Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help! In need of some tips and know how.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrCooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help! In need of some tips and know how.

New to the forum and need some help. I just got new tires and went to get an alignment at the shop I always go to. They came back saying that my whole front end is gone and want $2200 in parts and labor. I was wondering if there is any options of doing performance parts for cheaper than stock, and I was looking for tips for saving money since times are tight for me, I start college in the fall. DIY tips would be good too. Thanks.

Things in need of repair
Steering rack- They are charging $347.78, I'm not really sure what they mean by "steering rack"

Outer Tie rod end-$114.96 for two

Upper Ball Joints-$144.08 for both
Lower Ball Joints-$176.68 for both

Front Struts-$260.72 for both
Front Strut Mount-$38.40 for one

CV Joints-$226.96 for both

and $1170.40 in labor w/ a $400 discount if I get it done all at once.

Old 11-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help! In need of some tips and know how.

Find an honest and competent shop, not a chain store.

Someone needs to point out and prove all that stuff needs to be done. The car has high miles and it COULD need all that, but an honest second or third opinion can be quite valuable.
Old 07-28-2013
Registered!!

Jeremy71667 is an unknown quantity at this point

Screw that noise ! Listen , you can get a repair manual for 30 bucks and all the parts you need to do the job at oreillys or another parts store and do the work yourself. The "rack" your mechanic is talking about usually refers to rack and pinion steering which is power assist to the power steering pump. When you look under the front of the car it will look like two small shock absorbers going side to side. If you don't have those, then he is probably talking about the front end as a whole rack, like a rack of ribs lol. The parts you need are moderately inexpensive at a parts store and can be replaced fairly easy given you have the tools. Your upper and lower ball joints may have to be pressed out and back in by a shop unless you buy the control arm with the joints already in them. A tad more expensive but worth it if you don't have a press and don't want to pay someone to do it. The only thing you might need a shop for would be the alignment. I wouldn't tackle that myself because of the issue you would have with tire wear. Either way, doing the majority of the work yourself will save you tons of money and enhance your general knowledge plus give you a manly sense of accomplishment lol!
Old 07-28-2013
Registered!!

Jeremy71667 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your other parts should go on like the old ones came off, just make mental notes of that during disassembly. Work from the outside of the car in when taking it apart and vice versa when putting back together