Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

S&B cone filter installed (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
S&B cone filter installed (PICS)

Okay I finally got mine and installed it. I bought this as a replacement for the K&N filter that came with the fipk.

Now it doesn't feel any different in terms of performance, but here's a quick run down of the things I noticed. Also, does anyone know if a bigger filter would cause worse performance? I don't wanna be losing power with this thing.

PROS:

Larger, beefier diameter and seamless filter attachment

Deeper and more abundant pleats

Open top with second cone for less turbulence

CONS:

Filter media seems to be the same as the K&N. I was under the impression that the S&B has more media, but that is wrong. Oh well, I don't care anymore.

Filter is almost 1 inch bigger due to curved, longer neck. Still fits fine tho.

-------------

On to the pics. The filter definately makes the intake louder, so I'm not sure if it's helping performance or not. I'm assuming it stayed the same or maybe improved, since more filter area is better right?

Here is the K&N. Looks so small and cheap.

Now this is a comparison. The filter length is slightly larger on the S&B due to longer rubber neck.

Now with the S&B filter element installed. Looks nice and barely fit the opening. Perfect size imo.

Old 09-18-2004
Currently boosted at 0 psi.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ThsUserNmIsDumb is on a distinguished road
EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw your caption.
Old 09-18-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Ahh. BAD NEWS! This stupid civic doesn't like the filter. It's so free-flowing that I lost torque and throttle response. I can't believe this. So I swapped the small K&N back in and immediately noticed the better performance. I guess that means they did their homework and our slow engines need some air resistance. I'm just keeping the K&N and letting it get dirty for 40k. Then it should start filtering better.
Old 09-18-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
damn, and I had high hopes for it too......... grrr.......
Old 09-18-2004
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
me 2. Damn. I like the dual-cone deisgn of the s&b though. Maybe after I get some engine work done my d17 will be worthy of a high-flow filter....hehe.
Old 09-18-2004
Im the man in the box

Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
yea it kinda sucks to hear this.... was it any louder ?
Old 09-18-2004
Premium Member

Yeah it was, but when I mashed the gas it didn't pick up as well. Seemed to feel like it was really hot out even tho it wasn't. This would be great for turbo prolly, just not a regular civic. There wasn't too much difference, but I could feel the lack of throttle response.
Old 09-18-2004
Im the man in the box

Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
do you think if you had gotten something a little smaller to decrease some of the flow it would have worked better ?
Old 09-18-2004
Premium Member

Nah, the K&N works great. And with the S&B filters, a 5" flows like a regular 8" so it would have to be tiny. Not worth it imo. Anyone wanna buy mine?
Old 09-19-2004
SMX
Registered!!

SMX is on a distinguished road
The only way to tell whether it helped or hurt performance is to dyno the car or make multple runs at the track and look at your MPH.

As far as the filter being too free flowing for our cars, I don't buy it. Motors are air pumps, more air in = more power. I don't believe changing an air filter, even if it did increase air flow, would hurt your hp or move your torque curve. If your air velocities didn't drop, then your torque curve should be the same or higher with a better flowing air filter. You need dyno or track time (looking at mph at the end of the run) to assess whether the filter helped or hurt.

Normally I wouldn't give a f$#% and waste time posting a response on this thread. However, it drives me nuts when people make power claims based on their butt dynos. It doesn't help anyone.
Old 09-19-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
stop modding the damn civic!
Old 09-19-2004
Premium Member

Yeah it's just one disappointment after the next.
Old 09-19-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
that filter looks real simliar to the apexi power filter. how come you didnt go for that one anyways? wasnt it you that said apexi universal filter seems to work best for our cars? =\
Old 09-19-2004
Premium Member

Yeah I couldn't figure out how to make it fit. The apexi filters are designed for specific intakes and have bolts that go on a metal plate. The S&B media turned out to be the same as K&N. So I guess the apexi really is the best. They have some kind of thick media that doesn't require oil.
Old 09-20-2004
Registered!!

jgoodfella1 is an unknown quantity at this point
After all the different intake combos I've tried, I'm happy with my current set up.
Definately more power than stock and much better filtering.
FIPK II with Oversized Napa gold paper filter
Oil breather bypass.
TB heater bypass.
Thermotec lace up heat sheild.

I don't have any dyno numbers to prove it but when I mash the pedal I can deifnately tell a difference and I still have low end power.
Old 09-21-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
Originally Posted by gearbox
This stupid civic doesn't like the filter

Dunno why but that makes me laugh
Old 09-21-2004
Registered!!

Silversleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
has anyone ever seen those really tiny filters? its basically like a small cone, and by cone, i mean a real cone, that comes to a point at the end? as opposed to all these cylindrical filters? i want to buy one of those. I think they would work great.

The filter I saw was on a legend. It was a short tiny little cone, that was no longer that 4 inches. But seemed like it would do the job just fine for us.
Old 09-22-2004
VTEC MASTER

redvtec04 should not be trustedredvtec04 should not be trusted
just ordered mine. putting it on an AEM SRI. Guess how you can tell you're theory is wrong? I ran the car around the bblock with no filter on the AEM and noticed an increase, so I decided to get the filter.
Old 09-22-2004

TurboDreamZ is an unknown quantity at this point
eh.. had a SRI with the foam intakes.. it was koo but had faster Et's with new CAI