Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

UPDATE: Dual-groove pulley INSTALLED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
Originally posted by CarbonFly
So the person who has it on their car has an 02. So maybe honda changed their crank pulleys on the 03 and 04 models?
Well i have an 02 ex so should i have any problems?
Old 02-26-2004
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Do you have probelms? I haven't tried to install mine on my 02 ex yet.
Old 02-26-2004
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
when you bring it to a mechanic bring the number for dh racing and have the mechanic talk to them directly or something and hopefully they can figure it out over the phone
Old 02-26-2004
Premium Member

i havent installed it yet cause i havent bought the belts yet but im planning on taking to a shop who is capable of doing engine shops so i hope they can figure it out
Old 02-26-2004
Banned

DhRacingJosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, guys this is rediculous. Whatever mechanics you are dealing with are idiots. Not pointing the finger at anyone doing this themself because I give you credit for your effort, but I walked a V-8 Mechanic through it the other day and he was dumbfounded on how easy it was.

THE PULLEY DOES NOT USE A KEY WAY!!! WE DO THIS BECAUSE ALUMINUM IS A VIBRATION DAMPONER, IT REMOVE VIBRATION THROUGH THE ENTIRE MOTOR, AND THE PULLEY HAS NO CHANCE OF SPINNING. I AND DAVE BOTH HAVE THIS ON MOTORS THAT PUT OUT WAY MORE POWER THEN THE D17'S YOU ARE DEALING WITH AND EVEN WITH DAVE MAKING MORE THEN 220 ALL MOTOR FT LBS OF TORQUE THE PULLEY DOESN'T HAVE A CHANCE OF MOVING. SORRY FOR THE CAPS JUST WANT EVERYONE TO SEE

Simply do the following:

Trim Your Timing Cover if needed for the pulley to go on snug.
Press the pulley on
Tighten the bolt down and make sure pulley is staight and not angled
Check and make sure piston #1 is at top dead center and set your mark at the same spot as the timing cover.

This is not hard, really the simplest install of all we offer. If a mechanic can't do it then that is good because it tells you, YOU DEFINATELY NEED TO FIND A NEW ONE.

AGAIN, I DON'T KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE CONVERSING ON HERE BETWEEN EACH OTHER, I MEAN IT IS A FORUM, BUT IF YOU ARE STUCK BY ALL MEANS I AM OPEN AT ANY TIME OF DAY OR NIGHT TO TAKE YOUR PHONE CALL ON MY CELL PHONE (661)547-1508. I DON'T WANT THIS TO GO ON FOR MONTHS, JUST CALL ME WITH ANY PROBLEMS AND I WILL GLADLY HELP YOU GUYS OUT.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!
Old 02-26-2004
Banned

Are people having problem with the "CRANK SENSOR"??? There is a spacer I believe just like stock that has to go back in there to ensure it doesn't crush the sensor. What's the rate right now on successful installs and non? Let me know. Thanks everyone
Old 02-26-2004
Registered!!

Entropy is an unknown quantity at this point
ok josh, I just think its a lot of paranoia on our parts getting into something we haven't done before, and this is really the only question I have before I install it. Will there be any force needed to place the pulley on, or should it slide on perfectly. What I mean here is will it slide on with no space between the pulley and the crank.
Old 02-26-2004
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by DhRacingJosh
... IF YOU ARE STUCK BY ALL MEANS I AM OPEN AT ANY TIME OF DAY OR NIGHT TO TAKE YOUR PHONE CALL ON MY CELL PHONE (661)547-1508. I DON'T WANT THIS TO GO ON FOR MONTHS, JUST CALL ME WITH ANY PROBLEMS AND I WILL GLADLY HELP YOU GUYS OUT.
THAT'S A GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICES ....

DH-RACING / Josh / Dave
Old 02-26-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know what's going on. The first poster had it installed with no problem...then a few other people try and fail.

I remember Josh saying the pulley is designed to be no key way. So that means it just presses on once you take off the old pulley, right?
Old 02-26-2004

K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by gearbox
I don't know what's going on. The first poster had it installed with no problem...then a few other people try and fail.

