Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

K&N vs AEM Srm

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sasquatch is an unknown quantity at this point
K&N vs AEM Srm

I have an '01 EX 4 dr/AT. It is my commuter car and I love it. I was scoping the AEM CAI and is it just me not reading things right or for my specific car does the hp & torque curve look better with the short ram then with the CAI or V2? I was probably going short ram anyway as I live in the Pacific NW.

Last edited by Blk4blk2K1; 06-24-2004 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2004
Retired Super Mod and STILL Pimpin' Yo Mama

Blk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to behold
With a sdn and considering a short ram anyways, you might want to also consider the K&N set up.
Old 06-24-2004
Registered!!

Opinions KN vs AEM short rams?
Old 06-24-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
On a automatic the SRI showed more gains than with a CAI. I can't comment on the AEM SRI, but I had a Injen SRI and know I have a K&N FIPK II. The Injen was a lot louder and a lot, a lot better sounding than the K&N but the K&N made more of a difference in my car.
Old 06-25-2004

sw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the rough
i had the AEM and it sucked compared to my injen CAI...get the K&N, if you've gotta have a shortie
Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

I don't gotta have a shorty but w/my '01 EX A/T the shorty actually produces more hp/torque over a wider range....at least according to AEM's spec. Apparently you have to run to much pipe for it to pay off. They only offer the shorty and the v2 (no CAI)
Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
i bought a used aem short ram off a fellow 7thgener. I noticed that i did lose a little power on the low end, for example below 3k rpm. But i noticed i did gain noticeable power on the upper end around 4k+. It also improved my gas mileage a little bit. Better mileage and a little more power for freeway drivin is worth the $70 investment. O yeah i have a 04 ex a/t coupe.
Old 06-26-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
i have an aem sri and if i had the chance to refund it, i would definately decide to go with the K&N for the stories i heard. i dont care how shitty it sounds, but the words speak for itself

what kind of weather do you expect sasquatch? because with cold-air, it is possible to get hydro lock (something like that) which is when you suck up water driving over floods/puddles/etc
Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

exactly...where I live we get LOTS of rain.....another reason I can't go full on CAI without a water trap. I like the look of the AEM but I'm interested in what is working best for people. Anyone out there have good price sources for the K&N?
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
yeah if you do a search, you find that a lot of people say the short ram is better for our cars. i head the cai were better for the 6th gen civics. i think someone actually did a dyno with a sri and a cai on our cars and the sri ended a little higher especially for autos, its on one of the threads on the forums if you do a search i'm sure you can find it. If you want the absolute best then go with the K&N. I read somewhere with the K&N you dont experience the low rpm power lost. I didnt feel like payin $200 for the K&N, i'd rather just $60 for a used AEM and get slightly better performance over stock. I know a lot of people are selling the AEM sri on teh forums so you can probably pick one up for pretty cheap. i dont think the difference between the two is that big, because either way our cars are slow with the exception of a engine swap or turbo. i like it more for the increase in mileage rather then the power, the power increase is barely noticeable.
Old 06-27-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
for EX, and AT, K&N FIPK generation 2. Yes, it will be pricey, and so will a AEMV2. If not, go with the AEM SRI or Injen SRI. AEM SRI should be about $100 or maybe less. But if youre not always in the upper RPM region, there is no point to an intake except it makes a nice sound when you shut off the car.
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
i gotta 04 civic ex auto with aem short ram intake...
IMO, it sounds great and there is a noticeable power gain at the high rpm ranges...
but then again...wherever u saw the " more torque gains " quote or whatever, that is wrong. u do loose some power at low rpm range, but its not bad at all. Cant really notice it. Just get aem tru power pulleys kit to gain back the low end power loss. and of course u will also get more power at low rpm range then wat u used to have without the intake.