Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D16Z6 engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loshan is an unknown quantity at this point
D16Z6 engine knock

Hello guys, I have a question, maybe it is general sense, but I'm new with fixing car myself, tried searching the web with no result... So, my question is - do I need to change main bearings when rod bearings gone bad? Yesterday engine started to knock, and it sounds like engine rod bearings went bad, a week ago changed the oil pan sealing and saw that there were a lot of (brass I think?) flakes in the oil pan, but didn't take it serious as dad said "Ah, it is normal for such old car". Why I am asking is that, I don't really like the idea to take the engine off the car and rebuild it (as I don't really have the means in doing it and already spent enough money for head restoration and all the head gaskets) because i have bought B18C4 that is sitting there and waiting for a rebuild and swap that will be done this winter (don't have enough cash right now to swap right away).
Old 05-28-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: D16Z6 engine knock

You can change the rod bearings by just removing the oil pan.

Make sure not to pull the pistons down any further than they sit on the crankshaft, because if the piston rings drop below the cylinder bore, the only way to get them back in, is by pulling the head.

Make sure to remove the spark plugs to make the engine easier to rotate.

And don't forget assembly lube!

Last edited by mac25; 05-28-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2019
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply, and for the tip with the pistons!
Old 05-28-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sliding fresh bearings in may be just a short term bandaid
If it really wasted or spun a rod bearing, it suffered more than just the bearing. The rod and crank are usually damaged in the process, and metal debris can be carried throughout the lubrication system to cause more problems later.
Dropping in a decent used engine may be cheaper than messing with a damaged engine.

WHY did it happen? RTV clogged up the oil sump?
Old 05-28-2019
Registered!!

The knocking starts only from 2k rpm, so I don't think that the situation with the crankshaft will be that bad, as I saw from youtube that the majority hear knocking already from low rpms. Plus as I said, I only need the engine to last me until ~ winter, as I got B18C4 sitting around, I rather put my money in that, than rebuilding the D16Z6.