Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery Charging

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Battery Charging

'95 EX Coupe
I left my car's lights on yesterday at work and battery was drained. Got a jump start and it started after a few minutes of charging. A month ago my son left the lights on and drained the battery. The battery is around a year old (Interstate brand 3 year warranty) and has never failed to start other than after lights left on. Anyway, after the battery was jumped yesterday I drove it on the highway for about 40 minutes on my return from work. After I returned home I shut the engine off, then I cranked it and it started right away so I figured it's charged. This morning (before work) all lights came on but starter didn't engage at all. When I returned home I jumped the battery again with my wife's car and it started right away. I also checked all the cells and they are full. Could draining the battery twice in a month's time damage the battery enough to where it won't hold a charge?

I removed the battery and plan to trickle charge the battery tonight..how long should I charge it for? The battery charger I'm using is an older Craftsman with a single amp meter ..it has only a 6/12 volt selection. I'm not sure if it's a high or low amp charger though my guess is that it's a low amp one.

As a side note the flat metal bar (aftermarket) that holds the battery down had a good sized dry acid build-up on it. However, there was no acid buildup on the battery posts. Also, most of my driving is less than five miles each way to my primary job. Second job is a 40 minute drive but that's just every other Saturday.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Battery Charging

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Could draining the battery twice in a month's time damage the battery enough to where it won't hold a charge?
It could. After it sits a while what is the voltage?

how long should I charge it for?
I would leave it over night. Its only going to take so much charge.
Old 08-05-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GolNat
It could. After it sits a while what is the voltage? I would leave it over night. Its only going to take so much charge.
Thanks GolNat, I'll have to check the voltage later today before I charge it. I also had in mind an overnight charge.

Old 08-05-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Batteries don't last nearly as long as they used to. Try charging it overnightbut I would guess it's toast. With the car running what is the voltage?
Old 08-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Leave battery charged up but disconnected. See if it drains itself after a couple days.
Measure vehicle drain with an ammeter to prove the car has a problem.
Old 08-06-2018

Charged battery overnight and barely started the car this morning before work. Got to work, shut off engine , tried to restart and starter barely turning. So, pretty sure battery is shot. I called Interstate Battery and they said they will test it at their local store near me and if it doesn't hold a charge they will take 45% off the price since I don't have the receipt (previous owner has receipt...purchased through the company he works for). Turns out it it's warranted for five years instead of three.
Old 08-06-2018

Originally Posted by ezone
Leave battery charged up but disconnected. See if it drains itself after a couple days.
Measure vehicle drain with an ammeter to prove the car has a problem.
There may be a slow parasitic drain going on. I am work now and will provide more info within the next few days
Old 08-06-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So if you connect jumper cables to your battery post cable clamps and it cranks GREAT that pretty much proves it's a battery problem-----unless you've got poor contact/corrosion between battery post and cable clamp.
Old 08-06-2018

So if you connect jumper cables to your battery post cable clamps and it cranks GREAT that pretty much proves it's a battery problem-----unless you've got poor contact/corrosion between battery post and cable clamp.
Yes. Cranks right up when jumped.
No corrosion on cables or posts but oddly enough a good amount of corrosion buildup on the metal bar that holds the battery down which rests between the two cells covers.

Here's what's somewhat concerning to me though. This is one of my previous threads concerning the push button starter issue I am still having https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ank-issue.html
It seems like whenever I jump the battery it starts right up on the first try using the push button. Yet, when the current battery was in working condition it might start on the first attempt but usually takes several attemps. My thought is maybe there's a very slow parasitic drain that never allows the battery to crank at optimum and causes several push button starting attempts?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-06-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2018

Yes. Cranks right up when jumped.
No corrosion on cables or posts but oddly enough a good amount of corrosion buildup on the metal bar that holds the battery down which rests between the two cells covers.

Here's what's somewhat concerning to me though. This is one of my previous threads concerning the push button starter issue I am still having https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ank-issue.html
It seems like whenever I jump the battery it starts right up on the first try using the push button. Yet, when the current battery was in working condition it might start on the first attempt but usually takes several attemps. My thought is maybe there's a very slow parasitic drain that never allows the battery to crank at optimum and causes several push button starting attempts?
Voltmeter. Test for voltage drop on the sol circuit through the pushbutton?

