1st - 5th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

Information - Civic valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabian is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Information - Civic valve adjustment

My Manuel says to adjust the valves( intake) 0.007-0.009 (exhaust)0.009-0.011 how should I adjust my valves should I go in-between the two measurements of the intake and exhaust or should I just pick one measurement

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-30-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added Information to title
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough
Re: Civic valve adjustment

That's odd that the manual would say "between" 2 parameters. Usually it's a precise measurement, especially when you are talking about valves. To much distance and you will have "valve slap", to little and you will damage something severely. You can always call your local Honda dealer.

If it were my car, I would go with the middle, personal preference though
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

Fabian is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Civic valve adjustment

Thanks for the reply some people ave told e that I should adjust my valves to the smaller measurement first and the make sure that the other bigger measurement won't fit when trying to slide the Gage in for example intake is
(0.007-0.009) so I should be able to slide in the 0.007 feeler gauge with slight drag and the 0.009 gauge should not go in at all due to the size difference I'm just debating whether I should do the adjustment my self after reading so many post of people messing up there timing and burning valves I'm a bit car savvy but haven't messed with the inside of a cars engine yet I wouldn't like to have to tow it to a shop especially because I'm kinda broke right now I will be starting a new job after the new year maybe I'll just wait to get this ticking adjusted after I get my first check ps im also worried if I did adjust it myself if the ticking doesn't go away I'll be back at square one any advice will be appreciated thanks
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

so I should be able to slide in the 0.007 feeler gauge with slight drag and the 0.009 gauge should not go in at all
Not necessarily, Just know, everyone's feel is different. So, for person one, the .007 feel is tight and yet could still get .009 to fit really tight. another person may say .007 is good and .009 won't fit at all.

Rule of thumb is the same person should do all the valves.

(I am debating if) I should do the adjustment my self after reading
Do what ever you feel comfortable doing.

ps im also worried if I did adjust it myself if the ticking doesn't go away I'll be back at square one any advice will be appreciated thanks
So you want to check your valve alignment because there is a ticking noise?

Then what I would do is get the manual, follow the instructions for checking the valve clearance (removing the valve cover, getting to TDC, etc, etc...) and just getting a feel for all the valves, don't loosen or adjust any yet, just see what the average feel of the clearances are. If they all seem to be in the parameters, don't mess with it, you know its not the problem.

Just make sure before you check each set of valves, that piston is at TDC
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

B16PWRD is an unknown quantity at this point

good timing for the post, about to check mine in my 93 si, b16a, same idea.... ticky ticky click...
Old 04-18-2012
Registered!!

93bluecivic is an unknown quantity at this point

use the lower # for setting your valves
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

zoomersgarage is an unknown quantity at this point

also pick up SPTools P/N 11500 cam gear wrench to easily rotate the camshaft over when adjusting the valves, later.