Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

UPDATE: Dual-groove pulley INSTALLED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by czechcivic
Why was the install so pricy??I was quoted 60 bucks buy one shop and 40 bucks by another....Was that the original quote they gave you for the install?
actually i couldn't find another shop to do it...super autobacs woudln't even touch the pulley when i told them it was custom work....but yeah i'm never going back to these guys...the original quote was $130...i bet you guys can find better prices...lol which is why i couldn't buy the you know whats...
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by czechcivic
yeah wouldnt it die at an idle that low....or at least stutter alot
yea, every once in a while when i step on the brake and when I get to a complete stop it stutters. Before, when i'd step on the brake and it came to a complete stop it would shut off. A few other people have this problem as well. People say it has to do with the weather, a mixture of moisture and being cold. At times, I still feel like it will shut off, but it doesnt. I'll have to take a pic of where it idles at when my car is warmed up. I think reseting the ECU fixed the problem though, I forgot.
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

czechcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by SLeePeRCIVICHopeful
actually i couldn't find another shop to do it...super autobacs woudln't even touch the pulley when i told them it was custom work....but yeah i'm never going back to these guys...the original quote was $130...i bet you guys can find better prices...lol which is why i couldn't buy the you know whats...
Its all good man someone is on the way to pick up the you know whats..lol
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

anotherlevel is an unknown quantity at this point
This sucks, Im still waiting on mine. I have planned to do it on Tuesday as long as I get it. My friend is installing the pulley, header, and catback exhaust, and my summer chrome rims for $70.00. Can't beat it. Im sure I'll be doing a lot of it myself though.
Old 02-21-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Um, how do you know your car idles at 150? Isn't the first mark on our tachs at 500rpm?
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
um..two things

two amps is more than a mid size system...

and geez we are so demanding!!
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

Civictuner04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I just tried to hav my mechanic to put my pulley on yesterday but he wouldnt do it. He said it was a drag pulley and that it is not appropriate for normal everyday driving. He said it would weaken the alternator and most likely due damage to the engine. Also he said there was no keyway which there shouldve been.

My mechanic has alot of experience with cars, right now he has 6 various racecars in his shop. I trust him and im going to listen to him and not hav the pulley installed. Im going to talk to josh about sending my pulley back and getting my money back.

F***~
Old 02-21-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
i was told the same thing, therefore didnt buy
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

UnOrthodox9546 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Civictuner04
He said it was a drag pulley and that it is not appropriate for normal everyday driving. He said it would weaken the alternator and most likely due damage to the engine.
what kind of damage could it do ???
Old 02-21-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Your mechanic doesn't seem to know as much as he claims, as indicated by his first statement. I'm surprised he didn't say anything about all the other mods you have, many of which can also damage the engine over time. Very slowly, but still...I've had an awesome mechanic tell my dad that an intake will ruin the engine because of increased airflow that the engine wasn't designed for. Who would listen to that?

It's only a pulley, and it was designed to be no key way so it wouldn't vibrate. Telll him that other pulleys that use a key will vibrate and cause engine damage. It's been proven already by a member here.

The alternator on our cars suck, and I've seen tons of posts here about them dying on stock cars. So maybe the factory pulley caused that.

Oh and that up there is the typical response you get from someone who does not understand something. I don't know, I've never seen it, so it will never work. Just my opinion. I've seen it all the time.
Old 02-21-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
is this pulley balanced, does it throw the balance of the engine off?
Old 02-21-2004

K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
according to josh from dh-racing...the pulley is balanced...i'm surprised he hasn't posted here...he probably just has subscriptions to certain parts of the forum (i.e. group buy forum)
Old 02-21-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
A no key way pulley CAN NOT vibrate. It is physically impossible because it sits against the crank. Pulleys that use a key can vibrate while rotating. And yes, it was made on a CNC with computers, so it's balanced.
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

ELaudio is an unknown quantity at this point
If properly designed, a pulley with a keyway can operate with NO vibration. If the key inserted in the keyway is the right size and mass, then it will offset the keyway itself. Bottom line is, on our engines the vibration caused by a keway'd pulley would be negligible.

Keyways serve two purposes;

1) To prevent slippage
2) The key is designed to shear under high stress, before the pulley does (this is the main purpose). So, if the pulley is under exterme stress, the key in effect protects the pulley by preventing it from cracking all over.

A no Keyway pulley CAN in fact vibrate. It can vibrate a lot. In fact, every pulley, no matter how well balanced will vibrate to some degree. There is no such thing as perfect balancing. I'm sure DH Racing's pulley is extremely well balanced, though.

