Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird weekend: ‘91 Civic HB with pool of gas on ground

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BettyIsHerName is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird weekend: ‘91 Civic HB with pool of gas on ground

This morning I went outside to walk the dog and smelled a strong gas smell. Didn’t think anything of it, but upon return, looked over my shoulder and saw a big pool of gas on the ground under the driver’s side door of my Civic. There was gas all over the side of the car under the fill tube.

Just filled the tank to full yesterday. Live in a busy area and at first thought it was because some punk tried to siphon gas off of me.

That could still be the case but I tried to open the cap and gas spilled out. No hissing.

Prior to this, no issues - no gas smell inside car.... Then again... now that I think of it, there has been hesitation at times when barely pressing on gas pedal.

Any ideas as to why this has happened? Air in gas line? Charcoal canister not evaporating excess pressure in the fuel lines? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Any feedback would be appreciated so I can quit worrying that the mob is after me. LOL