1st - 5th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

DIY: Cam and Crank Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
DIY: Cam and Crank Seal Replacement

This was performed on a 95 Civic Ex with a D16, but will be similar to D15 and D17 engines. All pictures are from a 95 Civic Ex.

Items:
12mm Socket
3/8%u201D Drive wrench
Drill Bit or other hard straight object
Small flathead or metal pick
PB Blaster
Small rubber hammer

Buy from local hardware store:
1 %u00BC%u201D PVC Pipe
%u201CT%u201D adapter

Honda Part Numbers-These are for an Ex Coupe with ABS
Cam Seal - 91213-P2F-A01 (found under Camshaft-Timingbelt category)
Crank Seal - 91212-P2F-A01 (found under Oil Pump-Oil Strainer category)

This is best done while doing a timing belt job, since the belt needs to be removed in order to access the seals.

Crank Seal Procedure:

1.) Once you timing belt is removed you are left with:
Crank Sprocket:
Name:  IMG_1652_zpsb73a9dd4.jpg
Views: 35712
Size:  94.5 KB
Cam Gear:
Name:  IMG_1493_zps973fec34.jpg
Views: 21383
Size:  90.6 KB

2.) We will start with the crank seal. Remove the crank sprocket from the crankshaft. Mine was a little difficult to remove so I had to use PB Blaster and a small hammer. If you are having difficulty pulling it off, spray some PB Blaster in between the crank and sprocket, let it soak and then hit the face of the sprocket with the small hammer. Be careful not to damage the sprocket teeth! Use a rubber hammer to tap around the outside edges of the sprocket. Wiggle the sprocket back and forth with a firm grip. Repeat process if needed. It will eventually slide off.

3.) Once the sprocket is removed you will be able to see the crank seal. Take a mental note of how far recessed the seal is. The new one will need to be pressed in equally as far.

Name:  IMG_8375_zpsc56c351d.jpg
Views: 27917
Size:  122.6 KB

4.) Use your small flathead or metal pick to remove the seal. Mine came out rather easily since it was leaking and worn out.

5.) Once removed get your new seal ready. Place the new seal around the crankshaft. Don't push it in all the way into the block Grab you Home Depot seal installer tool and use that to press it further into the block. Make sure it goes in straight!

Name:  IMG_8782_zps81f2ac4e.jpg
Views: 21798
Size:  106.8 KB

Using your hammer gently drive the new seal into place, making sure to keep it going in straight. Once it stops going in and it is at the point where you took that mental picture you are good to go.

6.) Put sprocket back

Cam Seal Procedure:

You should be looking at this:

Name:  IMG_1493_zps973fec34.jpg
Views: 21383
Size:  90.6 KB

1.) Remove the Cam gear. I used a drill bit to hold the gear in place while I loosened the bolt which is a 12mm. Stick the drill bit through one of the holes in the gear and let it rest against the block.

Name:  IMG_1910_zps6e4c65fe.jpg
Views: 20551
Size:  105.8 KB

2) Use your 12mm socket and ratchet (I used a serpentine belt bar and it worked great) to break the bolt loose. I had to hold the drill bit with one hand while I loosened the bolt. I moved the gear back to TDC before removing it. Not sure if it is necessary since the gear slides on one way. Once removed you are left with:

Name:  IMG_5828_zps78adfc84.jpg
Views: 31823
Size:  119.5 KB

3.) Take another mental pictureUse your flat head or metal pick to remove the old cam seal. I found it came out easiest if I pulled it from the center. This seal also came out easily since it was worn.

4.) Grab your new seal, and place it onto the camshaft. Don't Press it in all the way; just let it kiss the edge of the head.

5.) Use your Home Depot tool to press this seal in as well. You need a short piece of pipe and your T won't fit so you will have to fashion a flat surface for you to tap with the hammer. Press it on until it stops and it looks like it did before you took it out.

Name:  IMG_5894_zpscaeb88c0.jpg
Views: 20763
Size:  98.5 KB

6.) Put the cam gear back on.

Proceed with the remainder of your Timing belt job!

Closer picture of the seal installer tool. You need to make sure that the side of the pipe hitting the seal is flat. When I bought the pvc pipe the end was not flat so i used a compound miter saw to cut it straight. The pipe is 100psi poly pipe and came in small 2 ft sections. Total cost of pipe and T was $2.97

Name:  IMG_4017_zpse555b6e7.jpg
Views: 20014
Size:  71.7 KB

I will add torque specs later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1493_zps973fec34.jpg (90.6 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by GolNat; 05-03-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added Part #'s and Picture of tool
Old 05-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Cam and Crank Seal Replacement

I'm lovin the special tool seal installers there.
The only thing I'd do different with those is I'd look for tubes that are slightly larger diameter, if that's even possible. I prefer to push on the outer area of the seal instead of the inner, less chance of deforming if you have to use a lot of pressure or a hammer IMO.
Old 05-03-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: DIY: Cam and Crank Seal Replacement

Originally Posted by ezone
I'm lovin the special tool seal installers there.
Thanks. It was your idea.

The only thing I'd do different with those is I'd look for tubes that are slightly larger diameter, if that's even possible. I prefer to push on the outer area of the seal instead of the inner, less chance of deforming if you have to use a lot of pressure or a hammer IMO.
I would say thats a good idea. The next size up that they had in stock was to big but I possibly could have found another round object. The home improvement store has lots of round objects.