Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/237-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   1995 Civic cranks great , won'tr start until ignition is on for a minute (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/237-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/365698-1995-civic-cranks-great-wontr-start-until-ignition-minute.html)

rford65 10-31-2015 02:13 PM

1995 Civic cranks great , won'tr start until ignition is on for a minute

Hi, my daughters 1995 civic,98000 miles, cranks wonderfully but won't start. I read somewhere to turn the key to the ON position for a minute and then try it. This works every time. I would love to identify the issue and try to fix this but can't find that original post. Any thoughts?
Thanks

ezone 10-31-2015 05:06 PM

Re: 1995 Civic cranks great , won'tr start until ignition is on for a minute

Wildass guess, ECM bad?

TiggerDX 10-31-2015 07:18 PM

Is it a full minute? I have to turn mine to on and let it sit until the CEL goes out to allow the fuel pump to prime. then it starts fine.

I also had an issue where I had to crank the engine for 13 seconds, then start it again. That took a replacement of the ECU to fix.

Trunks 11-20-2015 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by rford65 (Post 4696498)
Hi, my daughters 1995 civic,98000 miles, cranks wonderfully but won't start. I read somewhere to turn the key to the ON position for a minute and then try it. This works every time. I would love to identify the issue and try to fix this but can't find that original post. Any thoughts?
Thanks

It's the ecu for sure I wasted 100s at the mechanic for a 50 dollar part.

Mad Dog Tannen 11-21-2015 09:47 AM

Bad fuel pressure regulator.

Your regulator is leaking pressure as it sits with no pump on. When you let the ignition sit on for a minute the pump builds pressure back up and it can start.

Does it start right away if it's just been running? And not start when it has been sitting for a while?

Trunks 11-21-2015 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen (Post 4697770)
Bad fuel pressure regulator.

Your regulator is leaking pressure as it sits with no pump on. When you let the ignition sit on for a minute the pump builds pressure back up and it can start.

Does it start right away if it's just been running? And not start when it has been sitting for a while?

On mine I literally checked everything and paid a mechanic to check everything. Then I paid another for nothing.

I would turn my key on and check engine light would remain on solid rather than flashing for a second while I turned the key on. It would not start while light was solid. How long it stayed solid got longer and longer until I would have to wait ten mins to start the car. I changed the computer it worked right away

Trunks 11-21-2015 12:33 PM

You need another ecu. Is the car leaking water there

Mad Dog Tannen 11-22-2015 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Trunks (Post 4697786)
On mine I literally checked everything and paid a mechanic to check everything. Then I paid another for nothing.

I would turn my key on and check engine light would remain on solid rather than flashing for a second while I turned the key on. It would not start while light was solid. How long it stayed solid got longer and longer until I would have to wait ten mins to start the car. I changed the computer it worked right away

Disregard my last post. 10 minutes is too long for pressure regulator to build pressure. It is something else. It must be the puter