If there is a significant drop through the pushbutton switch contacts and the starter solenoid only receives maybe 9v instead of 12, how well do you think that's gonna work?
Loose terminals anywhere?
Old 08-06-2018

Voltmeter. Test for voltage drop on the sol circuit through the pushbutton?

If there is a significant drop through the pushbutton switch contacts and the starter solenoid only receives maybe 9v instead of 12, how well do you think that's gonna work?
Loose terminals anywhere?
Will test for voltage drop this Wednesday. No loose connections.
Actually, the push button used to start up on first try everytime until I tightened loose connections on starter solenoid months ago (just prior to the date of that linked thread). If I recall when I loosened one of the nuts (positive terminal IIRC) on the starter's solenoid the nut and threaded stud moved instead of just the nut..
I screwed the threaded stud in as snug as possible and used a lock washer for the nut. It hasn't backed out and is still tight but it seems like it effected contact inside the solenoid.
Old 08-07-2018

I am going to install headlights alarm like this:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-08-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2018

The plot thickens: brought in battery into local Interstate Battery store. They tested it and one cell is bad. Date sticker on battery states 2/17 however, the stamped date on plastic battery case states March 2015. The store warrants the stamped date only. What had happened was: the guy who sold me the car works at a marine supply store, his company ordered in the battery in February 2017 (a week after I purchased the car). So, my thinking is they (marine store) kept the new battery, gave me a used battery they had lying around (from 2015) and transferred the new sticker to the old battery. Quite the dick-move. Anyway, Interstate couldn't give me 45% off but they did give me 25% off..the battery ended up being $100 after discount. It's a 5 year pro-rated and if dies within the first two years it's a free exchange.

I didn't get time to check push button voltage drop. I've started the engine four times already since installing the battery and it started up on the first push of the button each time. I drive short distances to and from work and don't drive much when I'm off so, I plan to do a trickle charge maintenance every few months. I still intend to check for button voltage drop soon. I ordered the lights alarm on Ebay $2.50 for two..lol
Old 08-08-2018

If dead cell and replacement battery got it all working normally idk if I would mess with it much more.
Old 08-08-2018

If dead cell and replacement battery got it all working normally idk if I would mess with it much more.

The starting issues went on for months... was it most likely due from a battery that had a weak (and then finally dead) cell? It started on first button push again tonight.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-08-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Discharging the battery twice probably killed the cell. If its not a deep cycle battery they can't discharge like that. It is possible to "repair" the damaged cell by cramming high amperage into it. I used to work for a defense contractor that made battery units for the military. We used an AGM type battery and I had a water cooled "load bank" that could force 200 amps into a set of batteries (28v system). It was only a temporary fix but it helped break down the build up on the plates that caused the short.
Old 08-08-2018

Discharging the battery twice probably killed the cell. If its not a deep cycle battery they can't discharge like that. It is possible to "repair" the damaged cell by cramming high amperage into it. I used to work for a defense contractor that made battery units for the military. We used an AGM type battery and I had a water cooled "load bank" that could force 200 amps into a set of batteries (28v system). It was only a temporary fix but it helped break down the build up on the plates that caused the short.
Okay. Thanks.
The lights alarm should arrive within a week. I was going to bring an upcoming CV axle replacement to a mechanic but now I will do it myself to offset the $100 beans the battery cost.
Old 08-08-2018

was it most likely due from a battery that had a weak (and then finally dead) cell?
Not that it matters now, the car is fixed....but I want to nit pick this:
Exactly what test was done to prove an individual cell had a problem? (dead cell statement)

The handheld electronic gizmotron cannot tell for certain....Our handheld tester (Midtronics unit made or programmed for honda) used to say that for every battery that failed because that was the only answer that was programmed into it.

AFAIK the only way to prove it is measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte in all 6 cells and compare.
A refractometer is most accurate of course, but in the case of a somewhat charged car battery with a dead cell the floating ball style tester is usually good enough.

