Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cold delayed start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019
KnowsNada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JHOOD94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cold delayed start

So recently my Civic has began to have several issues. In the beginning I could drive the car without any problems. Then three weeks ago the car would become sluggish. I would coast to a stop or drop down to a lower gear and the car would either: stutter and drop to 300-800 rpm, stall while in motion or a stop light, or stall aftet a series of backfires.
So thanks to this forum I went through as many suggestions from checking for a vacuum leak to checking and correcting the fuel to air ratio. Thank you all for that. I have not had any more issues with that once the engine is warmed up.
But now for two weeks the car is struggling to start after cooling overnight or after a couple of hours. I turn the key and the car cranks, but doesn't turn over. I have to turn the key several times to get it to turn over. And when it starts the idle is so rough that I have to press the gas pedal and run the car at 2,000 rpm or higher to get it to warm without stalling. Several times the car has had a backfire.
I have replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, distributor, spark plug wires, oil filter and oil, coolant, and checked for fuel. But the problem persists. Any ideas? Thank you in advance for everything.
Old 11-02-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cold delayed start

CEL on?
Old 11-02-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

-temperture sensor
-air in coolant
-idle adjustment screw

Watch "How to solve honda idle problems", bu Eric the car guy, on youtube.
Old 11-02-2019
KnowsNada

Originally Posted by GolNat
CEL on?
So I am slowly plugging along on replacing, cleaning, or upgrading the necessary parts to clear the CEL's. But yes there is. As of right now now, the car is showing #6 which is because I broke the wire to the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor.
I have not been able to figure out how to read all CEL's, because the light will only show one at a time. Any suggestions? It is OBO1.
Old 11-02-2019
KnowsNada

And I will go look that video up tonight. Thank you.