HIDs and Retrofitting Discuss HIDs bulbs, ballasts, projectors and custom retrofits here.

Which HID Kit to use for projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emeka_civic_EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Which HID Kit to use for projector headlights

Good Day All, I use a civic ex 2002 and I'm interested in a
Dual Halo Led Black Projector Head Lights Dual Halo Led Black Projector Head Lights
by Spec-D Tunin. My concern now is which is the best HID bulb I need to get and what is the specification.
I hope to get it right as it would takes 31 days for a standard shiping before I get the ordered part. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2013
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough
Re: Which HID Kit to use for projector headlights

You need to find out what bulb type fits the housings you want...HID bulbs are also about twice as long as regular bulbs, so you have to make sure there will be clearance inside the socket. They will usually fit, but keep in mind that those projectors are designed for halogen bulbs, and won't project as clean with the HIDs in them. That being said, once you know what bulb you need, just buy a kit from DDM Tuning. Some people hate DDM, but I've been using them for years without issue, and they're very affordable. If you want to step up to something a bit higher-end, I'd suggest Morimoto instead.
Old 01-14-2013
Registered!!

Aetoc thanks but I must say now I'm really confused. All along I was thinking that Helo Projector housing are designed for HID bulbs and kits. I reside on the other side of the planet (West Africa) with a standard order delivery of 31day (except I have the extra cash for express-which I dont ), so I want to be really careful in making an order.
Please suggest the DDM's which would work with a Hi/Low H1 35w 5000k HID Bulb (I guess that is the bulbs the fit my Civic 2002 Ex Jap spec).
So the installation video on this link is for Projector Head lights with regular halogen bulb

Thanks for your prompt response
Old 01-14-2013
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Although there are projectors that are designed for HID's, most of thos aftermarket halo light kits are designed for halogen bulbs. That being said, you can still put HIDs in those projectors, they just won't give you as clean of a cutoff or distribution pattern, and it will output less light than the higher-end projectors. Or course, it's not all bad - I have cheap projectors with DDM HIDs, and although the output isn't perfect, it's still enough to be legal and look good. In terms of what you need for the style of headlights you're looking at, if you want the low beams and the high beams to be HID, you have to buy two separate kits, as there are two sets of projectors. That's a lot of wiring and it can start to become a pain. In my opinion, I think you're better off using halogen bulbs in the high beams, and getting the DDM H1 5000k 35w kit for the low beams. This all may seem confusing, so the bottom line is that I suggest you get the headlights and the DDM kit I mentioned, and you should be fine.
Old 01-14-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

A retrofit is definitely the best way to get the most out of your headlights. I ran with HIDs in halogen projectors before, but once I got a retrofit, the difference was like day and night.

here's a side-by-side comparison pic of my before and after
Name:  SDC13370.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  74.6 KB

top beam is the halogen projector, bottom is the HID retrofit. Both HID bulbs were being powered by identical ballasts.
Old 01-15-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Aetoc
Although there are projectors that are designed for HID's, most of thos aftermarket halo light kits are designed for halogen bulbs. That being said, you can still put HIDs in those projectors, they just won't give you as clean of a cutoff or distribution pattern, and it will output less light than the higher-end projectors. Or course, it's not all bad - I have cheap projectors with DDM HIDs, and although the output isn't perfect, it's still enough to be legal and look good. In terms of what you need for the style of headlights you're looking at, if you want the low beams and the high beams to be HID, you have to buy two separate kits, as there are two sets of projectors. That's a lot of wiring and it can start to become a pain. In my opinion, I think you're better off using halogen bulbs in the high beams, and getting the DDM H1 5000k 35w kit for the low beams. This all may seem confusing, so the bottom line is that I suggest you get the headlights and the DDM kit I mentioned, and you should be fine.
Thanks Guys...
@Aetoc I get it. Halogen Bulbs in the High Beams and DDM H1 5000k in the Low Beam. Just as a mode of clearification Low beam is the projector which is second coming from left to right and the trafigator being the 3rd? also please Help with a link to DDM you suggest, do the DDM's you suggest have a long lasting slim Blast you know there is little or now space in the Civic 2002 engine bay. Thats why I'm going for your suggestion and ditching doing all the wiring.Also what good after market Halogen are there?

@xRiCeBoYx Retrofit need skills...as regards making a perfect circle for the retrofit to fit in as well as geting the right focusing for the beam. Thats pushing my DIY gene. I'm cool with Aetoc suggestion unless there is a simple way to install the retrofits you talked about(which obviously I'm not aware of). I need all the youtube links I can find as well as links to the store were good retrofits are sold.

Last edited by emeka_civic_EX; 01-15-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2013
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If you go with a morimoto mini retrofit from theretrofitsource.com, it'll be pretty much plug-n-play with your OEM headlights.
Old 01-18-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
If you go with a morimoto mini retrofit from theretrofitsource.com, it'll be pretty much plug-n-play with your OEM headlights.
Hi good day...please are there any videos out there on how to retriofit a Civic 2002 Ex head light. I also need to know the following when selecting my morimoto mini retrofit kit-

1. What choice of Bulb
2. Choice of shrouds
3. wire harness

Will greatly appreciate the help....
Old 01-18-2013
Administrator
Administrator

1) H1 or D2S, your choice. H1 is a rebased bulb, D2S is a bulb size used in OEM HIDs. D2S will typically have better quality bulbs, H1s may be cheaper. The color temperature, however, if your choice, as well. The higher the "k" value (i.e. the bulb temperature), the more blue the light will be, but the less light output, as well. Most people go with 4000k for an OEM look or 5000k for a more "cool white" color.
2) Your choice. I can't help you there. Just make sure they'll work with the morimoto projectors.
3) The wire harness hooks up directly to your stock H4 harness.
Old 01-18-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
1) H1 or D2S, your choice. H1 is a rebased bulb, D2S is a bulb size used in OEM HIDs. D2S will typically have better quality bulbs, H1s may be cheaper. The color temperature, however, if your choice, as well. The higher the "k" value (i.e. the bulb temperature), the more blue the light will be, but the less light output, as well. Most people go with 4000k for an OEM look or 5000k for a more "cool white" color.
2) Your choice. I can't help you there. Just make sure they'll work with the morimoto projectors.
3) The wire harness hooks up directly to your stock H4 harness.
Gee thanks
1. I'l go with D2S 5000k bulbs
2. I dont know what shrouds are, if I did I'l be able to make a choice. Which shrouds work with morimoto projectors there's a long list here
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237
Please what shroud will best fit this Bi-Xenon Morimoto D2S I have choosen
3. I'm going for Relay H4/9003 that should fit into the wire harness of the Civic 2002 right?
4.PLEASE I NEED A VIDEO
Thanks for your patience...My order will take 31 days to get to me so I need to get it right.
Old 01-22-2013
Registered!!

Duster is an unknown quantity at this point

Those headlights look very interesting and that tutorial video shows their interest in their buyers. Nice.