Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

My DH Ported Head (PICS)!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004
Your Parts Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by gearbox
I've thought about that, and I bet I/H/E would make more of a difference. It still should have some gain, since air is flowing through the engine better. That is, if the engine is the limiting factor.

I'm sure if the head shows good gains, I will be going back for more parts. I'm glad I decided against turbo.
So they did an N/A port job for you? I personally cannot wait to see the numbers because it is much harder to pull power out of N/A that an FI port.
Old 04-02-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, car is stock. RScivic said the head made a big difference with her turbo, so I'm hoping the NA head will show some good gains as well.

It will be interesting to see the results. When I say stock, I mean stock as in no intake or anything. The only mods I have are muffler (not catback), new plugs, OEM K&N air filter, and HVS with ground wires. I doubt they gave me more than a few whp.

Also the VAFCII should be able to squeeze some more power from the head after it's been tuned.
Old 04-03-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
You'll see/feel gains from the head if it's done right...My port work that was done made a difference that I could REALLY feel. I would wait to tune the VAFC gearbox, you really need to get some basic bolt ons first, because you'll have to retune the car
Old 04-03-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks cwick187. The thing is I don't have a catback exhaust, so adding header and intake probably won't do much. I'm not really liking that intake noise, either. I'm gonna see if the head makes enough power and then maybe think about boltons. But I'll wait on the tuning.
Old 04-03-2004
Premium Member

Would it help just to get a header?
Old 04-03-2004

keepin_it_clean is an unknown quantity at this point
a header would help somewhat but not as much as an ported intake manifold or tb would
Old 04-03-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
K&N FIPK II
Old 04-03-2004
Premium Member

I was thinking about the FIPK as well. It's just the noise I hate. I'm probably getting a DC sports header soon (ceramic). Is it easy to install? I think someone said there's a gasket to be replaced. Any DIY posts about it?
Old 04-03-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Um yeah, look at the link in my sig.

FIPK isn't any louder than stock unless you're above 4k rpm. So it's only if you're under heavy acceleration that you'll hear it.

It's good to see you hate intake noise. That's very anti-rice of you (Here I'm referring to a ricer who gets an intake just for the noise it makes, to "sound fast." Especially if he gets a cheap one that results in a loss of power.)
Old 04-03-2004
Premium Member

Oh yeah, I remember that DIY. Did you replace that gasket in your figure as well?
Old 04-03-2004
Premium Member

The stock gasket worked fine for me.
Old 04-03-2004
Premium Member

Ironfist, can you install mine at the Chicago meet?
Old 04-03-2004
Premium Member

Probably not since a) I had a bitch of a time getting one of the bolts off and had to go to a mechanic to get help, and b) I probably won't be able to make it there anyway.

Sorry dude.
Old 04-03-2004
Premium Member

That's cool. Your DIY is really good, so it should make things easier. I guess I could use a match on the bolts.
Old 04-04-2004
Premium Member

lol, I think you might need a blow torch instead. If it's tough for you, too, I mean. It might be easy. You never know.
Old 04-04-2004
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
Your head looks good dude. The ports arent as big as mine but then again I got the full race pnp for F.I.
Old 04-04-2004
Premium Member

Thanks man. Mine should be the N/A job, since it's going on a stock car for now.
Old 04-07-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Sook the bolts in wd-40 and let them sit for 10 minutes. Should help on the install of a header. The dc header wasnt hard to install at all. I have the stainless steel, but I dont think it makes a difference. Hardest thing to do was torquing the bolt by the alt., but everything else was easy. Putting the car on ramps or a incline will help in getting the bolts on the down pipe off.
Old 04-07-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Well i was lookin at some othere pics of porting work

and it looks pretty good

looks like the exhaust ports needed a lil more polishing?
Old 04-07-2004
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by dre2600
Looks really good, not so much styrofoam as the last fellow who posted pics of his DH-modded head.
i think it was prod and jodster that were having problems with their port job
Old 04-07-2004
Registered!!

1320Racing is an unknown quantity at this point
How long did it take to get the parts. From the time you ordered it.
Old 04-07-2004
Si(R) killer # 1

CoupeStylz is an unknown quantity at this point
how much are those? 500 with core 800 without, right?
Old 04-07-2004
Premium Member

Mine was $740 shipped with a small discount, and I kept my core. When I send it back to them, I get $100 back. It's $550 if you send them your core to start. Took a little over a month to get mine. Not bad at all considering they had to find me a head.

I would really wait until mine is installed and I can post results.
Old 04-07-2004
No Title

maxsin is an unknown quantity at this point
I will be waiting those results too. Good luck at the dyno.
Old 04-07-2004
Registered!!

Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
I see the head in good shape for the first time, I rarely post on these forums due to lil knowledge on the parts but Im almost getting there. I have read many forums and most with DH-racing were pretty negative, but Im willing to take a chance. Let me know when you get it installed Just like everyone else will be waiting. Didn't someone else install theirs recently....I forgot who it was, well I'll check back with you guys..
B E Z
Old 04-07-2004
Premium Member

At least three people have installed the head and posted good gains. I think they were all turbo setups. So I'll be the first N/A.
Old 04-10-2004
Premium Member

Is there any way to tell whether I really got a vtec head?
Old 04-11-2004
K20 Member

ImportRacer2123 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah if the VTEC soleniod mounts to the head correctly then its for a VTEC head
Old 04-11-2004
Premium Member

I don't know what that is, but I'm assuming the mechanics will find out when they try to install it. Thanks. So a non-vtec head won't fit my vtec engine then, right?
Old 04-11-2004
Premium Member

What's a solenoid?

Quick Reply: My DH Ported Head (PICS)!