Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Idle issues ONLY after cold start-up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What_It_Do will become famous soon enough
Idle issues ONLY after cold start-up.

2000 Civic DX automatic with 76k miles. All stock.

Let me first say that everything runs great after I put the vehicle out of park and into gear. Idles at 750rpm, all around performance and shifting..etc seems normal.

My issue is that when I first start the car (and the colder it is the worse these symptoms are) it will start and hold rev at about 1200-1500 for a few seconds, then increase to about 2000-2500 then drop to about 1000-1200 and repeat.
Eventually the idle settles down to about 1200, then gradually drops to 750.

It's been VERY cold here in Canada. Less than -5*F and after the RPM's rise, they drop all the way to zero (car stalls). Then I HAVE to push gas pedal while cranking to get the engine to turn over and accompanied by the small of gas, but from there it'll be OK. (No gas smell if I don't start car with gas pedal depressed)

Zero issues at all like I said while car is in gear. This only happens during initial start-up.

I cleaned the AICV, and didn't help symptoms at all. Spark plug wires/plugs, distro, air filter are all new. Had issue as well before changing these but it was summer and symptoms were not as noticeable, but still there.

Thought about changing fuel filter, but read these are a long service item and no issues going WOT. Next on the list was PCV and I can guarantee it's original. But read it may break while trying to remove, plus it's very cold here so I figured it'd be best to wait until spring unless I bring it to a shop.

No CEL on or any other indicating lights.

What else can I check?