Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

vibration......

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ol Mans 91 LX is an unknown quantity at this point
vibration......

91 Civic LX Automatic 1.5L Vehicle has 108,000 miles on it & runs great (for what it is) Has a vibration @ idle bad enough to
shake the steering wheel. Just to be on the safe side, the T-belt, and tune up were done (due anyway) and the motor mount on
that end was checked for damage & appeared OK. The engine does not appear to have an abnormal amount of movement or
rocking on acceleration, however I have NOT checked the other mounts. Thoughts?
Old 04-09-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: vibration......

check the mounts
check timing
carb adjustment?
what idle RPM?
Old 04-10-2018
Registered!!

Yeah, this has been a problem w/this car for a little while unfortunately, but I really want to keep this car as nice as possible
as it is a one family car and pretty clean. I am using the factory tach. & it is idling at 750 in drive, so maybe a better tach needs to
be used to set it. As for the F.I unit, maybe the IAC needs to be cleaned as it is original but the rest of the adjustments seem
to be correct. (no check eng. Lite) I am planning on checking the rest of the mounts this Saturday (weather permitting)
along w/the timing & will LYK what I find. Thanks again
Old 04-10-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ow, yeah, 91 was FI, not carb... my bad
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Apparently the crank pulley/harmonic balancer is going bad. I understand that the aftermarket pulleys offered are NOT
a real good idea, however I cannot seem to find a suitable factory style replacement..........Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Member slumpertcivic seem to have experience in the dorman, so worth a try?

It's a different car generation, but if you can't find OE, try them?
post #18
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...on-engine.html
Old 04-12-2018
Registered!!

Yeah, I have had no luck other than of course getting the OEM part number.............56990-pm3-y01
Old 04-12-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

wow... I tried, it seem hard to find them...

there was one for 92 on partsgeek, and this one from summit (more "performance").

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...da/model/civic

or you could try scrap yards...

car-part.com

aftermarket might be using a different number than the OE part number, so search with year, make model instead
Old 04-13-2018
Registered!!

Yeah, hate to do that but may be the only option............Gonna also see if I can retro fit a multigroove pulley to the earlier P.S. pump so I can use the 92 & later
balancer/pulley assy. Will LYK & thanks for the assist!
Old 04-13-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

good luck!
Old 04-16-2018
Registered!!

Well...........
Managed to find a low mileage wreck near me with a good balancer! I also found a place in Ca. that can rebuild/
restore harmonic balancers. Had a quote of $93 so if anyone else has this problem........
I also did the research on swapping out the later (92-95) balancer. If you have manual steering,you are golden!
If you have power steering, the pulleys on the P.S. pump are different. The newer P.S. pulley is a multi-groove and will NOT
interchange on the older P.S. pump. If someone could make a sleeve to modify the newer pulley which is driven by a muti-groove
set-up to the "flat side" earlier pump than the swap is also do-able......Just an FYI & thanks to all who responded here.
Old 04-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

glad you got that solved and thanks for the info!