Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Pro's & Con's of a short ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver_Si is an unknown quantity at this point
Pro's & Con's of a short ram

Just taking a general survey of people who have installed short ram intakes:

In terms of performance, what was the biggest improvement you noticed? Or did performance decrease? (which i've heard )

Silver_Si
Old 09-24-2004
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,160 Likes on 808 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
pros: pretty much no chance of hydrolock

cons: sucks air out of the engine bay as opposed to colder air from outside

overall: mine game me some high end. didnt notice much of a difference in low end, although metal intakes are supposed to make you lose low end. it sounds a whole lot cooler than stock too..
Old 09-24-2004
Registered!!

ZdS03Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
both CAI and SRI give you about the same gain...2-3hp

With CAI you can hydrolock, with SRI you cant

Last edited by ZdS03Civic; 09-29-2004 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2004
VTEC MASTER

redvtec04 should not be trustedredvtec04 should not be trusted
works great. there is power in the upper band as well, hot or not.disconnect the coolant lines to the throttle body and the cooling effect negates the warmer air.
Old 09-24-2004
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
well, if either SRI or CAI did anything for our cars, then it would go like this:

Pros: little risk of hydrolock
Cons: slightly less gains because the air is a little hotter (theres ways around that tho...sortof)

but since the d17 really doesnt take to these all that well, here are the pros and cons:
Pro: more aggressive sound, might gain some high end HP (minimal gains)
Cons: you lose a bit of low end tourque...like from 1k-2.5k.
waste of money you can spend on suspension and handling improvements
Old 09-24-2004
Registered!!

skunk2em2 is an unknown quantity at this point
aem sri: automatic ex

pros: high end was little increased, sound was nice

cons: low end lost, void warranty?, during hot days... filter changes shapes.
Old 09-24-2004
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
disconnect the coolant lines to the throttle body and the cooling effect negates the warmer air.
Didn't we learn that these coolant lines are how the car controls the idle? Disconnecting them will mess with your idle
Old 09-24-2004
SiG
Registered!!

SiG will become famous soon enoughSiG will become famous soon enough
love the sound, sounds mean and agressive, but like everyone has said, lsot low end, gained high end.
Old 09-24-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I would say noise is the only con, but that's just me. The K&N fipk gives better throttle response and better high end. Low end is pretty much the same. When it gets, cold outside, you'll feel the difference.
Old 09-24-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Pro's: Sounds nice, looks cool under the hood...

Con's: Not good in hot weather, doesn't do much for performance IMO...

Unless you like a different sound or want to show off your engine, you would be better off spending the money on other upgrades like someone mentioned.

Old 09-24-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
as of now...
con: my damn intake gets heat soaked.... so performance sucks when it's hot out. Pro: no hydrolock and a bit of high end.
Old 09-24-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Forgot about that. It sucks in the summer. When it gets colder, an intake will outperform stock.
Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

Silver_Si is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i've heard some civics with intakes and they sound so nice, but in Winnipeg here we have snow for half the year so performace wise it sounds like putting a SRI on with the hot air will just give a slower feel/response
Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
i agree that it gets sluggish in the summer with warmer air and I live in southern california, but I have no regrets with my sr intake. (fipk, 5spd lx)
Old 09-29-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
I must admit, the sound the intakes produce is pretty cool. I get looks all the time from people when I punch it around them. It sounds like I have an exhaust or something but it's coming from the engine, very weird. Actually, when more torque is applied, the deeper the sound is from my intake. If I just sit there and "rev" the engine in park, there isn't much sound. The harder the engine works it seem like the more deeper sound you get. Does this make sense??

Anyway, I like the intake because of this sound when driving. Once I get a decent Thermal exhaust it will sound awesome with both I think. But, that won't be for a while. My audio upgrades are getting me in trouble from the wife. So I have to cool it for a while.

I may also go with a better filter for my intake down the road. The pipes are all the same, it's the filter you have to be careful about I heard.
Old 09-30-2004
Registered!!

wrussi is an unknown quantity at this point
03 civic with an hp racing short ram tube and arospeed filter

pros i got mine for $70 it sounds great better gas mileage SRI is worth it
cons not that much hp gains but none gives us really noticeable gains
who cares what u get personally i wouldnt sped 200 on a CAI that gives me 1/2 hp more than a short ram will plus if u live where it floods like FL you will regret buying it after your engine is gone because of water in it
Old 09-30-2004
I want a TSX!

sevenplaces is on a distinguished road
the AEM sri has given me better throttle response but not much else other then noise.