Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1995 Civic cranks great , won'tr start until ignition is on for a minute

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rford65 is an unknown quantity at this point
1995 Civic cranks great , won'tr start until ignition is on for a minute

Hi, my daughters 1995 civic,98000 miles, cranks wonderfully but won't start. I read somewhere to turn the key to the ON position for a minute and then try it. This works every time. I would love to identify the issue and try to fix this but can't find that original post. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 10-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1995 Civic cranks great , won'tr start until ignition is on for a minute

Wildass guess, ECM bad?
Old 10-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Is it a full minute? I have to turn mine to on and let it sit until the CEL goes out to allow the fuel pump to prime. then it starts fine.

I also had an issue where I had to crank the engine for 13 seconds, then start it again. That took a replacement of the ECU to fix.
Old 11-20-2015
Registered!!

Trunks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rford65
Hi, my daughters 1995 civic,98000 miles, cranks wonderfully but won't start. I read somewhere to turn the key to the ON position for a minute and then try it. This works every time. I would love to identify the issue and try to fix this but can't find that original post. Any thoughts?
Thanks

It's the ecu for sure I wasted 100s at the mechanic for a 50 dollar part.
Old 11-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Bad fuel pressure regulator.

Your regulator is leaking pressure as it sits with no pump on. When you let the ignition sit on for a minute the pump builds pressure back up and it can start.

Does it start right away if it's just been running? And not start when it has been sitting for a while?
Old 11-21-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
Bad fuel pressure regulator.

Your regulator is leaking pressure as it sits with no pump on. When you let the ignition sit on for a minute the pump builds pressure back up and it can start.

Does it start right away if it's just been running? And not start when it has been sitting for a while?

On mine I literally checked everything and paid a mechanic to check everything. Then I paid another for nothing.

I would turn my key on and check engine light would remain on solid rather than flashing for a second while I turned the key on. It would not start while light was solid. How long it stayed solid got longer and longer until I would have to wait ten mins to start the car. I changed the computer it worked right away
Old 11-21-2015
Registered!!

You need another ecu. Is the car leaking water there
Old 11-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Trunks
On mine I literally checked everything and paid a mechanic to check everything. Then I paid another for nothing.

I would turn my key on and check engine light would remain on solid rather than flashing for a second while I turned the key on. It would not start while light was solid. How long it stayed solid got longer and longer until I would have to wait ten mins to start the car. I changed the computer it worked right away
Disregard my last post. 10 minutes is too long for pressure regulator to build pressure. It is something else. It must be the puter