Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Weapon R Secret Weapon or K&N Typhoon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Weapon R Secret Weapon or K&N Typhoon?

I've been putting up with a generic pipe and AutoZone Spectre filter for some time now, and I'm finally going to take it out and get a a proper intake put in. Based on reviews from the Rate Your Intake thread, I've got it between the Weapon R Secret Weapon and the K&N Typhoon. There's some things I was wondering about before I pick one though - maybe you all can clear it up.

1) Sound

How are they cruising at highway speeds? I do quite a bit as this is still my daily, sometimes with someone in the back seat. While I would like something with a strong tone, driving with a really loud roar for about an hour a day may not work.

2) Setup

I heard the Secret Weapon needed a few improv adjustments to get it in right. Anything difficult?

All I know is one of these two is replacing my ghetto pipe - whoever had the car before me put it in. If anyone has experience with these intakes, I'd appreciate your feedback on the one you chose.

BTW - it's going in a 2005 Civic LX. DC Sports 4-1 header, Civic EX pipe/cat converter, custom piping, and topped with a HKS Hi-Power muffler.
Old 07-15-2013
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road
Re: Weapon R Secret Weapon or K&N Typhoon?

Can you hear your current intake while driving? Because it seems like your header/exhaust would definitely drown out any noise the intake is making.

Honestly, almost all intakes sound the same. I have an AEM SRI on my car, and its hardly noticeable at highway RPMS. The only difference in sound will come with an short ram intake (SRI) vs. a cold air intake (CAI). SRIs are louder, because the filter is located in the engine bay, and the sound travels into the cabin. A CAI normally located below the engine, or in the front bumper well and is not as loud, since you do not hear the filter through the firewall. It is still more noticeable than stock though.

I've only had experience with AEM. Both my brother and my dad, as well as myself, have AEM intakes on our cars. I have nothing bad to say about them. Each product came with everything that was needed to install the intake, and it fit perfectly. I especialy like AEM for their DryFlow filters. Hands down the best filter on the market (imo). Super easy to clean. And they last a LONG time.

Just based on what you said, I would look at an AEM CAI. Its a bit quieter, has a great filter, and is street legal (only relevant if your state has emissions testing). Just my opinion.
Old 07-15-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

One plus about the k&n is that it is plastic so the pipe won't absorb as much heat as a metal one.
Old 07-15-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely get the one with the plastic pipe. however, the AEM dryflow filter is the best of them all.
Old 07-18-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Matt300
1) Sound

How are they cruising at highway speeds?

2) Setup

I heard the Secret Weapon needed a few improv adjustments to get it in right. Anything difficult?
No WR defenders here?

1.) The Weapon-R Secret Weapon is pretty awesome! You really only hear it if you're flooring it, otherwise it sounds stock when you're cruising. That was a big selling point for me.

2.) The intake itself was easy to install. It does come with a crappy mounting piece that pretty much consists of a flexible strip of metal. Interestingly, you can easily fix that with your Spectre intake mounting kit. Check out the last couple of posts here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...gging-fix.html . I also changed their included pcv tube with a sturdier molded S-shaped tube.

The oiled foam filter is a bit of a pain in the ****, but BlueEM2 is right that the Dryflow is the best filter. I'm going to put that filter on my Secret Weapon soon.
Old 07-31-2013
Registered!!

Drew0306 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good info, thanks.