Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

My DH Ported Head (PICS)!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by gearbox
So what would happen if I just slap everything in there? Will the air bounce off the gasket or something? I didn't think DH was making the actual holes bigger, just the inside. So now what?
DH fcked up. They didn't do the port job correct. To properly port a head you are supposed to PORT MATCH the gasket to the head. That is - take the exhaust gasket, lay it on the head, trace around the holes and only take away that much material. Maybe they thought you were going to be running a larger exhaust header - only thing I can think of besides the fact that their work sucks *** anyhow.

As far as a problem - its not going to do much for the airflow. If you got the proper header it would flow better, but it should not flow worse than stock. The only thing I would be worried about are leaks. The exhaust gasket is designed to prevent leaks - if the head holes are too large there is a good chance it will leak....
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

Ershall is an unknown quantity at this point
allright cool, a response from someone that knows what he's talking about....What he said.
Old 05-02-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Well I told them it's for an NA setup. So what should I do so it doesn't leak? Have the shop trim the gasket to match? And then the holes for the header will be smaller anyway.
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

I think the header holes being smaller may cause problems as well. Is the header metal thick enough to dremmell/file the header to match?
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Your best bet would take it to a pro and see what he says. Ershal and opto maybe right but they are only guessing possibilities because they cant see the actual work. They may be right or they may be wrong so dont get too upset about anything..... just take it to a pro and see what he says before jumping the gun.
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by HustleLikeM0FO
Your best bet would take it to a pro and see what he says. Ershal and opto maybe right but they are only guessing possibilities because they cant see the actual work. They may be right or they may be wrong so dont get too upset about anything..... just take it to a pro and see what he says before jumping the gun.
Good idea....consult with the guy who is going to install your head.
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Actually - just found some good info that you might be interested in. According to the smart folks on the web - the setup you are planning to use may induce what's called "exhaust gas reversion." What this means:

Reversion: (Noun) An exhaust gas behavioral phenomenon that occurs in conditions where localized exhaust back-pressure is equal to or higher than the pressure exerted by the closing piston during the exhaust stroke. During exhaust gas reversion, exhaust gases sneak back into the combustion chamber during valve overlap (the short period in which both intake and exhaust valves are open). This results in elevated in-cylinder temperatures and a dramatic reduction in an engine’s volumetric
Taken from http://importdesigns.com/index.cfm?f...h_article_id=5

In other words - your best bet is to get some headers that are LARGER than the ports on the head (or as close to them as you can get)....
Old 05-02-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Well here is what I got. Looks like an HP header. It's still a bit smaller than the head ports.

Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

Take a caliper and measure each one and see how much bigger they are.....

Talk to the shop that you plan on having do this (didn't you say it was a custom shop?) - they may know more about this. It may not be as big of an effect on such a small engine - but regardless you might see a performance decrease do the reversion effect...
Old 05-02-2004
Premium Member

Thanks I'll see what they say. I'm so fed up with DH right now, and I can't just take a loss seeing I've spent $1000 or more on the head and parts. I really hope it works out.

I wonder what Catalyst is doing with his pnp? Are the SF turbo ports on the header larger than the head ports.
Old 05-02-2004
Registered!!

rude_d17a1 is an unknown quantity at this point
gearbox, have you done a stock baseline on the dyno with your car to see exactly what the difference will be? i looked through the 17 pages this thread is and didnt see what your base run was is you have one.
Old 05-02-2004
Premium Member

Well, I don't have the money or time to get a baseline dyno. Stock EX makes between 100-110whp. I know every car is different. Nearest dyno for me is 3 hrs away, and I work every day. So it's gonna be fun trying to get a day off work so I can spend all day in Chicago getting it tuned. I doubt it'll be any time soon.
Old 05-03-2004
Registered!!

rude_d17a1 is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i know its a pain to do that, in fact i dont know any place off hand that has a dyno in the niagara falls area but then again i havn't looked into that too much. It would be nice to know tho if as a hypothetical situation you started at 100whp and gained 20 or if you started at 110 and gained 10.... but i guess u already invested enough into this and your final whp is what really counts
Old 05-09-2004
Premium Member

Okay, new update. Civicstreetrcr has offered to help me out on the head install on May 28.

So I have until then to buy a dremmel and port match the gasket. Now the good news is the header ports are only about 1.5 mm smaller in diamater than the head ports, so I'll only have to shave off about .75mm all around. The gasket ports are amazingly small, so those will need alot more work. Wish me luck.
Old 05-09-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
gearbox, so the shop that was gonna do it backed out or what?
Old 05-09-2004
Premium Member

I don't know what happened. My appointment was like 3 weeks ago and they kept making excuses. I've been calling a few times a day, but the guy never answers or returns calls. So I just stopped calling.
Old 05-09-2004
Registered!!

That just sucks man..I'd be going up there and confronting him...asking him why he wasn't coming at me like a man.
Old 05-09-2004
Registered!!

PacSmalls is an unknown quantity at this point
wow i just read this whole thread haha ;\
Old 05-10-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
HP Header holes are larger than stock header holes. I have pics of it in my DIY. See sig.

I don't know if that's old info or not. Sorry, I haven't been following this thread. gearbox, good luck with your parts, man. Did you install the header yet? Did you ever get that one bolt off?
Old 05-10-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
See?

(At least I think they were a little bigger)
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

CrankinCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
urbabna huh i mean its still a drive and a half but theres a shop in mundelin that has a dyno , Ultimate drivers just incase thats closer to ya , i totally forget how long the drive is to my house ...
Old 05-10-2004
Premium Member

Header ports are bigger, and I still have NOT gotten the bolts off. I'm hoping the guy installing for me will be able to. Is there a way to break them off, because I have new bolts.

So what is a good place to tune my vafcII that's nearby?
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

CrankinCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
well if your up here near like woodfield or arlington race track , you can go to one 6 motor sports, or team noble racing, or ultimate drivers, they have a dyno ...
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Good luck with the install on the 28th. Do you have a helm manual for torque specs for the bolts?
Old 05-10-2004
Premium Member

Civicstreetrcr I believe has all that stuff. He just installed a DH head recently. I just need to get a dremmel and work on the header ports and gasket. Hope I don't mess up.
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

dremel's the shiot.
Old 05-11-2004
Premium Member

I think I know what a dremel is. Someone post a pic.
Old 05-11-2004
Premium Member

This is seriously gonna take forever. I did one port on the gasket in an hour. And now it's starting to bend into weird shapes. It's taking forever to grind down and make sure it's smooth. I'm taking pics as I go, but it's getting late and I'm gonna have to quit soon. This thing is really loud.
Old 05-12-2004
Premium Member

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...hreadid=154478
Old 05-12-2004
Premium Member

Oh man all those pics are red x's.

gearbox, is this something that you could get a shop to do for you? I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying that they have experience.

Did you practice on some extra piece first? Just so you can get a feel for how it works?

Quick Reply: My DH Ported Head (PICS)!