Sorry, don't want to start a war here! I just wanted to put in my 2 cents...
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

kileryoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone gotten the size belts yet. I know this has been repeated so much and beating a dead horse comes to mind but to my knowledge it hasnt been posted yet.
Old 02-21-2004
Premium Member

That's good info from ELaudio. I'm basing my knowledge off this from the UR pulley that uses a key. After only 6 months, there was an expensive engine problem. I know the DH pulley is quality and will be putting it on hopefully soon with some help.

We should be getting belt sizes as more people get theirs installed.
Old 02-21-2004

i already posted this...but the guy at the shop told me to call back on monday and he should have the belt sizes by then...
Old 02-21-2004
Premium Member

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
Ok well here goes with my install of the dual groove pulley. currently its days 2 the only problem i face is incorrect belt size for the alternator. there are two belts one is a 4 notch belt and the other is 6 notch. the 6 goes on first and the 4 goes on second. The 6 groove belt powers the alternator and the 4 groov the power steering. ok here is my progress. i got the pulley on got the powersteering belt to fit perfectly but the alternator belt i am having trouble. no trouble with installing. i just keep getting my measurment wrong. first i bought one that was too big and the belt would slip. next i got one thaty was too small so it wouldnt go on at all. currently a friend of mine is on his way with a new belt that will work because its the only size left. so here goes with the belt sizes you should need...

for sure the belt size on the powersteering is :
Gates #K040390
the actual size of the belt is 14 mm x 1005mm

for the alternator im sure that Kelly Springfield model #350k6 will work that is what is being brought to me in a few. the actual size of that belt is 35 inches and it is 6 notches.

the problem i was having was that i bought the #345k6 which was too small and the #360k6 was too big so buying a 350k6 will work just fine. I'll update the info to make sure that the belt sizes are correct once the belt gets to me.
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

by the way where did you buy these belts and for how much?
Old 02-21-2004
Premium Member

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
Gates was from O'reilly autoparts for around $12 and the kelly springfield was from autozone for like $8
Old 02-21-2004
Premium Member

Cool. Let us know the sizes once you get everything figured out.
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

Are you sure you do not have those numbers backwards #K040390
come up on the autozone site as the kelly belt not the gates.
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm still biased...All the mechanics I have talked to from Honda here is telling me not to install this pulley...Even the master mechanic, ( A good friend) is telling me that it could still cause serious damage to our engines. Maybe everyone I talk to is wrong, but I never have known Joey (Honda master mechanic) to steer me or anyone wrong.
Old 02-21-2004
Premium Member

Yeah my old dealer said I shouldn't use any other aftermarket plugs because they mess up the engine. My new dealer insists that only NGK will work in our cars. Dealers have a tendency to steer people away from aftermarket stuff, especially things they can't see are installed (so they can't blame it if there's a warrenty issue).

If the pulley is balanced, which Josh says it is, then it can't damage the engine.
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

ELaudio is an unknown quantity at this point
Gearbox - badly manufactured pulley = balance issues! Like any other rotating component on a car, the worse the balance, the worse the vibration. Problem is that with pulleys, you can't feel the vibrations like unbalanced tires, say. But your engine can feel it!
Old 02-21-2004
Premium Member

So what's your view on this, being you're a mechanical engineer, right? I guess there's no way to really find out if it's balanced until something happens.
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

What the hell dude?? Why are you getting so pissed??? People have concerns and questions....Is there anything wrong with that..Also, the master mechanic I was referring to also has a shop on the side that deals with after market install/parts....I would rather take his advice (30 years exp.) over someone on the internet that i never met before. I might be wrong, but atleast I won't run the risk if there is a prob. It's just my opinion
Old 02-22-2004
Premium Member

Sorry man, I'm not getting pissed. Just wondering if you can say what the mechanic told you. Cause if he has that much experience, he knows what's up.

Oh did you think I was being sarcastic to you? The mechanical engineer thing was for ELaudio, since he really is one.
Old 02-22-2004
Registered!!

I didn't think you were being sarcastic at all...I thought you were being an *** to tell the truth...It'll all good, I just try to understand both sides to each explantion. I would try to repeat what my mechanic told me, but it was kinda over my head....Feel free to call him with any questions you might have...Maybe he could give you guys some good advice...Hell, maybe you could teach him something he doesn't know ...Joey Songer (Raceworks) (770)886-1380 He's a great guy and would be glad to help/answer anyones ?'s
Old 02-22-2004
Premium Member

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
Not jumping on anyones side or being an ***, but from what I have heard, and also talked about withother people who know their ****, the only problem you would have with a pulley is either the balancing issue or timing. I still think this is a great buy if you get a single groove, the dual grove, although providing comfort, doesn't really interest me.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Dual-groove pulley INSTALLED!!!