Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

UPDATE: Dual-groove pulley INSTALLED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
wait wait wait, ur saying it DOES make a difference? Or it's the right belt? LoL. Cuz it looks like a D17 from the pic u posted above, guessing by the plastic intake mani.

Anyways, it's weird, it has like littke ridges inbetween to better explain...

It looks like this: ||||||
.......................------
.......................||||||

don't mind the periods, it doesn't pick up the spaces like in HTML.

Liked the dashed line in the middle is a break inbetween, would that cause a problem, I asked my dad and he says as long as it's a 6 rib and it's the right size then it will fit.

Also, my PS belt is quite a bit longer then my ac/alternator beslt, is that right?
Old 03-14-2004
Banned

DhRacingJosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing is set for optimal power. If it is off then no matter what when you tune it's not going to be on correctly and you won't be getting the most from your engine.
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

I guess my major this is, how do I keep my timing the same when changing my pulley out?
Old 03-14-2004
Banned

Dude put the piston at top dead center put the pulley and timing cover on and wherever the mark from the timing cover is at on the pulley, make a mark on that spot simple. Timing is set when the piston it as top dead center, then you know your timing is correct.
Old 03-14-2004
Banned

Thought you said you had it, hehee, jk
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

lol smart ***, I just don't wanna fauk up my car, whats the easiest way to tell if your piston is at the top dead center, remove the spark plug? I know I sound like a faukin naggin bitch...........
Old 03-14-2004
Banned

Yeah take out the number 1 plug and shine a light in there and wiggle the crank back and forth till it looks like it is at the top and is going a little past the center either way.
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

aight that's cool, I'm going to do it tommarow so hopefully everything goes strait, and did anyone answer the question of whether the PS belt was suppose to be longer then the ac/alternator belt?
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand how marking the pulley will set the timing. This is really confusing. Is it just so the tuning shop knows where the piston is for some reason?
Old 03-14-2004
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Marking the pulley is not setting the timing. You are just marking where TDC is so that a "tuner" can advance or retard the timing later down the line when you dyno tune the car.

You can just slap the pulley on and the belts. Don't even look at the piston at all and the car will run fine. The only reason you mark the fvcking pulley is for FUTURE reference.
Old 03-14-2004

silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
ahhah, i dont have it yet and i got it.
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

no, now he said that when the piston is at TDC that the timing is set. Therefore if you take off your old pulley, slap on the new one, set it to TDC, it will be close if not perfect timing.
Old 03-14-2004

silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
what is the marking for, im interested now cause im getting one
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
So what's the difference? If marking the pulley isn't setting timing, how do you set the timing?
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

You set the timing by putting the pulley at TDC. The marking is for if the shop needs to advance or retard the timing, they know where TDC is.
Old 03-14-2004
Banned

You set the mark to know where the timing is at. You stop your car you think the piston is always going to come to a stop at the top, no, so they know by the pulley where to advance or retard the timing. Plain and simple just make a mark on the pulley where the mark is on the timing cover when you have gotten your piston to the top.
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

soo.....you have to go take it to get tuned. Damnit I think I have it one time and then I just lose it. perhaps a diagram would be worth it. LoL.
Old 03-14-2004

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Originally posted by Project2k2
soo.....you have to go take it to get tuned. Damnit I think I have it one time and then I just lose it. perhaps a diagram would be worth it. LoL.
Stop thinking!!!

Josh........please take this with the most respect.......Shutup!!! LOL. You are confusing them. They don't know that much about engines.

Just because you are putting the mark on the pulley, doesn't mean you are CHANGING the timing. Think of it better as "standardizing". You are placing the mark on the pulley to indicate TDC for the #1 piston.

Simply, the mark you are putting on isn't changing the timing. It's setting up the basis for the stock timing. When you go to a shop and get on a dyno, the shop will retard/advance the cam gear Xdegrees BTDC/ATDC. Setting the notch in the pulley just let's them know where TDC is to begin with. There is a relationship between the crank pulley and the cam gear that nobody has talked about yet in this thread, and it may be why you don't understand.

You do NOT have to set the timing with the pulley. The stock pulley has a mark on it that shows you where Top Dead Center is.

So basically all you are doing is making a new mark on your DH pulley so that tuners will know where TDC is when they tune your car or change the timing.
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

But we do have to set the timing by making sure the piston is in the middle? So basically you remove old pulley, put on new pulley, turn the crank until the piston is in the middle of the spark plug hole, and then mark the pulley?
Old 03-14-2004

Originally posted by gearbox
So basically you remove old pulley, put on new pulley, turn the crank until the piston is in the middle of the spark plug hole, and then mark the pulley?
DING DING DING ............. what do we have for our winner Johnny?
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

wait wait wait, I get it, atleast I think I do again, just bare with me. Ok here we go:

*This is assuming that the pulley and timing cover both have been marked at TDC*

When you pull your pulley off, mark the timing cover where the mark is on the pulley. Then when you put on the new pulley mark it at TDC, then after that is done, rotate the crank shaft until the pulley is at the mark you made when you first pulled your stock pulley off. Therefore the timing would be the same as if you didn't even touch anything.

If this isn't right I give up and I am taking the damn thing to a shop.
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

ok **** it, after reading the posts, I realized there's not much I can do but put it at TDC take it to be dyno tuned, pay my 125 an hour and be done with it.
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

Dude you got it all backwards, lol. Read the last thing I said about it. The timing cover is already marked. You mark the new DH pulley after doing everything else. It should be the last thing you do.
Old 03-15-2004
Banned

Ok Ill let it go. You all can figure it out. Sorry to be confusing. Thanks again everyone and best of luck.
Old 03-15-2004

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
pullies are slow
Old 03-15-2004
Banned

Originally posted by player
pullies are slow
I don't think anything turning at 7000+ RPMS are slow. I've got on my CRX and it is nothing short of powerful
Old 03-15-2004
Premium Member

I under stand that carbon, what I am trying to say is mark the timing cover where TDC is already matked on the stock pulley. Then when you pull if off and put on the new one you mark it at TDC then turn the crank to line up with the the mark made by the other pulley. ANyways, I have no idea.

All I am going to do is install the bitch, mark it at TDC and be done with it. LoL.
Old 03-15-2004
Premium Member

Also, what was recommended for stopping the pulley from turning?
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe a flywheel strap?
Old 03-15-2004
Premium Member

There is a special tool for that someone already posted a long time ago. Don't know if it's required.

Now let's review:

1) Take off old pulley.

2) Put on new pulley

3) Turn crank until piston 1 is at total dead center (TDC)

4) Find the mark on the timing cover and make the same mark on the new DH pulley.

5) Now when the pulley mark is lined up with the timing mark, you'll know the piston is at TDC.

6) The end, lol!

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Dual-groove pulley INSTALLED!!!