Old 08-08-2018
Prelude Owner

I could tell when I worked at my previous job from a discharge graph. A normal discharge graph would have a nice downward curve. If I got a battery with a bad cell the graph would have a sharp dip in (a 2v drop since it’s 2v per cell). This was a sure way to tell if there was an internal cell problem.

Edit good graph

[img]https://goo.gl/images/VDHoqE

Last edited by GolNat; 08-08-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2018

I could tell when I worked at my previous job from a discharge graph. A normal discharge graph would have a nice downward curve. If I got a battery with a bad cell the graph would have a sharp dip in (a 2v drop since it’s 2v per cell). This was a sure way to tell if there was an internal cell problem.

Edit good graph

[img]https://goo.gl/images/VDHoqE
Nice.

Does the same apply to a standard lead-acid battery? (it's surely similar)

I know when carbon pile load testing a battery with a weak cell --- voltage drops like a rock--- and could recognize it right away, but still needed to confirm specific gravity difference before declaring a problem within a specific cell.
Old 08-09-2018
Prelude Owner

I have never done lead acid but since they are very similar (one is wet the other dry) it should apply to that as well. That graph was the only thing I needed to prove a good or bad battery. The owner of the company who was crazy (but a genius) swore that’s all you needed and for his purposes it was. I’m sure the gravity test would definitely confirm it more but as far as we were concerned if it couldn’t handle the 1 hour load test then it was bad. He custom made programs and load banks to test his creations. I learned a lot from him even though he was an a-hole lol.
Old 08-09-2018

Not that it matters now, the car is fixed....but I want to nit pick this:
Exactly what test was done to prove an individual cell had a problem? (dead cell statement)

The handheld electronic gizmotron cannot tell for certain....Our handheld tester (Midtronics unit made or programmed for honda) used to say that for every battery that failed because that was the only answer that was programmed into it.

AFAIK the only way to prove it is measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte in all 6 cells and compare.
A refractometer is most accurate of course, but in the case of a somewhat charged car battery with a dead cell the floating ball style tester is usually good enough.
They did a floating ball chemical test. It wasn't holding a charge as I charged it up for 12 hours the night before and it could barely move the starter the day after.
Old 08-11-2018

Headlights alarm installed, new rear deck speakers installed, starter working on first try every time now. Ordered right front CV axle from rock auto: SurTrack brand $43. I used Surtrack once before on a previous 6th gen and it lasted 35k miles until I sold the car.

Tempted to do the following to the existing one and keep as a spare. I have a couple old D-series axles with good boots on the I can remove and use. First I will shave my beard down to the jazzy style goatee-mini beard dude in video has so I can do a right-proper job on me axle..too-right, mate:

Old 08-12-2018
Prelude Owner

Headlights alarm installed, new rear deck speakers installed, starter working on first try every time now. Ordered right front CV axle from rock auto: SurTrack brand $43. I used Surtrack once before on a previous 6th gen and it lasted 35k miles until I sold the car.
Good deal!! No more headlight draining (hopefully).

Tempted to do the following to the existing one and keep as a spare. I have a couple old D-series axles with good boots on the I can remove and use
Seems like a good idea especially seeing how straight forward it is and if you got the extra parts.

First I will shave my beard down to the jazzy style goatee-mini beard dude in video has so I can do a right-proper job on me axle..too-right, mate
Maybe having a snazzy jazzy beard helps (I’m not sure what that is though lol). I’ll keep my lumberjack beard for now

Old 10-16-2018

Me starter has gone back to it's ways of taking several attempts before finally starting. All grounds, terminals clean and connections are tight. Started on first attempt for first two weeks with new battery replacement but since then ( over a month ago) takes it usually takes several attempts until it starts the engine.

I (Dick) trickle charged it for six hours a couple weeks ago and for three days only it started on first attempt. I think I will test as Ezone prescribed: "Voltmeter. Test for voltage drop on the sol circuit through the pushbutton? If there is a significant drop through the pushbutton switch contacts and the starter solenoid only receives maybe 9v instead of 12, how well do you think that's gonna work?"
Old 05-12-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bowdown is an unknown quantity at this point

if the cells are dead cant be charged need to replace it for good