Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 honda civic dx no power to fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nate Gaskins is an unknown quantity at this point
93 honda civic dx no power to fuel pump

Bought a cheap 93 Honda civic dx the guy I got it from store it was just a bad distributor I've put a new one and it still wouldn't start since then ive replaced the spark plugs the spark plug wires the fuel pump and the main relay any suggestions would help greatly dont have the money to take it to the shop
Old 02-22-2020
Click Here

Received 1,156 Likes on 903 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 93 honda civic dx no power to fuel pump

Have you checked your ignition relay?
Old 03-03-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
Have you checked your ignition relay?
Ive checked it its good
Old 03-03-2020
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
silentz is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this same problem. My car would not start one morning, the fuel pump would not prime. I took the fuel pump from my auto civic that works and still no prime. Took the main relay, no prime, check fuse, all good. I ended up cleaning out the old dielectric grease from the fuel pump connector and reapply new grease. Now it works with the old fuel pump and everything is well again.
Old 03-03-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by silentz
I had this same problem. My car would not start one morning, the fuel pump would not prime. I took the fuel pump from my auto civic that works and still no prime. Took the main relay, no prime, check fuse, all good. I ended up cleaning out the old dielectric grease from the fuel pump connector and reapply new grease. Now it works with the old fuel pump and everything is well again.
My fuel pump kicks on like it's supposed to my engine is getting spark fuel air and compression I've replaced the relays and the fuses but still cant get it to start
but I appreciate any ideas u guys can come up with
Old 03-04-2020
Click Here

FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Well, engines need 5 things to run: Fuel, air, spark, timing, and compression. I'm assuming it has timing and compression, and there's no reason it wouldn't have air. It's most likely going to be spark or fuel, and it's really easy to check for spark.

Are you sure you're building up enough fuel pressure? Take off your airbox and spray starter fluid (not gas) directly into the intake. If it starts, you have a fuel problem, and it'll be most likely from the pump.
Old 03-04-2020
Registered!!

Well, engines need 5 things to run: Fuel, air, spark, timing, and compression. I'm assuming it has timing and compression, and there's no reason it wouldn't have air. It's most likely going to be spark or fuel, and it's really easy to check for spark.

Are you sure you're building up enough fuel pressure? Take off your airbox and spray starter fluid (not gas) directly into the intake. If it starts, you have a fuel problem, and it'll be most likely from the pump.
its getting spark and fuel I've tried everything the only thing I haven't had done is the timing bc I'm not sure how to do that myself
I've tried to find a detailed enough video but no luck
Old 03-04-2020
Click Here

If you have spark and compression, then it's most likely not a timing issue.

Things like this is why I never buy non-running cars. If the fix was as simple as a distributor, then the previous owner would have fixed it himself.

If you can, rent a fuel pressure gauge from your local auto parts store and check that. Everything you're saying keeps coming back to fuel.
Old 03-04-2020
Registered!!

If you have spark and compression, then it's most likely not a timing issue.

Things like this is why I never buy non-running cars. If the fix was as simple as a distributor, then the previous owner would have fixed it himself.

If you can, rent a fuel pressure gauge from your local auto parts store and check that. Everything you're saying keeps coming back to fuel.
I dont think it's the fuel bc the pump kicks on like it should and it's getting to the motor I'm not sure what it's called but there a bolt you can loosen and if it's getting fuel when the pump kicks on it will squirt some out which it does and I've also tested the fuel injectors they are firing like they are supposed to but hey I appreciate the advice I'll give it a shot cant hurt and I dont normally buy non running cars but I was kinda desperate and I believed the guy that the distributor was the only thing wrong bc hes my girlfriend's brother and I was thinking and told the same thing about the timing even if it was off as long as the moters getting everything it should at least try to start