HIDs and Retrofitting Discuss HIDs bulbs, ballasts, projectors and custom retrofits here.

n00b HID question... Projector Lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
n00b HID question... Projector Lenses?

Last week one of my headlight bulbs got messed up, the wiring on the passenger side mysteriously got damaged. I've manage to fix the power source cable to the bulb, but burning out the bulb in the process. Therefore I decided just to buy an HID kit.

Before doing a lot of research, I got overly excited and ordered an HID kit from DDM Tuning without much thinking. I got 35w/9006/HB4 6000K, which should be the right size, but that's not my concern.

I hear often about the problems with HID kits spreading too much light from the OEM lenses and the only way to fix this is to have Projector HIDs or a modified OEM lens. At the moment I'm not sure just exactly what the projector is...

Are projectors simply a shroud/lens that go over standard HID bulbs? Or do projectors come with bulbs built-in to them?
Since I ordered the kit with the bulbs, is it possible to buy a projector lens/shroud that covers those bulbs?

I'm mostly confused because I've never dealt with HID lighting before, and I'm having difficulty finding the information I need, even after digging through the forums. I'd be a little disappointed to find out I'd have to pay another $100 for porjectors or if there is a better cost-effective way to curb the blinding problem...

Uhhh, thanks
Old 11-19-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: n00b HID question... Projector Lenses?

I've been looking into this alot lately since im about to do it myself. The reason they will blind other drivers is because the stock reflector is built to have a little glare from the factory (to illuminate street signs). This is fine with the halogen bulbs because relatively they dont produce much light but when you put HID's in, the reflector cant handle all of the light it produces and slings it everywhere. It's possible to curb the vertical glare by custom fitting a glare shield but the light will still not be spread evenly on the road.

This pic kinda shows what I mean- http://sportsautotech.com/wp-content...ff-output1.jpg

The extra $130 is well worth it if you've seen the difference between hid's in projectors and reflectors in person lol

*edit* this pic really shows what i mean...the left is the reflector, the right is the projector http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/216...0906194140.jpg

Last edited by rjones7755; 11-19-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we have a few good retrofit DIYs.

Since civics are so low, I run HIDs on stock headlights.
Never had any incidents with people flashing me, or anything.
Old 11-19-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Yup, i understand what the projectors do, I just don't know if there's some company that makes a lens you can just pop over a normal HID bulb. Most Projectors I've seen are a kit with built-in bulbs and wiring...

And... If i went the cheaper route and modified the OEM reflector, what would be the best way to do that?
I'm leaning toward buying projectors, but at the same time I'm really in a pinch with cash right now.
Old 11-19-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=25

you have to figure out a way to mount the projector. These projectors also (usually) require the use of a D2S bulb instead of the "modified base" HID bulbs which are made to fit into stock housings. There are some, like the morimoto minis, that have a version designed to accepts H1-based bulbs.

One advantage to going with a retrofit is you get more useful light, instead of spreading it all over the damn place like Kenny the Ricer

I even had a set of H1 HIDs in some H1 halogen projectors, and I modified the shield to have a clean cutoff at 25 yards. Once I switched to the retrofit, however, the difference was ridiculously apparent.

Name:  SDC13370.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  74.6 KB

If you've looked through the "her lights" link in my sig, then you've seen this pic. If not, the top beam is the modified halogen projector. The bottom beam is a TSX HID projector. Keep in mind that the TSX projector is apparently not the best choice for HID retrofits, but I stumbled upon this retro on these forums for $200, so I couldn't pass it up.

edit: another option would be to find a "casper shield" for your bulbs, which effectively turns the bulb made for a projector into a bulb made for an HID reflector (i.e. a D2S bulb is made for a D2S HID projector, and a D2R bulb is made for a D2R HID reflector housing). People also paint the bulb a bit with some high temp paint to emulate this.

here's a thread on HIDplanet about that:http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...e-shields-tape
I'll let you make the judgement yourself
Old 11-20-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
One advantage to going with a retrofit is you get more useful light, instead of spreading it all over the damn place like Kenny the Ricer
Lol, I think that title is going to stick.

Anyways, if you're really on a tight budget, the OEM reflectors aren't too bad.
Yes, they throw light everywhere, and isn't as focused, but on the other hand, I still get better light output than halogens.

You could always run HIDs until you can afford projectors to put them in.

Here's how my light output looks with stock reflectors.
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1343& transactionid=1353393019-67180109214&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube _video_id=HmUQ32-ibJQ[/autostream]
Old 11-20-2012

Good to know I could probably get by for a while without projectors, but I'm sure the 04-05 reflectors behave differently than the 01-03.

So... from this point, if I decide to retrofit with projectors... do I keep the HID kit I have? Is it easy to buy projectors that will work with the kit I've already purchased or will I have to get entirely new hardware...?

If anyone has experience with or has a suggestion for a projector that would be easy to work with, please let me know!
Old 11-20-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Morimoto H1 Projector.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3181

Have you hooked up the ddm kit yet? Im curious if it is noisy.
Old 11-21-2012

I've heard lots of great things about the Morimoto Minis. Do you buy chrome shrouds separately? Well, I guess that means more possibilities...

I still don't understand though... should I be able to easily wire the new projector lenses into the DDM kit, or will I need an entirely new setup?

This brings me to my last question, do I go ahead and install the DDM HID kit and wait to buy projectors down the road, or should I leave it out and stay with normal halogens until I have everything I need?
Old 11-21-2012

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

If you order from the retrofit source, your choice of chrome shrouds is included. You could install it now and then buy projectors later, the only thing is the 9006 bulbs you ordered wont fit in the H1 Morimoto minis. All you need to do when you get the projectors is order the H1 bulbs from DDM for 15 bucks.

Once i get mine installed i'll send you pictures as encouragement lol

Oh yeah and one more thing...how long did it take DDM to ship to you?
Old 11-21-2012

Finally, the answer I was looking for! Thanks!

And the DDM hasn't arrived yet, I think it takes about 2 weeks becasue it ships from China.
Old 11-21-2012

Damn :/ im gonna have to wait a long time after my projectors arrive...this'll be torture.
Did you order a harness with your hid kit?
Old 11-21-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Black Friday Sale at TRS. I already ordered the projectors before I saw this, FML.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/blackfriday/
Old 11-21-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Lol, not really sure why everyone goes DDM.
Got my HIDs off ebay for like $36, with 2 day priority shipping.
Works great too =3
Old 11-22-2012

Originally Posted by GolNat
Black Friday Sale at TRS. I already ordered the projectors before I saw this, FML.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/blackfriday/
DAMNIT. I wouldve saved like 40 bucks
Old 11-22-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I've gone through my fair share of ballasts and bulbs.. gotta say the **** I'm rockin right now are, by far, my favorite..

First set were a GB way back when, advertized waterproof ballasts and whatnot. Had problems with them, often times, the passenger side bulb would be out. Might have been due to a connection problem, but who knows. Intermittently had high pitched buzzing as well.
Second set were DDM digital slim 55Ws. Those ****ers had a high pitch buzz, not loud enough to hear in the car, but enough to irk me. Also had power problems, causing it to not illuminate the passenger side, but with a (shitty) DDM relay harness and some finagling with it, got it to work constantly. I say shitty harness because the relay they gave me was ****.
Current set are morimoto Stage II 55w with 5000k morimoto 5Five D2S bulbs. No noise, no problems, just nice bright light to accompany my TSX retro (courtesy of electric130). Also have a relay harness from TRS, and holy crap, it's nice.

edit: well, looks like it's time to buy my sister's morimoto retrofit.. $80 for D2S projectors, and $90 for the H1 morimotos? yes please!

editx2: Screw that, she's getting a full morimoto h1 retro kit. $270 to $216 after sale and coupon. Holy crap. Kenny, if you see a purple Honda Fit rocking a sick *** retro, that's my sister rolling around the bay.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 11-22-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2012

If I get the Morimoto Minis with 4300k,
what will I need to modify on the DDM kit to make them work? I mentioned below what size bulbs I ordered in the HID kit.

@rjones7755 - no, I didn't order a harness. I was told that the 04-05 doesn't need one and that DDM doesn't recommend it anymore.
Old 11-23-2012
Prelude Owner

You would just need to order an H1 bulb to fit in the projectors. Those projectors only accept H1 bulbs.
Old 11-23-2012

According to the DIYs I've seen, I shouldn't have to drill or cut the reflectors with the Minis, correct? The adapters make it pop right in?

I've seen numerous Morimoto Mini retros on a 01-03, but can't find an 04-05.
I'm assuming there's not much of a difference.
Old 11-23-2012
Prelude Owner

Correct. The mini's are suppose to be direct fit. I would assume so also!!