HIDs and Retrofitting Discuss HIDs bulbs, ballasts, projectors and custom retrofits here.

Need advice on my headlight bulb choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teahou is an unknown quantity at this point
Need advice on my headlight bulb choice

I have a 96 Civic and I drive to work in on a back road in the dark, with no street lights. So it is pretty dark, and curvy and the stock headlights are nowhere near good enough. At first I had thought about bolting a pair of driving lights to the bumper, but after researching, it seems like there are some decent bulbs out there now.

I am not interested in doing a whole HID conversion, and I am leery of the blue coated 'bright white' bulbs, because all my experiences with them makes me think the blue coat actually makes them dimmer.

So I am looking for some suggestions of decent, brighter than stock, direct-fit headlamps. I don't care about color, yellow is fine.

Thank you for reading my post.
Old 10-02-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need advice on my headlight bulb choice

your hi beams are not bright enough? you should be using hi beam unless there is oncoming traffic approaching. if you just want a better bulb, the best is either philips XV or osram nightbreaker plus. but they have a shorter life span. a good compromise is something like the clear osram silverstar +50 bulbs that are brighter but have more life. even the best bulb will only boost lumens by around 500 with both sides combined. a noticable difference, but nothing crazy considering the optics are still the same (reflector). i would recommend a pair of LED driving lights or a light bar mounted in the bumper that you can turn on and off (leds dont use much power, run cool, and dont care about being flashed on and off all the time). check bajadesigns.com and maybe grab the smaller stealth bars for the lower bumper. even one would be a good amount of light but you have to be careful because they can seriously blind someone if you forget to turn it off.
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teahou is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need advice on my headlight bulb choice

Thanks Gearbox. I am going to polish the lens, make sure they are adjusted correctly and then look into the LED items you mentioned.