I remember Josh saying the pulley is designed to be no key way. So that means it just presses on once you take off the old pulley, right?
i don't get it either
Old 02-26-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
So how did your mechanic do it? Just take off old one and put new one on?
Old 02-26-2004

K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
yeah...all they had trouble with was finding the belt sizes...which by the way the guy didn't give me when i called him on tuesday...sorry guys...what a jerk..
Old 02-26-2004
Registered!!

lid6662 is an unknown quantity at this point
SLeePeRCIVICHopeful
Can u tell us any more info on how it feels power wise since u have had few days to try it out...

imp:
Old 02-26-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
you guys are so paranoid....a new engine dont cost that much anyway ha ha jk jk

Anyway what should we torque the pulley to? the recommended 14lbs?
Old 02-27-2004

Originally posted by lid6662
SLeePeRCIVICHopeful
Can u tell us any more info on how it feels power wise since u have had few days to try it out...

imp:
well its been one week since i got the pulley on today...the car feels fine...powerwise, i can feel it kick up faster at around 3k...the real test on this will come in about 2 days...california speedway on the 28th baby...hopefully i don't suck too bad...
Old 02-27-2004
Registered!!

canadian2k1si is on a distinguished road
So, the pulley obviously presses on, by hand & nut power. But if we want to remove it in the future, to replace crank, or change to single groove pulley, how difficult will it be to remove? Anyone have experience in this area?
Old 02-27-2004
Banned

Ok guys. Some people are saying that they did it just fine and some say they can't. I took a D17 Motor over to the machinist today and it looks like the pulley rubs the crank sensor being we did not realize the pulley would sit inside the timing gear. We are going to send a special billet spacer for your pulleys to ensure the sensor does not get messed up. Look for it in the mail and get it on, it should make the install quite a bit easier too. I really want everyone to get it on and have it running like a beast. I understand everyone is worried, but trust me it will be just fine. I am going to cut a timing cover take a pic of it and show everyone how it should be. Anything else I can do to help with pics I will try and do also while I am working on that. Thanks
Old 02-27-2004
Banned

It will come off A LOT easier then the stock pulley
Old 02-27-2004
Premium Member

since now that we are getting another part can we also get updated instructions to make sure that this will be installed correctly with every part for the dual groove pulley
Old 02-27-2004
Banned

I mean the instructions are as basic as I said. I will send pics of what the timing cover should look like, and from then on you put the spacer in press the pulley on, tighten the bolt down, set your timing mark, and install the belts. My cell phone is always on.
Old 02-27-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Now that is customer service...Josh went the extra mile to see what the deal was...I commend you, Josh for taking the time to find the problem.
Old 02-27-2004
Registered!!

Entropy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats great, thanks Josh. What other company would send you an extra piece to prevent any future problems that a few people might have?
Old 02-27-2004
Registered!!

anotherlevel is an unknown quantity at this point
I hope I get mine soon, I can't wait to install it.
Old 02-27-2004
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by DhRacingJosh
...it looks like the pulley rubs the crank sensor being we did not realize the pulley would sit inside the timing gear. We are going to send a special billet spacer for your pulleys to ensure the sensor does not get messed up...
are you going to make a new pulley instead of add a spacer??????? if YES, for everyone who did not recieve the pulley yet, are you going to send the NEW pulley???

thank you kindly
Old 02-27-2004
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by cwick187
Now that is customer service...Josh went the extra mile to see what the deal was...I commend you, Josh for taking the time to find the problem.
Shouldn't have been a problem in the first place if it was truly r&d'd.
Old 02-27-2004
Registered!!

SQCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
What is the status of the pulleys from the original group buy? I believe there are several who have not received it yet.
Old 02-27-2004
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
I haven't got mine yet.
Old 02-27-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
I just got mine today, a few hrs ago. So, you (josh) are sending out spacers to everyone who has purchased this? I dont know when I am going to install it, so should I just wait for the spacer to get here before I install?
Old 02-27-2004
Banned

Originally posted by dober
Shouldn't have been a problem in the first place if it was truly r&d'd.
Dude it's all part of engineering. You can't expect there not to be Trial and Error. The thing is the motor we had from the junkyard didn't have the crank angle sensor and without it on there you almost can't tell it's supposed to be there, so we didn't have any clearance issues. The pulley will work, but I am sending something for 100% chance of no sensor damage. I don't see anyone else putting out products like this for the D17. We break our back to get new things out for you guys day in a day out. I think we have done pretty good keeping up with your needs, I have pistons, rods, ect...all out for the motor. I have searched everywhere and don't find anyone who even gives the D17 the time of day. You know what I can say, atleast I am humble and honest enough to come on here and state what happened and not keep it to myself and wait for people to come to me, and just like saying "Well you didn't do it right" This is the attitude of most shops.

Yesterday the last of them were sent out so look for them early next week. Sorry about this guys, everything should be fine, but this spacer is just for peace of mind.
Old 02-27-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
^ so will the spacer be sent out to everyone? Or do we have to call or something?

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Dual-groove pulley INSTALLED!!!