was cool.

Did you reset your ECU? If not the computer will take 200 miles or so to adjust to the new intake (so I'm told).

I thought the ECU could adjust after about 15 seconds at idle running?
Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member

Well it's not known exactly. All I know is when you reset the ecu, the car has to relearn idle by sitting in park with the engine running for 5 mins once warmed up. Now resetting the ecu also clears any stored fuel curves. So it would have to relearn those as well, but that's done when driving. I always thought it was in real time because of all the sensors.
Old 11-24-2004
Custom Titles are played out

RiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gearbox
Well it's not known exactly. All I know is when you reset the ecu, the car has to relearn idle by sitting in park with the engine running for 5 mins once warmed up. Now resetting the ecu also clears any stored fuel curves. So it would have to relearn those as well, but that's done when driving. I always thought it was in real time because of all the sensors.

Is there an FAQ about fuel curves.. because I'm wondering, would it have anything to do with me ******* my car out and then for the next couple of weeks I get bad mpg?? Would that be the same thing, or am I thinking of something different?

(sorry to hi-jack the thread)
Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member

Not sure. I also don't know whether or not it builds curves based on driving style. Like if you drive slow, it won't build an aggressive fuel curve.
Old 11-24-2004
ctv
Registered!!

ctv is an unknown quantity at this point
doyou have a pic of it, is the intake tube plastic or metal? I have seen K&N Intakes for our car and the tube was metal.

Thanks
chris
Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member

They have both. The typhoon is metal and the fipk is plastic.
Old 11-24-2004

ill post pics in the next few days. anyone know how to reset the ecu?
Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member

pull out the FI ECU fuse under hood. Put back after a few secnds, start car, let idle for 5 mins once completely warmed up. It helps if you pull the fuse just after you get done driving, so it's already warmed up and you can start counting 5 mins right after starting the car.
Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
hey gearbox why do you have the aem pullies along with your optima batttery with your alpine amps doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of them?
Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member

Not really. I have one small alpine amp and the optima. The pullies are underdriving the alternator, so I get more power to the crank. I don't think the pullies will cause any problem with that small of an amp. I only got the battery so I don't have to worry about it getting messed up from deep cycling. I'm not sure what you mean exactly.
Old 11-24-2004

gotti will become famous soon enoughgotti will become famous soon enough
Glad the installation was a breeze. Was it worth the $45? (after shipping )
Old 11-25-2004

def worth it man. thanks alot.
Old 11-26-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ctv
doyou have a pic of it, is the intake tube plastic or metal? I have seen K&N Intakes for our car and the tube was metal.

Thanks
chris
FIPK II tube is plastic:

Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

Hysteria4u is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm wondering if the heat shield is sufficient in preventing hot air from getting ingested? Is the filter itself hot after say, an hour's worth of driving?
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

Matulin407 is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont mean to hijack ur thread but any of u guys with the K&N intake notice a loss in the sound it makes when u punch it after a few days of driving. I just put mine in like 2 days ago and when i punched it to lets say like 3.5 on the tach it growled nicely , now it just sounds stock, anyone know what the problem could be? by the way performance is a lil better.

The heatsheild does its job great i drove for over 2 hours the other day, when i got home i popped my hood to see why my intake sounded diffrent i checked the cone to see if it was loose and it was not , nor was it HOT "to answer the last post"

o yah , any help would be super!
Old 12-01-2004
Premium Member

Ha yeah. I think when the ecu adjusts, the intake starts to make less noise. It's still there, just not as crazy as the first few days.
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey gearbox, were you the one that suggested the purolator filter? if you did, did you switch back to the K&N filter?
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

Matulin407 is an unknown quantity at this point
damn!!!! man, im gonna reset my ecu again, that thing sounded sooooo mean, i got a video of it last night and it sound like a modded GSR.
Old 12-01-2004
Premium Member

Don't keep resetting it! You get more power and better gas mileage once it adjusts. And yes, I'm using the K&N filter again. If you never clean it for 50k+ miles, it should get dirty enough to filter decently.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK II