Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 Hatchback VX stalls on freeway then wont start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Massiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 93 Hatchback VX stalls on freeway then wont start!!!

Ok guys here's the deal. I recently found a 93 hatchback VX (thank you mpg gods) I took it to the shop because it was overheating, fixed the head gasket, etc. Its giving a CEL code of 48 o2 sensor but mechanic said it wasnt that big of a deal, and I could get a new 02 sensor but they are ridiculously expensive say $300 bucks.

I drive to work and she's fine, on the way back from work around 8am, I'm just cruising along on the freewayand all of a sudden its like the car is stuck @ 60 mph. At first I thought it was just because there was a slight uphill, so I down shifted into 4th gear to get some rpms going....still stuck at 60 mph, eventually im going downhill and no matter what I do to the gas pedal ( I had it floored) it starts coasting gradually and then shuts off.

I never lost power to any of my electrical stuff like lights, dash board light, etc. I coast to the side of the freeway, tried to restart and it turns over just fine, but wont start, after several tries I can hear the battery start to lose power, so I call triple A and two hours later they are there, I get towed 91 miles home, and i'm pissed as hell.

Please help me trouble shoot this, I've read several things about the main relay etc, I turn the key, the CEL goes on for 2seconds then clicks, so perhaps its not that. I dont know where else to go, and I'd like to fix it myself, I come to you looking for answers, I like this new (to me) hatch but am so pissed after dropping some coin to get the head gasket and other things fixed, now its just dead in my driveway. Thanks in advance for the help, I need all I can get!
Old 08-26-2013
Registered!!

Massiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 93 Hatchback VX stalls on freeway then wont start!!!

45 views and no one can lend a helping hand? Come on brothas, I need some help here.
Old 08-27-2013
Registered!!

kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 93 Hatchback VX stalls on freeway then wont start!!!

sounds like timing belt broke if you suddenly lost power but not electrical. open up that cover a little a take a look