I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Front Right Speaker Shuts off When Turning on The Car

Old 12-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RolandP is an unknown quantity at this point
Front Right Speaker Shuts off When Turning on The Car

Hello Everyone I'm new here!

I have an odd problem with my 8th Gen Civic Hybrid. I recently installed some new speakers and they sound much better than the stock ones. However I noticed recently that one of them, the front passenger one, turns off shortly after powering the car on. No around of settings adjustments/power on/offs will make that speaker turn on.

All the speakers stay powered on and sound fine when I turn the key without powering the car on. This leads me to believe that its not a loose connection, or a bad speaker.

Would anyone happen to have an idea on whats going on here?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front Right Speaker Shuts off When Turning on The Car

Take the speaker out of the door and try it while holding it in your hands.
Try disconnecting the dash tweeter too. Maybe you didn't use the correct ohm speakers?

Then, Just for laughs, put the original speakers back in and see if it still cuts out
Old 12-30-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply,

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to take off that door panel once again, but it seems I have no choice.

Whats really throwing me off is that the speaker only cuts off with the car powered on.
Old 12-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it sounded weird to me and I don't really know, but the first thought I had was to suspect the ohm value is too low for at least one speaker.
The radio might see it as a short and shut it off once voltage rises (when the alternator starts charging).

Next possibility might be the terminals grounding out on the door metal.
Old 12-31-2015
Registered!!

Update:

I took the door panel off and took a close look at the speaker contacts, and it seems that they were making contact with the car body. I covered the contacts with tape and tested the speaker with the car on, and everything sounds great!

I didn't do that with my driver's side speaker, but if it cuts off in the future I'll know whats up.

Cheers!