Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1995 Accord Fuel Issue?

Old 01-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CanadianAccord1 is an unknown quantity at this point
1995 Accord Fuel Issue?

Hi there guys!

First post here. I just had an issue with my car this morning and was wondering if any of you guys could give me some insight on what is actually going wrong, so that I could fix it. I really appreciate any input you may have. Thanks guys!!

THE EVENT:
This morning I went out to my car. I put the key to the "accessory" position, what this normally does is allow my fuel pump to turn on and prime itself/warm up, whatever it does (it seems to help), and then I turn the key all the way after like 3-4 seconds and start the car. I know to start it when the fuel relay (I think thats what it is) clicks off and the fuel pump stops humming, so that I know its "primed" or warmed up or whatever. Also the engine light is on for those 3-4 seconds when the fuel pump is humming, and then clicks off along with the fuel pump (hopefully this isn't a bad thing).

Today it did not turn on/hum/prime. The radio turned on, but the fuel pump seemed to be silent. I was able to start the car, although it seemed to take longer to crank over. I then started driving, and not 10 minutes later my car just died on me. The electrics continued working, but the engine was dead and I was rolling along the road.

TROUBLE SHOOTING:
Basically what is happening is the car has power (the accessories run, like the headlights, radio etc), but my car will not run. When I start it, it turns on (its a manual, so I'll put the clutch in, hold the brake, and crank the key all the way). As long as the starter is turning over, the engine will run (and the tachometer needle moves etc), but when I release the key it immediately stalls, like it stalls as I let go of the key. Giving the car gas does nothing to keep it running.

I have an inkling that maybe this is a fuel pump/relay/filter issue

NOTES:
1) It's somewhat cold out, but I don't think it should affect the car's performance. Last winter when it got lower than -10'C (14'F) I basically couldn't start it at all.
2) I have not changed the fuel filter at all since owning the car (have had it for about 2 yrs/20,000 km (12,500 miles), and I have no idea when it was last done by the previous owner.
3) A brand new battery was put in last year (with high cold cranking amps)
4) I've put in fuel injector cleaners/fuel line thawers about 2-3 times, but the last time I did that was last winter.
5) I have run the tank pretty close to totally empty numerous times, and only just recently realized that it is bad for the fuel pump.
6) As I mentioned above, the engine light clicks on for the short amount of time when the fuel pumps "primes" (if that is what it is doing), but disappears when the fuel pump/relay clicks off. I have previously ignored this issue and hope it wasn't a bad thing to do.
Old 01-06-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1995 Accord Fuel Issue?

when I release the key it immediately stalls, like it stalls as I let go of the key.
If all the dash warning lights stay OFF as though the key was turned off, that should be a bad ignition switch. One can usually watch the dash lights blink off and on several times as the key is slowly rotated before starting the engine when this is bad. Often the symptom gets worse the longer the engine has been running.

OTOH if all the usual warning lights stay on unfailingly after the engine stalls, I'd suspect the main relay and test accordingly.
Old 01-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CanadianAccord1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1995 Accord Fuel Issue?

So I decided to take it to a mechanic. I think you are right, we tried that and it seems the switch is starting to fail. If you hold it just right the car will keep running. I'll post again when I have it fixed. Thanks!