Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction methods (Turbos & Nitrous Oxide) and swaps here

Power Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decil Ricer is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Wanted

Hey guys,

I own a '95 Civic EX. I am currently in the process of a complete rebuild of the interior and stereo system. I consider myself to be very good with car audio and interior work, however I am a true novice when it comes to working on engines. I know only the very basics.

While I'm restoring my car I decided I wanted to look into possibly upgraded some things on my engine to enhance my performance and fuel economy. This is my daily driver, and I'm more focused on gaining fuel economy, but I figure having a little more power to accelerate up hills and when getting on the freeway would really be nice (it's pretty hilly where I live and I can't stand when my car has to "crawl" up them).

Some things I have looked into doing to the engine are: HHO, programmer, turbo/super, ram intake, replacing spark plug wires and distributor cap, etc.

With the reading I've done I decided an HHO probably won't happen, a lot of it seems to be snake oil. I am interested in adding a programmer, but I don't know what programmer would be best for my civic so I am trying to get opinions from people who have programmers in their civics to see what model I might want to pick up. I would love to do a small turbo/super in my car for the experience and the power, however, I'm a broke college student so I can't afford to spend 2+k on one. Is it possible to even get a nice SMALL super/turbo under 2k? The basic things I thought I would do to the car if nothing else was install an AEM ram intake and replace the spark plug wires.

The engine is a D16z6. The only upgrades are a xs power D5100R battery and a HO alternator.

Any suggestions and advice on how I can get some extra power and mpg would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!